Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's all here for anyone to read. You play with words, and try to insinuate with statements like above. For instance.

" It is false, you can own a handgun in Canada ".

NO ONE HERE SAID YOU COULDN'T. Nice try though. What has been said over and over to you is that owning a handgun in Canada comes with MUCH stricter regulation than in the US.

AS for being schooled. Here a quote from a post you made back in June 2016.

".by the way I did talk in person to a couple of Canadian gun collectors after our exchange and they were laughing hard at your suggestion that Canadian laws would magically prevent a crime....they said, verbatim, "sure we went through the bureaucratic hoops of getting our permits, as a matter of fact, right in this moment nobody is going to stop me from walking out, getting one of my pistols and kill someone...hey but they are Canadian gun owners, what do they know right?? "

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...oughts-35.html

Again, no one said that laws stop all crime. What has been said is the stricter gun laws prevent more guns from circulating and being used in crime.

Also if that story is true, they were either lying to you, or breaking the law. Even cops can't take their guns home in Canada.

Owning a pistol ( Handgun ) has restrictions which we have gone over and over again. Do you still believe LAW abiding Canadians can just go buy a pistol and keep at home with ammo to pick up and go shoot somebody?

If you do, then perhaps you haven't been schooled because you lack the ability to, or the ability to admit when you are wrong.

That is hilarious!! I play with words?? Ahahahah.....I simply stated that you can legally own a handgun in Canada...period....so the idiot troll was wrong and you rushed in his defense....next time pick your fights more wisely...

Talking about schooling yourself...

Here you go, a video about steps necessary to own a handgun in Canada from a fellow Canadian handgun owner (which he shows some pieces as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP2CMrF9zsg

Another video about gun laws in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jytj1W3kvM

Gun culture in Canada...Canada has a fairly high gun ownership rate, as a matter of fact in the top 10 in the world....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48BrHFaJS_c

A Canadian handgun owner making fun of the belief that some have that "handguns are illegal in Canada"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ7saCVQRvI

"Applications to carry handguns skyrocket in B.C., Alberta"

https://globalnews.ca/news/1411270/a...n-b-c-alberta/

"The booming business in magazines that legally triple rifle capacity"

https://globalnews.ca/news/772067/th...ifle-capacity/

You know Nat...Canada is a bit big bigger and diverse than Robson street, Georgia street and the seawall in downtown Vancouver....

I personally was on the verge of applying for a firearm permit in Canada before moving to the US.

I still hear crickets about what laws prevent a legal gun owner in Canada to go on a rampage if he loses few screws......which has always been the point that I try to make and that you conveniently ignore because you do not have an answer...

You should focus on the real issue here....why the US has probably more nutcase per capita than Canada (I did not check statistics but is very possible)...what is behind it and what should be done......rampage shooting is increasing but violent crime (including gun crime) is at historical low and the downtrend has resumed in 2017 after a slight uptick in 2016...that is the important question....

Finally, if you think that not being able to access a gun magically will stop a person that lost it and willing to commit senseless acts of violence I have a bridge in North Vancouver to sell you...sure, you may say a gun makes it easier and often that is correct (not always) but, again, the point is why such senseless acts committed with a gun or otherwise are on the increase in America.....that is the real problem, not legal ownership of guns and people having a CCW (and as you know, I'm for common sense gun regulations somehow stricter than they currently are)

In case your forgot...a recent 2016 study....CCW holders are, on average, more law abiding than Police officers...oops!!!

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=2814691

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-17-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:27 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
I think the divide in opinion can best be explained by the following mindsets:

-Those against guns, point to the nature of the weapon and it's capability to cause mass damage over a short period of time.

-Those in favour of guns, point out the fact that guns act as a deterrent to crime.

That's why it's very hard to reconcile the two mindsets as they look at things very differently.

It's the Jesse Ventura vs Piers Morgan debacle.

I do wonder though, why in a country where firearms are widespread, why very few shoot back at the perpetrator.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:25 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I do wonder though, why in a country where firearms are widespread, why very few shoot back at the perpetrator.
Because these shootings occur in gun free zones (schools, night clubs, churches). Law abiding citizens are without any weapon there, while a perpetrator can come armed to teeth.

I believe the idea of gun free zones without enforcement (having metal detectors and security guards) have the opposite effect - the perpetrators know exactly that nobody shoot at them back.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As an Australian what do you think of your governments ban of all guns? Good idea?

Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Because these shootings occur in gun free zones (schools, night clubs, churches). Law abiding citizens are without any weapon there, while a perpetrator can come armed to teeth.

I believe the idea of gun free zones without enforcement (having metal detectors and security guards) have the opposite effect - the perpetrators know exactly that nobody shoot at them back.
Perhaps the bulk of them performed by younger peer members do but in the Gabby Giffords shooting and at least two of the theater shootings other attendees were armed and proved no useful deterrent whatsoever. In fact, during the Giffords shooting, after the one 'admitted to being armed' citizen took cover and got himself together, he drew down on and very nearly shot the unarmed individual who was busy tackling the perp as he was busily re-loading.

Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings took place despite presence of armed police.

There is great agenda driven influence being brought to bear to foster the belief more guns make you safer; however: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

"Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not."

Finally from above link:
"The research on guns is not uniform, and we could certainly use more of it. But when all but a few studies point in the same direction, we can feel confident that the arrow is aiming at the truth—which is, in this case, that guns do not inhibit crime and violence but instead make it worse."

Last edited by BruSan; 02-18-2018 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 07:24 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Perhaps the bulk of them performed by younger peer members do but in the Gabby Giffords shooting and at least two of the theater shootings other attendees were armed and proved no useful deterrent whatsoever. In fact, during the Giffords shooting, after the one 'admitted to being armed' citizen took cover and got himself together, he drew down on and very nearly shot the unarmed individual who was busy tackling the perp as he was busily re-loading.

Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings took place despite presence of armed police.

There is great agenda driven influence being brought to bear to foster the belief more guns make you safer; however: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

"Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not."

Finally from above link:
"The research on guns is not uniform, and we could certainly use more of it. But when all but a few studies point in the same direction, we can feel confident that the arrow is aiming at the truth—which is, in this case, that guns do not inhibit crime and violence but instead make it worse."
The question I answered was not about more guns vs less guns, but about why nobody shoots back. And the answer is - because of the "gun free zones". Gun free zones make schools a perfect shooting range with nobody able to respond quickly (otherwise at least principal or some teachers could carry weapons and respond). Gun free zones should be enforced. That what we do in Israel - for different reasons, of course. Every school, university, shopping malls, even kindergardens have armed guards and metal detectors. In case of attack the responce comes very swiftly.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
The question I answered was not about more guns vs less guns, but about why nobody shoots back. And the answer is - because of the "gun free zones". Gun free zones make schools a perfect shooting range with nobody able to respond quickly (otherwise at least principal or some teachers could carry weapons and respond). Gun free zones should be enforced. That what we do in Israel - for different reasons, of course. Every school, university, shopping malls, even kindergardens have armed guards and metal detectors. In case of attack the responce comes very swiftly.
Contained within my answer to you was the fact that two of the schools had assigned armed police officers on site.

Israels situation being what it is results in a multitude of citizens having received military training and being current members of their military. It is those individuals who will respond whenever an attempt is made ; NOT Joe Q citizen with a carry permit with a pistol in his pants.

In view of the current situation in the U.S. being one of rigid stupidity versus one of strident invective. The ONLY available short term solution to students being killed is, I'm afraid, what you suggest; hardening of schools so they resemble Kingston Penitentiary. Just the kind of environment our veterans had in mind while fighting WWI and II to protect our way of life and encourage young minds to thirst for knowledge, eh?

Would that be your choice of country to move to with your young family if seeking opportunity and coming from anywhere but some chit-hole war zone?

They seriously need to consider what this is going to ultimately end up costing them by way of freedom to live their lives without fear and paranoia.

At some point in future stats will come an assessment of individual rights and freedoms as compared to other first world civilized countries, surely they must realize viewing the U.S. through the lens of students having to attend hardened schools lest they be victims of some nut, being reflected in that assessment.

I fear the influence Canada is subject to due to proximity having the effects it does, will inevitably lead us into this conundrum and our nation slowly emulating the insanity beneath us.

Regressing to the 1800's period when respect and responsibility were found only at the end of a gun barrel would not seem to be anything intelligent people should ascribe to.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-18-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
There is no debate that the U.S has more of a gun problem than any other developed country and more firearm homicides than any other developed nation by a LARGE margin. If the U.S were taken out of the equation, Canada would not be in a good position to snicker, but we are much closer to other developed nations in firearm homicide rates than the U.S. Anyone who thinks in ANY country that guns aren't part of the problem should look at this article. Of course Mental Health shouldn't be dismissed but the below is a pretty sobering reminder that eliminating guns from the equation is foolhardy.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

Quote:
America has 4.4 percent of the world’s population, but almost half of the civilian-owned guns around the world
Quote:
There have been more than 1,500 mass shootings since Sandy Hook
Quote:
On average, there is more than one mass shooting for each day in America
Quote:
States with more guns have more gun deaths
Quote:
It’s not just the US: Developed countries with more guns also have more gun deaths
Quote:
America is an outlier when it comes to gun deaths, but not overall crime
Quote:
States with tighter gun control laws have fewer gun-related deaths
Quote:
Still, gun homicides (like all homicides) have declined over the past couple decades
Quote:
Most gun deaths sucides firearm suicides versus homicides
Quote:
The States with the most guns report the most suicides, more guns more suicides
Quote:
Guns allow people to kill themselves much more easily
Quote:
Programs that limit access to guns have decreased suicides
Quote:
In States with more guns, More Police Officers are killed on duty
Quote:
Support for gun ownership has sharply increased since the early 90's
Quote:
High profile killings don't appear to lead to more support for gun control
Quote:
But specific gun control policies are fairly popular

Old 02-18-2018, 01:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Exactly this.

By the way, there were stories of people shooting back and stopping the shooter (in shopping malls and other place or in the open) but these "good shooter stories" usually do not make the national media and you have to find them in local media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As an Australian what do you think of your governments ban of all guns? Good idea?

Australia did not ban all guns...at all. It did ban semi-automatic rifles.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-18-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say we have our fair share compared to most western countries - which is still too many. A better question is why the U.S. has so many.

Strangely enough, a disproportionate amount of Canada's mass shootings have occured in Quebec. (Which otherwise has a fairly low violent crime rate.)

I have no idea why that is. OTOH for some reason the whole "serial killer" phenomenon is virtually absent in Quebec.
That is interesting. With Canada having so much space in proportion to the population, I'd think it would be easy to hide bodies so that they'd never be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada