Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times

Advertisements

1. Did Canadians have to endure food and fuel rationing?

2. Why were French Canadians less likely to serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
I can't answer the first question but as to the second, I recently read a book that said the French Canadian politicians of the day were opposed to serving under the Canadian flag during WWII for several reasons:

1) Canadian units at the time were required to speak English and all orders were to be given in English. There was one French Canadian sergeant who chose to address his regiment in French and was promptly rebuked by his superiors and told to switch back to English.

2) French Canadians at the time didn't share the sentiment of freeing Europe from tyranny when they themselves didn't gain the respect and liberties they wanted. This was already the case during WWI.

3) I cannot confirm this but somewhere else I read that some French Canadian politicians of the time secretly supported Vichy France and for this reason did not see the need to free even France from the Nazis.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I can't answer the first question but as to the second, I recently read a book that said the French Canadian politicians of the day were opposed to serving under the Canadian flag during WWII for several reasons:

1) Canadian units at the time were required to speak English and all orders were to be given in English. There was one French Canadian sergeant who chose to address his regiment in French and was promptly rebuked by his superiors and told to switch back to English.

2) French Canadians at the time didn't share the sentiment of freeing Europe from tyranny when they themselves didn't gain the respect and liberties they wanted. This was already the case during WWI.

3) I cannot confirm this but somewhere else I read that some French Canadian politicians of the time secretly supported Vichy France and for this reason did not see the need to free even France from the Nazis.
Where are you getting your information on your point 1?

There is and was the 22 Regiment that is Francophone. It was created during the First World War.

"First World War: the Accomplishments of the First French-Canadian Regiment
When it was raised in October 1914 at the beginning of the First World War, the R22eR was known as the 22nd Battalion (French-Canadian). The unit was created in response to popular demand for a regiment in which French-Canadians could serve in their mother tongue."

The Royal 22e Régiment - The Canadian Encyclopedia

My grandfather served in that regiment, and did not speak English at the time.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
1. Did Canadians have to endure food and fuel rationing?

2. Why were French Canadians less likely to serve?
Yes there was some rationing of sugar, tea, and other items so that Canada could send food to the UK that they were short of and of course ration out fairly for everyone else. It was apparently widely supported as the right thing to do. There was also a price freeze on food. It was also done to feed our troops overseas.

"At the heart of the many of the government’s wartime food policies was the need to feed Canada’s overseas allies and soldiers. As Canadians were regularly reminded by propagandists and advertisers alike, food truly was a “weapon of war.” Particularly after the fall of France in June 1940, Canadian food exports provided an essential lifeline to Britain. By the end of the war, it was estimated that Canadian exports accounted for 57 per cent of British wheat and flour consumption – down from its 1941 peak of 77 per cent – as well as 39 per cent of bacon, 15 per cent of eggs, 24 per cent of cheese, and 11 per cent of evaporated milk consumed in Britain. Much of this was achieved through major state intervention on Canadian farms. Between 1940 and 1943, the wheat acreage in the Prairie provinces was reduced by 42 percent through a combination of subsidies, price guarantees, and other controls. Areas sown for agricultural products needed to meet gaps in Canada’s domestic and export requirements like feed grains, on the other hand, increased by 72 percent, flaxseed by 800 percent, and hog marketings by 250 percent over the prewar period.2"

Food on the Home Front during the Second World War | Wartime Canada

Old 02-18-2018, 12:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

There is and was the 22 Regiment that is Francophone. It was created during the First World War.

"First World War: the Accomplishments of the First French-Canadian Regiment
When it was raised in October 1914 at the beginning of the First World War, the R22eR was known as the 22nd Battalion (French-Canadian). The unit was created in response to popular demand for a regiment in which French-Canadians could serve in their mother tongue."

The Royal 22e Régiment - The Canadian Encyclopedia

My grandfather served in that regiment, and did not speak English at the time.
Yes, they did create the Royal 22e Régiment in order to draw more francophone soldiers but the Canadian armed forces only very, very slowly warmed up to French, and the perception that it's not a super friendly place for francophones persisted well into my lifetime.

In addition to what has already been said about francophones not wanting to go fight "Britain's war", there was also believe it or not not much sympathy for helping out France due to the bitter feeling of abandonment that many francophone Canadians still had over the Conquest in the 1760s. Yeah, I know that was 175 years before, but what can I say - people have long memories.

Again, I should say that the feeling of abandonment by France on the part of Canadian francophones even lingered into my lifetime, though at this point in 2018 it's pretty much faded away completely.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:59 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I believe I read about it in Linguistic Conflict and Language Laws : Understanding the Quebec Question, a 2003 publication by Pierre Larrivée. I read the book two years ago so I don't quite remember if this was the source but it was likely. Like the O.P. I was also interested in the Franco-Anglophone relations of Canada, having just visited Montreal for the third time in 2015.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 AM

28 posts, read 44,518 times
My mother kept a ration book from when she was a kid during WW2. There were limits on butter, sugar, tea and several other things.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, they did create the Royal 22e Régiment in order to draw more francophone soldiers but the Canadian armed forces only very, very slowly warmed up to French, and the perception that it's not a super friendly place for francophones persisted well into my lifetime.

In addition to what has already been said about francophones not wanting to go fight "Britain's war", there was also believe it or not not much sympathy for helping out France due to the bitter feeling of abandonment that many francophone Canadians still had over the Conquest in the 1760s. Yeah, I know that was 175 years before, but what can I say - people have long memories.

Again, I should say that the feeling of abandonment by France on the part of Canadian francophones even lingered into my lifetime, though at this point in 2018 it's pretty much faded away completely.
Yes I know all this, but I'm asking for documentation of his story and they have answered that

Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default We still have ours..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappatistazz View Post
My mother kept a ration book from when she was a kid during WW2. There were limits on butter, sugar, tea and several other things.
fortunately, Canada was still very much a rural agri. based country, so our family had eggs and already grew most of what they needed. You needed sugar, however, for a lot of the farm preserving going on. No freezer in those days. And not much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada