Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I can understand shows set in a Northern US town or city being filmed in BC, but Atlanta? C’mon!
These guys are pretty good at making one place look like another. Much of the Vancouver area is forested with tall trees like the Atlanta area is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:48 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These guys are pretty good at making one place look like another. Much of the Vancouver area is forested with tall trees like the Atlanta area is.
But how many of the local actors can do a credible Southern accent?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The actors don't necessarily have to be locally sourced.

Though I am pretty sure a Southern US accent is part of the accent menu that anglophone Canadian students learn in acting school. Obviously some end up mastering it better than others.

If you've seen The Notebook, which is set in South Carolina I believe, are the two lead actors' accents credible? They are both from London, Ontario.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:12 PM

143 posts, read 133,169 times
I have a very important question for this community... How come the most active member of the Canada subforum is a guy from MS which is not even anywhere near the border nor culturally close...?

(This thread seemed an okay place to ask)

Old 08-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I have a very important question for this community... How come the most active member of the Canada subforum is a guy from MS which is not even anywhere near the border nor culturally close...?

It's a perfectly OK place to ask, but not sure we have the answer!

Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM

143 posts, read 133,169 times
Mouldy Old Schmo has it, of that I'm sure

Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Mouldy Old Schmo has it, of that I'm sure
My guess is that Mouldy, like most Americans, never really thought about Canada during most of his life. Then about 5-6 years ago, he realized: "holy cow, there's a whole other country up there!"

Then he became fascinated by how it's sorta different, sorta the same. And all that jazz.

He is also very interested in the past, present and future of the Catholic church. As such, Quebec and its (somewhat, by historical standards) fast-tracked de-Catholicization is a source of fascination for him.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

Mouldy, most certified actors are capable of doing a number of accents. When student actors anywhere in North America are getting their formal training they all have to take several kinds of voice training and get graded on it as part of the actor training program so they can be certified. One of the reasons for that is to drop the natural accents they're born with and learn to be able to speak in a neutral western anglo accent so they can be understood properly, and also they need to learn (or try to learn) how to speak in several other common international accents from around the world, as Acajack mentioned.

For example, Mel Gibson from Australia had such a thick Aussie accent when he first started out he could barely be understood by anyone else except other Australians. Before he could get parts in American film industry he had to take voice training to learn how to speak in a neutral anglo accent before American producers would hire him.

An example of an actor who has never had any formal actor training, and no voice training at all, is Lucas Black from Alabama who plays one of the characters (Christopher) in the series NCIS: New Orleans. His strong Alabama 'twang' in his accent is hard for a lot of people to understand and he adamantly refuses to take the voice training to pick up a neutral accent. One of the consequences of that lack of accent training is that Lucas has been limited to the types of characters he can be hired to play and is also limited to the producers who will hire him. He does okay in his career but is bound and determined to not ever lose his Alabama twang for his career. I still have a hard time understanding him sometimes and have been watching his progress as an actor since he was a child. He was almost impossible for me to understand most of what he said when he was a child but he's improved with age.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

My guess is because Canada has become one of Mouldy's hobbies.

And he likes Canadian tractors too.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mouldy, most certified actors are capable of doing a number of accents. When student actors anywhere in North America are getting their formal training they all have to take several kinds of voice training and get graded on it as part of the actor training program so they can be certified. One of the reasons for that is to drop the natural accents they're born with and learn to be able to speak in a neutral western anglo accent so they can be understood properly, and also they need to learn (or try to learn) how to speak in several other common international accents from around the world, as Acajack mentioned.

For example, Mel Gibson from Australia had such a thick Aussie accent when he first started out he could barely be understood by anyone else except other Australians. Before he could get parts in American film industry he had to take voice training to learn how to speak in a neutral anglo accent before American producers would hire him.

An example of an actor who has never had any formal actor training, and no voice training at all, is Lucas Black from Alabama who plays one of the characters (Christopher) in the series NCIS: New Orleans. His strong Alabama 'twang' in his accent is hard for a lot of people to understand and he adamantly refuses to take the voice training to pick up a neutral accent. One of the consequences of that lack of accent training is that Lucas has been limited to the types of characters he can be hired to play and is also limited to the producers who will hire him. He does okay in his career but is bound and determined to not ever lose his Alabama twang for his career. I still have a hard time understanding him sometimes and have been watching his progress as an actor since he was a child. He was almost impossible for me to understand most of what he said when he was a child but he's improved with age.
Ironically, Mel Gibson was born in the United States and didn’t move to Australia until he was 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada