Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 10:12 PM

183 posts, read 121,802 times

Advertisements

Depends upon where you are comparing the country to. Which you haven't said.

Compared to "Everywhere" else, is a bit disingenuous.

I would say Canada is more laid back, casual, and less pressured to impress anyone else with flashy displays of wealth or drama. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 04:11 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post

I would say Canada is more laid back, casual, and less pressured to impress anyone else with flashy displays of wealth or drama. But that's just me.
Let's face it; Canada is compared to only one other country. Any guesses? Well it does have borders with Denmark (by way of Greenland) and France (by way of St. Pierre & Micquelon).

Old 07-30-2022, 05:04 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Can’t speak for Vancouver but I can see Toronto being “a little boring”. It’s become a very materialistic, antisocial sort of place since the late 90s/early 00s. Kind of the same snooty attitude associated with places like Paris but without the fun stuff. Bylaws are very strict and there’s definitely a NIMBY attitude towards young people having fun. Montreal and Winnipeg on the other hand I found to be very friendly, fun places. Montreal especially has amazing nightlife and culture that’s sadly been sort of lost in Toronto with the financialization of the economy
I don't agree that it is but Toronto being called boring isn't new at all.

It's the classic knock on the city.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Wasn’t the old nickname “Toronto the good“ for being carpeted with churches?

Old 07-30-2022, 05:21 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wasn’t the old nickname “Toronto the good“ for being carpeted with churches?
Not sure about it being all about that.

More about the city's numerous rules and the denizens' likelihood of abiding by them. I mean the cops wanted to arrest Madonna during her show once.

Mark Twain or WC Fields said that Toronto had the most boring Sundays in the world.

OK, that is just one day a week but still...

Old 07-30-2022, 05:50 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post

I’d agree with you 20 years ago, but the wealth divide is very apparent nowadays between the haves and have nots with the haves being very flashy and materialistic IMO. At least in and around Toronto/Southern Ontario

Old 07-30-2022, 07:04 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:

Yeah I don't really get it either and I have heard this knock as you say. It has a pretty decent list of attractions ie musuems, art galleries and just general things to do that a big city usually has. Lots of different ethnic cuisines - other cities do but given the more extreme diversity of the city, you do get more of that if you're into it - and good array of festivals etc. So yeah, lots to see and do unless you just don't want to see and do.

For nightlife, I think it used to be more prominent aka days of Electric Circus in the 90's. Actually T.O was very much known for its nightlife then. I think development has chipped away at some of that. Heck clubs I went to in my younger years are long gone but there are new one's popping up.

If someone has a preference for another city by all means - but just generalizing it as bland and boring I don't think is a fair assessment, but to each their own. That all said, with all these bland labels the city gets, it may just mean more people are pleasantly surprised that when they come and actually walk around the city, and explore the nabe's they may actually be pleasantly surprised. It has its quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’d agree with you 20 years ago, but the wealth divide is very apparent nowadays between the haves and have nots with the haves being very flashy and materialistic IMO. At least in and around Toronto/Southern Ontario
I'm not sure if this is really a T.O thing. Things have gotten more expensive but that is sort of a generalized problem in many places. I think what has happened though is how people live in the city has changed. More people living with roommates. More houses partitioned to include more rooms etc. Aside from that, I don't see a big difference in terms of 'flashy' and materialistic. T.O actually meshes haves and have not as you say, probably better than most cities TBH. St Jamestown which is one of the poorest hoods of the city is intermingled with Cabbagetown which has legacy Bay and Gables each worth millions. Lots of places in the city like that and more so as you go outside the core. I mean to a degree, every city has its wealthy areas separated by its middle or lower class areas. Wealthy people just like to live in gated communities. This is nothing that Toronto has ownership of so i'm struggling to get what you're getting at unless you get into more details!?

I've travelled to many places globally and quite a bit more of them are a lot flashier and materialistic than Toronto. Actually, I really wouldn't categorize most Torontonians as flashy tbh. Montrealer's are more flashy imo. Generally they dress better - but that is me.

Southern Ontario as a whole - Flashy and materialistic. Really?? Have you been to London or Windsor lol??

Last edited by fusion2; 07-30-2022 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 07:37 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
PDW - A guy in the world forums in C/D from Australia posted in a Sydney vs Toronto urban comparison thread, that he enjoyed watching this youtubers vids on Toronto. So I thought i'd post one of them here - this one just two weeks ago. Its 52 minutes long and i'm not expecting anyone to watch minutes for minute lol, but if you or anyone glides through the video, I simply don't see egregious displays of wealth or flashiness at all lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_WJEdYzEg

Old 07-30-2022, 07:37 AM

1,116 posts, read 606,309 times
I remember Anthony Bourdain dissing Toronto... saying that the city was "blah" when it comes to architecture, etc.

Meanwhile, when he was in Montreal, it was over the top praise for the culture, ambience, food, architecture.

I think a lot of ppl love dissing TO. Let's be honest, it is pretty much the biggest most important city in Canada when it comes to the economy, etc. and a lot of ppl are tired of hearing about it. Remember Mel Lastman calling in the army (didn't know we had one lol) when Toronto had a massive snowstorm?

Canada is "boring" because we are compared to the US. Canada being mostly a Liberal type of country VS the Republican states will obviously feel more casual, laid back, "nice" ... and boring.

As for the have and have nots... yeah, it's a HUGE divide in big cities like Toronto. Esp when it comes to real estate, rentals, home ownership.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Mark Twain or WC Fields said that Toronto had the most boring Sundays in the world.

OK, that is just one day a week but still...
Sunday’s being boring come from church attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada