Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think I was misunderstood when I said it isn't Canadian food. It really isn't Canadian food. It could more appropriately be called North American I guess but I think the owner of the restaurant is taking liberties with southerners ignorance about Canada and Canadian food and Canadian tastes and eating habits.

Except for perhaps the poutine and the tortiere, all of the food on their menu is more southern based stuff that would more commonly be found in AMERICAN restaurants. I've eaten in Midwest and southern restaurants and homes, I know what people eat down there. Yes, that restaurant's food is familiar to Canadians but there really isn't anything especially Canadian about it. And some of it is stuff that would not be served in Canadian restaurants because customers would turn up their noses at it. Maybe it's customary to marinate a sirloin steak in maple syrup in the south before grilling it but I've never heard of that being done in Canada, definitely not in western Canada. It would be sacrilege to the beef and a waste of maple syrup. Bacon, yes, but beef steak no. Maybe in Quebec they soak beef steaks in maple syrup, but I wouldn't know? Maple syrup is a nice luxury food to indulge in from time to time but it's not that big of a deal and it certainly doesn't get put on everything.

See that whole thing with huge servings is another thing that makes it all so much more American themed than Canadian. The thought of trying to tackle something that gross is rather nauseating to Canadians. Yes, southerners absolutely would try it. They might even try the 25 pound one that is called the Humonga Kookamonga for 4 people, with 12 pounds of meat and 13 pounds of fixings for $99.99. Even though money-wise it is the least expensive and better deal of all three of the Kookamongas on offer, it's still far too expensive at $25 per person (if divided between 4 people) and the idea of it is so gross that most Canadians wouldn't even consider it, nor want to look at it let alone try to eat it.

I wouldn't put something like that past Canadians, though.

This is a Toronto restaurant. Actually it's an Ottawa-based chain. I am pretty sure they offer the same deal in Ottawa too - but the Toronto one popped up first. This is a great restaurant BTW - founded by former Ottawa Rough Riders football players originally from (I'm almost positive)... Texas.

The Lone Star 72 Oz. Steak Challenge. - Good Food Toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't put something like that past Canadians, though.

This is a Toronto restaurant. Actually it's an Ottawa-based chain. I am pretty sure they offer the same deal in Ottawa too - but the Toronto one popped up first. This is a great restaurant BTW - founded by former Ottawa Rough Riders football players originally from (I'm almost positive)... Texas.

The Lone Star 72 Oz. Steak Challenge. - Good Food Toronto
Food challenges are stupid IMO. It's just a way for the restaurant to get free press. It certainly isn't looked on as something normal.

I've never been to a place that had any, but looked up some here in Vancouver and they do exist..some have to do with time not amount of food, but still sends an unhealthy signal to people about food and respect for ones food. At least one place got it right. They called their burger a Flatline Burger.

Ya, I'm getting old LOL

Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Show me a menu of a restaurant Canadian enough to make the late Stompin’ Tom Connors proud (Canadian beef, Canadian wine, Canadian oranges, etc.).

Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Hey Acajack, what do you think of this menu? Its a place that opened up down the road from where we used to live. Never tried it regrettably.

Cafe du Pays

The press on the place seems positive, but not sure how authentic the menu is.

As a side note regarding Tourtière, what a great dish that is. It was actually relatively easy to find it in New England. Not at every store or anything, but a relatively quick drive away. Cotes Market in Lowell, MA is one that is famous for it.

Alot of the traditional French Canadian enclaves throughout New England are starting to die out, like Lowell which now hosts the 2nd largest Cambodian population in the US or Lewiston which has a huge Somali population. So it is good to see that while the traditional "Little Canada's" have evolved, you can still find certain dishes that undoubtedly used to be common place in those cities.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
...other than Poutine, what are the Canadian food on that menu?? It seems like the typical American bar food menu....

Old 02-07-2018, 01:41 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The bun and toppings would go soggy.
Perhaps but as long as it was edible and not rotting, I would eat it. I have a thing about not throwing out food and will only do so if it is clearly rotten.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Show me a menu of a restaurant Canadian enough to make the late Stompin’ Tom Connors proud (Canadian beef, Canadian wine, Canadian oranges, etc.).
Canadian oranges do exist. Not in any great quantity and only grown in greenhouses. However friends here in Vancouver have a banana tree and it bore fruit last year, and it's kept outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEx6I4c7ys0

Most Canadian restaurants use Canadian beef, Canadian chicken, pork, and seafood, but just because the products are Canadian doesn't mean that using chicken in a butter chicken dish makes the dish Canadian.

Places like this, use locally sourced ingredients. Their drinks menu as far as I can tell, is 100 percent Canadian.

http://www.foragevancouver.com/asset...inner-menu.pdf

Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Hey Acajack, what do you think of this menu? Its a place that opened up down the road from where we used to live. Never tried it regrettably.

Cafe du Pays

The press on the place seems positive, but not sure how authentic the menu is.

As a side note regarding Tourtière, what a great dish that is. It was actually relatively easy to find it in New England. Not at every store or anything, but a relatively quick drive away. Cotes Market in Lowell, MA is one that is famous for it.

Alot of the traditional French Canadian enclaves throughout New England are starting to die out, like Lowell which now hosts the 2nd largest Cambodian population in the US or Lewiston which has a huge Somali population. So it is good to see that while the traditional "Little Canada's" have evolved, you can still find certain dishes that undoubtedly used to be common place in those cities.
The menu is quite typical of the Québécois/French etc. fusion that a lot of semi-nicer to nicer restaurants are doing here right now.

I am not an extreme purist when it comes to Cuisine X or Cuisine Y, so I'd say these people are probably on the right track.

Plus I googled them and I found this article, where one of the owners references the guru of deluxe cabane à sucre cuisine in Quebec, Martin Picard. So they know their stuff!

https://boston.eater.com/2017/5/19/1...-hungry-mother

Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Places like this, use locally sourced ingredients. Their drinks menu as far as I can tell, is 100 percent Canadian.

http://www.foragevancouver.com/asset...inner-menu.pdf
That restaurant would empty my wallet instead of filing my belly.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
That restaurant would empty my wallet instead of filing my belly.
Well, it is a nice place. I've only been for brunch.

Lots of other choices here in Vancouver....thousands of restaurants to fit all tastes and budgets.

Asian food can be very affordable...and OMG so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada