Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:27 AM

193 posts, read 217,051 times

Advertisements

I was watching the men's hockey games during Pyeongchang Olympics and I noticed the commentator Christ Cuthbert having a rather thick accent. Is that a Canadian accent? I know Canada has many accents but Wikipedia shows that he was born in Brampton. I used to work in a call centre talking to people from all over Canada and people from Atlantic Provinces sometimes do have an Irish/Scottish influenced accent but have not noticed that from people from Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auT1sQgQpN4
video interview of Chris Cuthbert

Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
There is no such thing as a typical Canadian accent. Accents in Canada vary across the country from coast to coast and from region to region and may even vary from one community to the next within a single region.

Chris Cuthbert's accent sounds to me like an Ontario accent but his speech is a bit muffled because he appears to have a slight paralysis on the left side of his face and his upper teeth are rarely exposed when he's talking, as if he may be self-conscious about them. I suspect he has a full upper plate that alters his speech a bit.

BTW - in case you weren't aware, you're treading on thin ice by starting a thread about Canadian accents in the Canada forum. Such topics ALWAYS attract repeat offender newbie trolls (usually with double letters in their user names) and the threads inevitably end up getting deleted altogether or merged into the Canada Accents thread that was started 9 or 10 years ago. --> //www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ech-vowel.html

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-01-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is no such thing as a typical Canadian accent. Accents in Canada vary across the country from coast to coast and from region to region and may even vary from one community to the next within a single region.

Chris Cuthbert's accent sounds to me like an Ontario accent but his speech is a bit muffled because he appears to have a slight paralysis on the left side of his face and his upper teeth are rarely exposed when he's talking, as if he may be self-conscious about them. I suspect he has a full upper plate that alters his speech a bit.

BTW - in case you weren't aware, you're treading on thin ice by starting a thread about Canadian accents in the Canada forum. Such topics ALWAYS attract repeat offender newbie trolls (usually with double letters in their user names) and the threads inevitably end up getting deleted altogether or merged into the Canada Accents thread that was started 9 or 10 years ago. --> //www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ech-vowel.html

I was thinking the same thing.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:23 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:

This is false. There most definitely is a Canadian accent and there is really only variations across the country.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:

Well, you sure called it that time. Who should show up, right on cue, but the resident infant.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This is false. There most definitely is a Canadian accent and there is really only variations across the country.
Tell that to someone from Newfoundland.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Tell that to someone from Newfoundland.
LOL yeah they maybe one of the few small exceptions.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think there most definitely are several Canadian accents across the country, and there is no one typical Canadian accent. To the discerning ear they are all identifiable as Canadian accents in spite of their differences.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
LOL yeah they maybe one of the few small exceptions.
Well, at least you've gone from NONE to a few.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well, at least you've gone from NONE to a few.
I never said None. Newfies are such a small portion of the Canadian population. Anways still doesn't change my point there is a Canadian accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada