Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Hey Tosin, since you're good with numbers. According to the link I'm going to provide, the city of Montreal population (as of July 1st, 2017) is 1,777,058 and the island slightly above 2,025,000. Would you agree with the projected number given?

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...file=67700.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 PM

168 posts, read 194,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Hey Tosin, since you're good with numbers. According to the link I'm going to provide, the city of Montreal population (as of July 1st, 2017) is 1,777,058 and the island slightly above 2,025,000. Would you agree with the projected number given?

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...file=67700.pdf
Ya that seems fair/ accurate to me, it was the City that conducted the Census no?

Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Welcome back Tosin!
Thanks Acajack it's nice to see u around again too, I'm happy that after all this time you've still been so nice/ kind to me! Also my little sister moved to Ottawa last year so who know's if I ever visit her someday maybe I have an opportunity to run into u as well.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Wow! That was quick, thanks Tosin007! I really missed your stats thread after your ban, as did a lot of other forumers at SSP!

I’m sure some people will come on here and complain about whatever they feel isn’t exactly right with some numbers, but they have to realize it’s an estimate, not an official count. Many will consider it folly, but there are many of us who really appreciate your hard work and contribution, and enjoy the conversation that comes from it, thanks again!

Just be warned that it is not nearly as civil here as it is at SSP, so be prepared for that, it can get pretty bad!
Haha I missed my own Stat's too. Tbh it was boring the past couple months of my life that I still had the Spreadsheet's/ Stats up but just nowhere to share it in general.
After a while I got tired of compiling them & just decided that it's time for me to come back to the Online Message Board World!
& yup exactly it is just that! An Estimate, am I 100% Accurate/ correct? Probably not, but I do try to be as close/ realistic as possible to give people a general idea/ guideline of Canada, it's Population & how it's various CMA's & CA's are growing from a Month to Month basis. Now I realize that Statistics Canada. (Or individual Municipal Census Counts), Such as the Alberta Municipal Census (Which is conducted every year), & the Quebec Statistics, I have to therefore readjust some of my estimates for that.

& ya haha thanks for the heads up! I kind of realized that when I was comparing Toronto to Los Angeles on another thread/ topic on the forum already. Wow only a couple of day's back & I already have a ton of post's it's nice & I feel good!

Old 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
What methodology are you using (sorry haven't dug through the thread)? Are you just applying similar linear growth rates as based on StatsCan city estimates on http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&id=510056 ?

Interesting data nonetheless

Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
PS. For those of u that don't know me,
Who are you you Welcome to the forum - just don't blow it on this site like the last - j/k lol. Any new member who isn't a troll and wants to contribute is always a nice thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
get to know me & lets stay friends online (& plz try to be civil even if u don't 100% agree with everything I have to say).
& yes I also update my Statistical Estimates along with Statistics Canada's Quarterly Estimates & in accordance with the Federal Census. (Although the Quarterly Estimates tend to be the most reliable Statistically with the fewest undercounts).
I definitely think your estimates for Toronto are more accurate than the latest official census stats by Stats Canada. I still think we should adopt more of a MSA type count rather than CMA. I prefer looking at the population of a contiguous urbanized area as opposed to counts with arbitrary boundaries.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I definitely think your estimates for Toronto are more accurate than the latest official census stats by Stats Canada. I still think we should adopt more of a MSA type count rather than CMA. I prefer looking at the population of a contiguous urbanized area as opposed to counts with arbitrary boundaries.
Can you elaborate? I thought the only substantive differences were that CMAs are municipality-based while MSAs are county-based, and Canada doesn’t have an equivalent to CSAs.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Can you elaborate? I thought the only substantive differences were that CMAs are municipality-based while MSAs are county-based, and Canada doesn’t have an equivalent to CSAs.
They are conceptually similar but the methodology by which adjacent municipalities are counted is more stringent in Canada. Someone can correct me if I am wrong - yourself included - because this can get pretty technical (commuter thresholds etc), but an adjacent county in the U.S would be counted within a MSA that would not be counted in a CMA even if all criteria are the same.

That all said, I'm not exactly enthralled by either the CMA or MSA as a measure of an urban area population (though I detest CSA's - these things can extend into several States and are more like regions than urban areas). I prefer measuring a contiguous urban area. I think that type of measure gives a more true depiction of how large an urban area is when it comes to population. Outside of that countries can use a variety of different means to account for population that aren't necessarily a true reflection of city or metro population.

In the case of Toronto - it is safe to say that as a contiguous urbanized area - it anchors a region much larger than its CMA population accounts for.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Who are you you Welcome to the forum - just don't blow it on this site like the last - j/k lol. Any new member who isn't a troll and wants to contribute is always a nice thing

I would echo these comments from fusion and urge Tosin to exercise a bit more restraint on certain topics. I think he knows which ones.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would echo these comments from fusion and urge Tosin to exercise a bit more restraint on certain topics. I think he knows which ones.
Yup! Anyways just know if I don't post anything anymore it means I have died suddenly
or prematurely, today I was just at the Peter Laughed Hospital in NE Calgary.
(With an abnormal heart rhythm), they brought it back down to levels under 130-140
Beats Per Minute, but honestly I really/ seriously feared for my life back there.
They told me it was anxiety & other than that gave me a clean bill of health.
(& also said that I was low on Magnesium but definitely did help to rectify it/ that).
I'm too young to go. (Think shy of 28), but honestly sometimes I do fear
for my life I guess. My friend Heather thinks I might have Heart Failure but honestly
it was just today, never in my life has my heart rate suddenly spiked/
doubled like that for no reason @ all. I damn near feel like I almost had Cardiac Arrest.
It was so painful! But yes if I don't post anything anymore just know that means I have likely died.
For now though I will try my best to live for as long as possible. (Say minimum of 60+ years or so)
& of course to give/ provide you guy's with Monthly Population Estimates/ Statistics.
As for my legacy, just look for it online on
Skyscraperpage I guess. Anyways I don't take/ do any drugs or nothing,
I eat my Fruits/ Vegetables like a good Man does/ should, make sure
to drink plenty of water, sleep well & used to exercise ALOT! (Prior to maybe a year ago).
But I feel like it's just because I no longer have the time to really.
Also the past few nights I'd be lying if I didn't say that I didn't struggle to sleep a full 8 Hours anymore.
Although I did do Drugs once in my life before though. (Unadmittedly in my teens),
but that was like forever ago, a full decade & change has passed right?
But yes I dunno I do feel better now. (Don't get me wrong),
but if I suddenly stopped posting, yup I'm probably dead
So don't get mad @ me I'm trying my best for that not to happen, kk later/ pce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada