Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:39 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
An observation to be noted would be one that Canadians do not go out to dinner with the intended consequence to take left overs home with them for the express purpose of providing another meal.

Americans consider that prospect the norm.
How would you know this? Did you take a survey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Had you forgotten you asked the question, to wit: "Is bringing home leftovers really not done in Canada? If for some reason you can't finish, leaving food on the plate is certainly more wasteful than being served too much and saving it for later."
Sure, I did wonder, considering that when the cost of restaurant meals was brought up, several posters chimed to the effect that "Portions in the US are huge and 'crude'; portions in Canada are the 'normal' size and therefore don't result in leftovers."

Since one implication made was that Americans are so much fatter than Canadians because of their huge portions, I'll mention that the difference in obesity rates between the US (33%) and Canada (28%) is significant, but not exactly stunning.

I still think it's curious that when the cost of restaurant meals was brought up, the immediate Canadian reaction was "Well, who needs more food anyway?" and "Food quality in Canada is much better than in the US."

I think if someone said "Gas is cheaper in the US than Canada," some Canadians would reply, "Our gas is higher quality" and "Who needs to drive so much anyway."

Last edited by saibot; 01-26-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
I think the prices on this menu of a Montreal restaurant are on the high side. I was wondering if these prices are considered high in Canada.
BEAUTYS LUNCHEONETTE MONTREAL 1942

Old 01-26-2018, 01:36 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't give you any percentage, but when my family goes out to eat (and these would be low to mid-range, as we don't do "high end" restaurants), someone virtually always brings food home. And yes, we eat it the next day.

Breakfast is not a meal we eat out more than once in a blue moon. But especially for breakfast, menus tend to be precise. If you're at Denny's and you order a stack of pancakes, two eggs, two sausages, four strips of bacon, a slice of ham, and hash browns, you know what you're in for and it's your own fault if it's too much. Personally I loathe the place, only go there under duress (my in-laws like it), and wouldn't order that stuff anyway.

Is bringing home leftovers really not done in Canada? If for some reason you can't finish, leaving food on the plate is certainly more wasteful than being served too much and saving it for later.
I'm still not making an argument. Sometimes threads take a spin sideways. I am not a regular traveller to the US and I can't name whatever places I ate at either - I'm going to guess mostly low to middle end when travelling through places and we just wanted a bite to eat but I was always astounded by the amount of food.

I think it's well established that food prices are higher here.

I do not recall ever getting a plate of anything here that amounted to anything like the sizes of portions in the States. And I tend to agree with BruSan - there may be people who take food home but I have never noticed it and you'd think I would have noticed it on some level even if I myself didn't take a bag home. The only person I've ever heard of taking restaurant food home is my sister's MIL, who was a displaced person during the second world war and you could say she has food issues.

The portions are smaller and hopefully I like what I have ordered and would tend to finish it and if I didn't like it that day, I'm certainly not going to like it the next day.

When we do go out to dinner, I want to enjoy myself, the food and the company. I have never even thought about taking home leftovers. I would guess that it's very uncommon in Canada. Which is not to say that some people don't do that. And I'm not saying they should or they shouldn't.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the prices on this menu of a Montreal restaurant are on the high side. I was wondering if these prices are considered high in Canada.
BEAUTYS LUNCHEONETTE MONTREAL 1942
Not overly for a city.

Are these considered high for the US? This is a place in Boston that offers similar fare.

Menus

Old 01-26-2018, 01:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
How would you know this? Did you take a survey?
Well in keeping with the other stuff offered anecdotally; does living in the U.S. for 6 months of every year since 2001 give me any credibility?

How much of what has been posted on here regarding either country was the result of any "survey", or is it just the stuff about Americans you find objectionable/questionable?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Sure, I did wonder, considering that when the cost of restaurant meals was brought up, several posters chimed to the effect that "Portions in the US are huge and 'crude'; portions in Canada are the 'normal' size and therefore don't result in leftovers."

Since one implication made was that Americans are so much fatter than Canadians because of their huge portions, I'll mention that the difference in obesity rates between the US (33%) and Canada (28%) is significant, but not exactly stunning.

I still think it's curious that when the cost of restaurant meals was brought up, the immediate Canadian reaction was "Well, who needs more food anyway?" and "Food quality in Canada is much better than in the US."

I think if someone said "Gas is cheaper in the US than Canada," some Canadians would reply, "Our gas is higher quality" and "Who needs to drive so much anyway."
Nonsense! You're reaching now.

And I happen to agree with the premise being kept to the basic of the topic header precluding discussions meandering off into areas other than pure dollar for dollar comparisons.

American obesity has nothing whatsoever (nor should it) to do with this discussion in the context of what you get for your dollar by way of restaurant food.

Short cutting this discussion by simply using some authoritative COL indicators should suffice to answer the question adequately enough for anyone other than those concerned with breast beating.

One interactive link:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Nonsense! You're reaching now.
Joking, actually, but I wouldn't be absolutely astounded by such responses.

Thanks for providing the link. It goes to show how difficult it is to make a blanket statement about COL in the US vs. Canada.

The most expensive city in Canada, Vancouver, is ranked 17th. There are 15 cities in the US rated as more expensive than that (#1 is in Bermuda).

However, there are only 12 Canadian cities in the entire list, while there are 87 US cities. Life in the "average" US city may or may not be less expensive than in the "average" Canadian city, as it is clearly dependent on the specific location and not whether one lives in the US or Canada.

The one thing that seems to be safe to say is that there are about 15 cities in the US which have a higher COL than anything in Canada.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Joking, actually, but I wouldn't be absolutely astounded by such responses.

Thanks for providing the link. It goes to show how difficult it is to make a blanket statement about COL in the US vs. Canada.

The most expensive city in Canada, Vancouver, is ranked 17th. There are 15 cities in the US rated as more expensive than that (#1 is in Bermuda).

However, there are only 12 Canadian cities in the entire list, while there are 87 US cities. Life in the "average" US city may or may not be less expensive than in the "average" Canadian city, as it is clearly dependent on the specific location and not whether one lives in the US or Canada.

The one thing that seems to be safe to say is that there are about 15 cities in the US which have a higher COL than anything in Canada.
Well yeah, BUT, if throwing it open to simply comparing COL's of random areas, you'd be hard pressed to find any part of the U.S. that would equate to some of Canada's northern communities that have no transport method other than across the iced-over lakes in the winter.

Check this out: Food prices in Arctic areas of northern Canada are insanely high - Business Insider

a footer explains the prices have been approximated in USD.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Well yeah, BUT, if throwing it open to simply comparing COL's of random areas, you'd be hard pressed to find any part of the U.S. that would equate to some of Canada's northern communities that have no transport method other than across the iced-over lakes in the winter.

Check this out: Food prices in Arctic areas of northern Canada are insanely high - Business Insider

a footer explains the prices have been approximated in USD.
I think nutrition north or a similar program should enter in a contract with Amazon and other similar businesses that ship food to cover all the costs of delivery to any community north of 60 IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada