Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite Canuck food and drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Montreal Smoked meat

Indian Candy, which is chunks of smoked wild salmon cured with maple syrup, popular in British Columbia, they sell it at most of the local grocery stores in vancouver. It's really
good.

Of course, the famous poutine.

Bannock, a fried bread with berries in it that the First Nations people like to eat, I had some on a reserve once and it was wonderful. I think it originally came from a scottish recipe, but the First Nations have really made it their own.

Cendrillon, one of my favourite cheeses from Quebec. It's a sort of a hard goat cheese covered in a layer of ash. It's really good.

Beaver tails. They're like a kind of a fried pastry covered in cinnamon and sugar that you can put various sweet toppings on. They're not really a traditional recipe, they're sold by a franchises called "Beaver Tail", but they're really good an unique to the country.

Japadogs, a kind of hotdog unique to the city of Vancouver that is a perfect expression of the 'East Asia meets North America' nature of that city. They're hotdogs with a Japanese spin, so in the picture below you've got a hotdog made with pork from a kind of Japanese black pig, topped with Japanese mayo and sea weed. The invention of new Canadian foods marches on!

Tourtiere, a kind of a meat pie traditionally enjoyed by French Canadian communities across the country on Christmas (but also tasty other time of the year as well)

Creme a la sucre, a kind of creamy maple fudge

Fiddlehead Greens (but since they have to be eaten fresh and only grow in very specific circumstance, they're only available in the east of the country, and even then only when in season)

Newfoundland Screech

Canadian Ice Wine, the stuff from Niagara is the best in the world. We invented this wine about thirty years ago by accident, by letting grapes that froze on the vines ferment to make an amazing desert wine, and since have perfected the production of this delicious beverage, and have even branched into making other desert drinks like Ice Cider.

Pea Soup

Sugar Pie (like Pecan Pie, without the Pecans)

Last edited by BIMBAM; 07-24-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Well, no, we didn't invent ice wine/Eiswein - post Roman times, eiswein was produced first in Germany but the frosts were unreliable and it was rare to harvest frozen grapes. Sparkling ice wine was invented by a Canadian though.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What's your favorite Canuck food and drink?
My personal vote goes to pickerel, perogies and venison (not all in the same meal), but none of those are particularly Canadian.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,497 times

Nanaimo bar

Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 PM

How could I forget the Nanaimo bar!!!!!

They are straight up delicious.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:58 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,049 times
Would those Jamaican patties at 711 count as Canadian food? You can't get them in America!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Is poutine considered Canada's national dish?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM

328 posts, read 997,660 times
The Caesar is my favorite Canadian beverage. Basically like a bloody Mary only with the addition of Clamato Juice. It is good when it is very spicy and is served with a long string bean.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is poutine considered Canada's national dish?
Unofficially, I'm gonna go with yeah.

I also didn't realize this pastry was Canadian, but apparently it is.

The butter tart:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada