Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:25 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

...... When we do go out to dinner, I want to enjoy myself, the food and the company. I have never even thought about taking home leftovers. I would guess that it's very uncommon in Canada. Which is not to say that some people don't do that. And I'm not saying they should or they shouldn't.

Maybe because you don't have a household full of children?

It's really not uncommon with families who have a whole passel of kids. I often see families taking home all the leftovers that the parents and kids didn't finish in a restaurant, especially if it's any kind of Asian restaurant (which we have so many of here). It's a treat for the kiddies too, they look forward to it for a snack later. I don't have kids at home anymore but I still usually have to take extras home for myself because most Asian restaurants here serve large amounts of everything, there's no way I can finish everything at one sitting. (A single small size serving of war wonton soup alone could easily serve as a full meal for 3 of me.) And Asian foods are always still tasty and easy to reheat for a snack or a meal the next day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not overly for a city.

Are these considered high for the US? This is a place in Boston that offers similar fare.

Menus
I don’t personally find either of them overly expensive, but Beauty’s is an old school neighbourhood luncheonette, Joe’s is a tourist trap on one of the most expensive streets in Boston. Two completely different places.

Comparable would be a place like Gallery Diner in South Boston. Ironically enough Anthony Bourdain visited both Gallery and Beauty’s and loved them both.

Homemade Breakfast, Lunch in Southie | Galley Diner

Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times
Overall, life in the US is less expensive than Canada.....by the way, utility rates, property taxes vary a lot depending on where you live.
Groceries are cheaper (the more you move from basic stuff and the more they are), consumer products are cheaper, automotive fuel is cheaper, housing in general is cheaper.
Finally, the mortgage deduction is a huge ticket .

Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,266,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Besides health care and prescription drugs, what else is cheaper in Canada than the US?
Education, especially tertiary (university).

Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the prices on this menu of a Montreal restaurant are on the high side. I was wondering if these prices are considered high in Canada.
BEAUTYS LUNCHEONETTE MONTREAL 1942

I think they are on the high side too, but those are big city prices for city "slickers". If a restaurant in a smaller town or roadside truck stop restaurant or whatever tried to charge those kinds of prices for luncheon items and coffees and hot chocolate they would soon get scorned out of business.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I don’t personally find either of them overly expensive, but Beauty’s is an old school neighbourhood luncheonette, Joe’s is a tourist trap on one of the most expensive streets in Boston. Two completely different places.

Comparable would be a place like Gallery Diner in South Boston. Ironically enough Anthony Bourdain visited both Gallery and Beauty’s and loved them both.

Homemade Breakfast, Lunch in Southie | Galley Diner

Those Galley Diner prices are reasonable and they're more like the prices I find in diners in smaller Canadian towns.

The prices shown for that Joe's restaurant are ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,147,930 times
In my part of Ontario, fresh fruit and vegetables are way cheaper than they are in Buffalo, NY. I have also noticed that laundry soap and toothpaste are cheaper here as well.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Americans with private insurance probably generally pay less in healthcare and prescription costs. So I'm not sure the premise is correct.

Most of my adult life, I've had company healthcare that cost me 0, for basically everything. Now I pay like $100 a month out of my paycheck, co-pays are $10 and prescrptions vary from free to $20 or so. I doubt I would save money by moving to Canada and paying for healthcare out of my taxes.
So with some employers you have paid nothing and now you pay 100 dollars per month? It seems like HC costs for an employee in the U.S is highly variable - some get off lucky others don't. It also is highly dependant on an employer footing the bill. If you lost your job tomorrow and had no private insurance what would happen with your healthcare needs?

Last edited by fusion2; 01-26-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 09:23 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
In my part of Ontario, fresh fruit and vegetables are way cheaper than they are in Buffalo, NY. I have also noticed that laundry soap and toothpaste are cheaper here as well.
I find things of lower quality cheaper in the U.S. For example, you can definitely get certain no name brand stuff at Dollar Tree or Aldi generally cheaper than no name stuff here in Canada. We don't have Aldi - yet. Brand name items of a quality you'd want I don't really find it cheaper. A bag of Cheetos is about the same here as there. A bottle of Tylenol same thing, but you can get a bottle of Dollar tree no name acetaminophen cheaper than Dollorama no name stuff. I'm not surprised about your observations about fruit/produce and other items - I find Americans tend to overplay how much cheaper items are down there. You'd see hell freeze over before you'd here Saturno for example have to admit that some items up here may actually be cheaper but alas, if you do an item buy item comparison of what things cost in a large Canadian city to a large American one, i'm not sure there is nearly as much of a price advantage there.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Education, especially tertiary (university).
No longer the case, nowadays you can get very good education online at low prices in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada