Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:53 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,722,181 times

Advertisements

Is the Miss Canada beauty pageant entirely in English or bilingual? Do the contestants have to be bilingual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM

26,768 posts, read 37,699,869 times
Do we still have one?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 PM

14,660 posts, read 14,763,640 times
AJ - There's a whole schwack of Miss 'something or other' Canada Pageants. The Miss Canada pageant is a scholarship competition. There's also Mrs. Canada, and Mr. World Canada, Miss Universe Canada, Miss World Canada, Miss Earth Canada, and Miss Teen Canada. And then there's a bunch of pageants for various cultures, like Miss Chinese Canada, and Miss Indo Canada, Miss First Nations Canada, etc., etc. and now there are Canada pageants for children, and gays, and trans, etc. etc.

I don't know if they're all supposed to be bilingual or multilingual but I'm guessing at least some of them are.

Pretty much every country in the world has their Miss 'whatever' pageants. USA has more national pageants for more categories than anyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beauty_pageants

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-08-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,731,813 times
Why can't we have so many Mister Canada pageants... Sexism I tell ya!!

I do know a girl who was in the Miss Canada Universe Pageant and she only spoke English.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 AM

3,600 posts, read 3,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is the Miss Canada beauty pageant entirely in English or bilingual? Do the contestants have to be bilingual?
As Acajack alluded to, the pageant hasn't been held for years. Probably not since the early 90s. It was presented on CTV annually.

As I recall it (my sister insisted we watch it yearly, and we only had one TV in those days), it was only in English. The contestants--even Miss Quebec--spoke English with the host (I seem to recall the host was Jim Perry, who also hosted the game show, "Definition," also on CTV). There seemed to be no bilingual requirement; everything was in English.

There are still beauty pageants in Canada, and a young Canadian lady competes in Miss Universe every year. But it seems to me that as an event of national importance, the Miss Canada pageant has mostly gone by the boards.

Aside: For an interesting look at the world of beauty pageants, I'd suggest the film Whip It, produced by Drew Barrymore, and starring Ellen Page. It indicates that contestants--and their mothers--are a little warped. It also includes plenty of roller-derby action. You have to see it to believe it.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,879,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do we still have one?
I didn't think so either, so I had to look it up. Go know... It's still going on! Miss Canada РConcours de Personnalit̩

Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 AM

26,768 posts, read 37,699,869 times
If it still does exist (which it appears it does), I doubt there is any linguistic requirement either way.

In that anglophones aren't required to speak French, and people who speak only French aren't prevented from taking part. In the latter case, I would suppose that even though the event is primarily in English, that a unilingual French speaking girl would be reasonably well accommodated.

Kind of like when Quebec's Audrey de Montigny was a finalist on CTV's Canadian Idol (which only lasted a few seasons) and could only speak French, the bilingual host Ben Mulroney (son of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney) would translate judges' comments and stuff for her. Although it could be that some of the judges also could speak a bit of French. I can't remember for sure though.

Or how Anglo-Canadian contestants sometimes appear on Quebec TV networks' talent shows. (Quebec has WAY more of them than Anglo-Canada, which has comparatively very few. So it's often people from the rest of Canada's only chance to take part in something like that, as they're not eligible for the U.S. shows.)

In most cases though the anglos who end up there do speak at least a bit of French. I suspect those who don't know any French at all are intimidated and don't generally audition for them. Though a year or so ago a kid of about 12 from Ottawa of all places ended up going pretty far on La Voix Junior (The Voice) on TVA, and he spoke almost no French. Though he did end up learning a bit while he was on the show, and he certainly wasn't exempted from singing songs in French with the other contestants.

Last edited by Acajack; 02-09-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM

14,660 posts, read 14,763,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I didn't think so either, so I had to look it up. Go know... It's still going on! Miss Canada РConcours de Personnalit̩

That Miss Canada 2017 sure has an impressive looking set of chompers in her mouth - looks like she could chew down trees with those teeth. I wouldn't mind having teeth like hers.

Very pretty girls, both her and Miss Teen 2017.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,879,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

That Miss Canada 2017 sure has an impressive looking set of chompers in her mouth - looks like she could chew down trees with those teeth.

Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a happy weekend.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,722,181 times
Here is Miss World’s Canadian contestant from 2017. She said French is her first language, but she doesn’t sound like from she’s from Quebec.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4CpGZOZ0QE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada