Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,709,180 times

Advertisements

Have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 02:21 AM

33,494 posts, read 36,972,653 times
Yup.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,331,682 times
Me too.

Not all at once, but if you add up all the drives I've taken from place to place, I've driven across Canada at least twice. St. John's Nfld. to Victoria BC.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,357,112 times
Me aussi Chevy. Came from Vic (Esquimalt) on leave riding a Triumph TR6 Sport 650 buddied up with another matelot riding a BSA 500 single. We encountered parts of Roger's Pass that were still gravel back then. My friend stayed in Calgary and I rode all the way to Ontario. I could not carry all the bits and pieces that fell off that bike. I believe I may have mentioned in another thread witnessing the burning of St.Boniface Cathedral on my way through Manitoba

A year later summer leave saw me driving in a mint 51 Chevy to Halifax to visit my brother who was also RCN stationed there. Parents used to joke about flipping a coin to see which son and which coast they were going to vacation visit.

Over the ensuing years my wife and I have had occasion to make forays to both east and west coasts many times including one trip to St.Johns Nfld on a Harley Ultra.

This is an absolutely fantastic country for beauty. Seeing the northern lights in full display and huge herds of Elk on the move in northern Quebec. Killer whales and sea lions off Vancouver Is. once waking up after a drunken bash at a beach over off Sooke Rd. to find ourselves among a group of snoozing sea lions that had come ashore during the night .........gather up coolers and .........tippy toe out of there.....

We have a lot to be thankful for, living in Canada.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,725,582 times
Not yet. It's on my bucket list.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times
I have driven to all provinces and territories in Canada except Nunavut which you can't drive to. I did get to Churchill, MB on the train when it was running which is pretty close to Nunavut. So I have also seen all 3 coasts then if you count Hudson Bay as part of the Arctic ocean.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:29 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Like Zoisite it's on my bucket list, to do all in one trip.

I have driven to Calgary a few times, and was a passenger going to Flin Flon on the Saskatchewan/Manitoba border and other little bits in Quebec and Ontario.

I think it would be such a fantastic trip. I promised myself that I have to get to Newfoundland/Labrador and the Maritime provinces one day.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,209,699 times
No haven’t driven “coast to coast” in Canada. I’d like to.

I bet a less percentage of Canadian’s have done it compared to Americans.

Firstly, bulk of Canadians (22 million of 36 total) live in east/central Canada,
Ontario and Quebec. Most not living near a “coast”.

For Ontarians to do a coast to coast drive, first we’d have to drive to the east coast,
which is a two day drive from Ontario, then double back heading west
passing through Quebec and Ontario again to travel to the west coast.
How many people are gonna do that? Not many.

One of my uncles who lives on the BC west coast did travel all the way to Newfoundland
by car. He was glad he did it but it was exhausting and he never did it again, prefering
driving down to California and Arizona instead, much shorter and more rewarding for him.

Canadians are also very tempted to cheat...
meaning going through the USA at some point.

I have driven to BC from Ontario a few times, a couple of times I have gone out of my
way to travel an all Canadian route via Trans Canada Highway but it is longer, slower, and a tougher
way to go, I find northern Ontario particularly exhausting to get through.

The US interstate highways, cheaper gas, food, and lodging has a strong pull to travel via USA.
To either coast, for example, my parents drove to PEI the all canadian way but returned through the US...
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York state.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 AM

5,996 posts, read 7,051,388 times
In 1994 I took a greyhound Canada bus from Toronto to Vancouver

Old 03-18-2018, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,822 times
Yup....northern Ontario was my favorite part of the drive. Twisty-turny roads, forests exploding with colour, lots of Canadian shield and tons of great people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada