Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 AM

689 posts, read 708,562 times

Advertisements

We are a Minnesota family of four (two adults and two children) thinking of taking a vacation in Canada. We don't have any passports and don't want to get any.

With that in mind, what do we need to do to legally cross the boarder and back in a diesel pickup truck with a police scanner, Ham Radios and off road lights installed in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 AM

61,375 posts, read 86,287,266 times
Explained here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...he.Border.html

Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
We are a Minnesota family of four (two adults and two children) thinking of taking a vacation in Canada. We don't have any passports and don't want to get any.

With that in mind, what do we need to do to legally cross the boarder and back in a diesel pickup truck with a police scanner, Ham Radios and off road lights installed in it?
You don't need that passport to enter Canada but on your return the American border will ask for the passport, failure to provide one could cause delays as you get routed into secondary interrogation where you have to convince the agents you are American. Why not just get a passport?.
And also don't even think of bringing any weapons into Canada.
And be prepared to answer why you need a police scanner.

Last edited by jambo101; 02-16-2018 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 AM

776 posts, read 950,270 times
The 5 US states that physically border Canada, issue an enhanced State Drivers Licence. That requires going through a personal application process, with a face to face interview with a CBP officer and being photographed and fingerprinted. Check with your State Government`s DMV for details about the enhanced DL.

The US Government put the requirement to prove your citizenship upon re-entering the US in place in 2009. Everyone, from any other country MUST also provide proof of their citizenship, if they want to enter the US. Period.

XXXX.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,204,368 times
Why are many Americans so against holding a valid passport? I don’t get it!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM

14,223 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
They are? That's news to me. I'm an American and this post is the first time I've ever heard someone state that they are against having a passport. (People often don't have one because they've never needed it, which is not the same thing).

Maybe they just think the process of getting a passport is too expensive and time-consuming.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,723,821 times
Either apply for an enhanced driver's license for yourself and your spouse and passport cards for your children or simply get passport cards for everyone. If you're wondering what a passport card is, it is a wallet sized card that looks like a driver's license but is State Department issued just like ordinary passports, valid for 10 years, and allows you access by ground or water transportation (not air) in and out of Canada, Mexico and select Caribbean nations. It is also cheaper to order than a passport book.

Types of Documentation – ezbordercrossing

I would refrain from bringing the police scanner if you can as the border authorities will most definitely ask why you have it. Remember, you are taking a trip to another country, not just merely crossing into Wisconsin and so you will have to be prepared to abide by someone else's laws.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,723,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
It's not that Americans are really against owning one, it's just that they don't find any use for one if they never travel out of the country. A lot of Americans can't afford to take vacations and if they do they often travel domestically. I've had schoolmates and co-workers in the past who have never left the country. Still, changes are coming to U.S. travel requirements and by 2020, all Americans will need some form of "Real ID" to travel by air, even domestic air travel. There will likely be an uptick of passport holders then.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,977,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
The 5 US states that physically border Canada, issue an enhanced State Drivers Licence. That requires going through a personal application process, with a face to face interview with a CBP officer and being photographed and fingerprinted. Check with your State Government`s DMV for details about the enhanced DL.

The US Government put the requirement to prove your citizenship upon re-entering the US in place in 2009. Everyone, from any other country MUST also provide proof of their citizenship, if they want to enter the US. Period.

XXXX.
There are eleven states that border Canada. Not sure how many have enhanced driver's licenses. Or is that what you meant? That five of the 11 states that border Canada issue enhanced licenses?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You don't need that passport to enter Canada but on your return the American border will ask for the passport, failure to provide one could cause delays as you get routed into secondary interrogation where you have to convince the agents you are American. Why not just get a passport?.
And also don't even think of bringing any weapons into Canada.
And be prepared to answer why you need a police scanner.
I cross the border about once a month, and that is a question I am always asked. Do I have any weapons, including pepper spray (no, I don't carry weapons, and I'm not an idiot enough to take weapons into Canada if I did.)

Also, when you are leaving, they always ask if you have any fruit. I stepped aside at the Ottawa airport and ate an apple I bought up there rather than toss it in the garbage.

You CAN take butter tarts back with you, though, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada