Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 03:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
another post reflecting the canada’s obsession with the US. Always Us Us Us...
Would you be happier if we never talked about our colossal neighbor to the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 11:10 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
I had no idea my original question would receive so many replies. I haven’t followed this thread in a while because it soon became clear to me that the debate would become intemperate and go off the rails.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
^^Any thread involving firearms or health care is going to get a lot of replies and go off the rails.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
another post reflecting the canada’s obsession with the US. Always Us Us Us...
Would you be happier if we talked about how great China is?

Old 03-04-2018, 01:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Would you be happier if we talked about how great China is?
Well.. They did build the GREAT wall of China

Seriously though, I don't think we can compare mass shootings with a country where personal freedoms are so restricted.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^Any thread involving firearms or health care is going to get a lot of replies and go off the rails.
Also don't forget any thread saying positive things about Vancouver, Toronto or Canada for that matter.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I had no idea my original question would receive so many replies. I haven’t followed this thread in a while because it soon became clear to me that the debate would become intemperate and go off the rails.
Now that you've read all the threads do you have any opinion as to why there are so few mass shootings in Canada?

Old 03-04-2018, 06:10 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,874,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Just for the record, on the few pages of this thread that I read not a single reference to home defense. Some disparaging remarks about "rednecks in PU trucks" and "Bubba" which fall short of US gun owner attitudes. Also most NRA attitudes are about personal defense with firearms being the equalizer. To the poster above as far as an armed populace goes please explain the Afghani tribal success with small arms (albeit with CIA assist with ground to air shoulder fired missiles) against the USSR in the 1980's. Agreed organized military tactics generally are the most effective but many US firearm owners are not a roll over on our backs and pee on our belly types. I like Benjamin Franklin's statement that "those who would give up their freedoms for security deserve neither freedom nor security".

The US has and always has had a "stronger" personality than Canada, our polite neighbor to the north. The US started with a rebellious effort to get out from under a tyrannical government (miraculously successful) which the Canadian /English to the north rejected. At least Canada slowly got self determination becoming totally independent of England after WWII with the breakup of the British Empire . This character difference has served the US and the world well especially considering the US effort in being the main cog winning WWII .

Canadians postulating about US gun owner attitudes is a laughing matter. Canadians are simply not equipped mentally to understand US attitudes much less those of US gun owners.

The best reflection on the 2 countries is who they choose to lead them. Justin Trudeau ... oozing estrogen, demure attitude, apologetic political correctness ... a puss if there was ever one.

Then Trump ... no BS, no quarter even from the Leftist (like Canada's) press. Building the US back up (post puss Obama) gutting government regulation which chokes the economy (thus the standard of living). US independant attitudes are flourishing and "making America great again. Don't worry Canada ... you'll continue to ride the US shirttail and will gain (once again) from US strength and prosperity.

The main failures in the Fla shooting stems from law enforcement dropping the ball dozens of times. I have to admit the Canadian national police would have done a much better job and IMO would have prevented this tragedy. Some Canadian things are superior than the US and the RMCP is superior on a law enforcement scale to anything in the US.

I want to point out too that EVERY one of these mass murderers in the US, except the Islamic extremists, have been on psychotropic drugs and went off their dosing. There is a correlation here IMO. Nidal Malik Hasan, US Army vet was subject to both forces though .... psychotropic drugs and an Islamic extremist.

I also want to point out also that the US Supreme Court has upheld on at least 3 cases that law enforcement has no legal obligation to ensure an individual's personal safety. So that is a personal matter in the US. Good tools are a must!

So it basically boils down to attitude. Huge difference between the 2 countries.

This is just one redneck's thoughts. (I own 2 PU trucks) FTR, I know some western Canadians with fierce independent attitudes.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:29 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Now that you've read all the threads do you have any opinion as to why there are so few mass shootings in Canada?
It's the common denominator ... ACCESS to firearms.. AT this point is well beyond Legal or Illegal access... But when "Gun Lobby restricts ability to do proper background checks.. NRA lobbying to maintain ALL Loopholes to enable selling of firearms. ALL responsible gun owners are unfortunately painted by the BRUSH Gun Manufacturer funded NRA with the sagebrush!!

The sooner the better, NRA gets sidelined and their lobbyists the better IMO! No ones immune to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.. BUT NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE FEARFUL that some Suicidal gunner could pop out to massacre innocents.. Schools/Church/Concerts etc etc!!

Point is.. lobbying continuations of LOOPHOLE ( including cross border trade/3 day waiting period if NOT cleared Automatically get cleared/ Straw-man purchases @ gun shows enabled sell out of their trunks/ Nofly lists listed enabled to be cleared yet can't board an aircraft???? Far too many loopholes that GOP refuses to consider.. Infringements?? GMAFB

Canada.. is far different and any American soon learns all about it IF THEY try to carry across OUR Boarder!!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Because Canadians are smart enough not to have gun fetishes and dreams of being like Rambo is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada