Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ric-drugs.html

Generics360 - Generic Drugs in Canada, 2014

2016 article, with associated study from Q4 2014.

Most states have their own prescription drug coverage as well. People also have insurance last I checked.
Thanks.

Some people have insurance.

https://www.kff.org/uninsured/fact-s...ed-population/

...but this is getting off track. Generic drugs being slight cheaper in the US than in Canada doesn't tell the whole story about coverage, and access etc.

I'd call this a wash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:41 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Copy of a post I made in the Politics forum in October

It seems Canadians are paying jaw-dropping high prices for generic drugs.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the link below to see a table comparing prices of 15 top-selling generic drugs in Canada, Sweden, the United States (Veterans Administration), and New Zealand:

Generic drug prices could drop - if rebates are replaced with public tendering - Healthy Debate

Example: Atorvastatin for cholesterol, one 20 mg tablet

Canada - $0.33
Sweden- $0.08
U.S. Veterans Adminisration - $0.04
New Zealand - $0.03

I wish the chart included prices for other countries as well as for the U.S. general public.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:21 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I find this as well, especially restaurant meals.
But don’t you get more food on your plate at an American restaurant?

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
That's been my experience but what are you supposed to do with all that extra food? It always seemed like a terrible waste to me and generally I don't like to take food home from a place.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 AM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Define "more"... more quality food or more cheap junk? And why "more" is needed? When "more" will be enough? Heard about obesity plague?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That's been my experience but what are you supposed to do with all that extra food? It always seemed like a terrible waste to me and generally I don't like to take food home from a place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Define "more"... more quality food or more cheap junk? And why "more" is needed? When "more" will be enough? Heard about obesity plague?
What a specious argument, in view of the thread topic. We aren't talking about obesity here or whether you like leftovers. If in Canada you are paying more at a restaurant for less food, then by definition restaurant meals are more expensive in Canada. If you want less anyway, that's great. But for getting less, you should also be paying less.

Anyway, many, many people count on taking food home from a US restaurant for the next day. They are getting MORE for their money. Thread topic, right?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I wasn't making any argument. I was wondering what people do with all that food. I can understand taking home some food, but the giant plates of breakfast things - do eggs, pancakes and such things reheat well? Do the majority of people take home food?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Depends. Mid-range and low-range restaurants, yes. Higher end, no.

Also all that extra food goes to waste for most people. For people used to normal portions, it comes across as sort of crude.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What a specious argument, in view of the thread topic. We aren't talking about obesity here or whether you like leftovers. If in Canada you are paying more at a restaurant for less food, then by definition restaurant meals are more expensive in Canada. If you want less anyway, that's great. But for getting less, you should also be paying less.

Anyway, many, many people count on taking food home from a US restaurant for the next day. They are getting MORE for their money. Thread topic, right?
It's more complicated than that. For junk food type restaurants, you may get larger portions, although many diner type places give too much food in Canada as well, but more doesn't necessarily mean better value.

Quality pays a role in value as well. I have been shocked at some of the junk food I've bought from BK and DQ in parts of California. They used liquid cheese on a cheeseburger in one DQ in Oregon. I'm sure it varies from place to place, but as I said, more doesn't equate to bette value.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I wasn't making any argument. I was wondering what people do with all that food. I can understand taking home some food, but the giant plates of breakfast things - do eggs, pancakes and such things reheat well? Do the majority of people take home food?
I can't give you any percentage, but when my family goes out to eat (and these would be low to mid-range, as we don't do "high end" restaurants), someone virtually always brings food home. And yes, we eat it the next day.

Breakfast is not a meal we eat out more than once in a blue moon. But especially for breakfast, menus tend to be precise. If you're at Denny's and you order a stack of pancakes, two eggs, two sausages, four strips of bacon, a slice of ham, and hash browns, you know what you're in for and it's your own fault if it's too much. Personally I loathe the place, only go there under duress (my in-laws like it), and wouldn't order that stuff anyway.

Is bringing home leftovers really not done in Canada? If for some reason you can't finish, leaving food on the plate is certainly more wasteful than being served too much and saving it for later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada