Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM

518 posts, read 391,911 times

Advertisements

Bostonkid seems to be a very cool user because he lives in Plateau Mont-Royal, the hippest, fanciest and trendiest district in all of Canada Fusion can't frequent anything comparable to that in GTA since Montréal takes the crown for having the dopest districts.
Montréal was the first city of over a million inhabitants and the first urban city in Canada, all the other cities are just wannabe-imitators who used mass immigration to turn their cities into something urban, but they will never have the same flair as Plateau Mont Royal.

"An abandoned train repair warehouse outside Montreal – converted into a replica of midtown Manhattan at Fifth Avenue between 41st and 42nd Streets – set the scene for their on-screen romance."
https://nypost.com/2004/05/23/the-da...city-by-storm/
Even New York is sometimes not good enough for movies and Montréal is preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
From what I have seen and heard from them, the primary supranational identifier they seem to have would be "Antillais" which roughly means "Caribbean" and includes of course the many other islands that also have a history with French (either French itself or French-derived creole or patois), but is not necessarily limited to the French-influenced islands either.

Beyond that they also identify with other groupings like "the Americas" in general (there is an aspirational aspect to this as it associates them with the U.S. and Canada) and even La Francophonie to some degree.
Yes. I think they have a decades-long fight with Dominicans and therefore prefer other descriptions than Latino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
he is an authentic and genuine Québécoise. I consider AJ the most authentic and valuable poster in here...
Well, I think neither me nor Bostonkid are transsexual and I'm 100% sure Maybe Bostonkid got a little affinity towards accented English once he met some real Frenchmen who made him realize how fabulous francophone culture actually is and how beautiful purely spoken French can be.
un Québécois = a (male) Quebecker
une Québécoise = a (female) Quebecker
des Québécois = Quebeckers
des Québécoises = female Quebeckers
Don't worry, Fusion, La Francophonie will still count you as a francophone once you will have taken French courses at Toronoto's upcoming FLU you don't have to pass a test, just sign up for classes, that's already enough for La Francophonie to qualify you as as francophone

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-14-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM

7,240 posts, read 9,215,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If Bostonkid is indeed QuebecOpec I can tell you that he is putting a heck of a lot of effort into trying to convince us of his ruse. He's done his research because he's hitting all the buttons that would convince me that he's a francophone Québécois.
Which is harder to do than people realise. Every writer has, what they call in the literary world, a voice. Forging that over the many long-winded posts, paragraphs and lines QuebecOpec has made would be impossible. Almost every writer in a second language leaves little clues to that fact and it's different from your everyday native language speaker who is just a bad speller.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM

14,650 posts, read 14,739,331 times
I don't know who that other person is but it is not BK. BK expresses personal opinions and says "I think" a lot rather than always stating everything as if it was fact written in stone. BK wouldn't get personally insulting like that other person with people that he's always previously shared mutual respect with even when they might be disagreeing and arguing about stuff. BK knows me long enough and well enough he certainly would never have made the presumptuous mistake and insult towards me that this other character did. And last but not least BK doesn't write like a long-winded, blow-hard, know it all pretentious snob who feels everyone else needs to be put in their place.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,353,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know who that other person is but it is not BK. BK expresses personal opinions and says "I think" a lot rather than always stating everything as if it was fact written in stone. BK wouldn't get personally insulting like that other person with people that he's always previously shared mutual respect with even when they might be disagreeing and arguing about stuff. BK knows me long enough and well enough he certainly would never have made the presumptuous mistake and insult towards me that this other character did. And last but not least BK doesn't write like a long-winded, blow-hard, know it all pretentious snob who feels everyone else needs to be put in their place.

All the reasons I stopped posting in this thread when they came along.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I have the feeling that in Anglo-American culture people grow up with an inflationary use of the words "amazing, great, right, awesome". There's an endless parade of compliments, praise and positive exaggeration. Kids are always being told that they are right and receive a lot of praise, even if they do mistakes. Once these kids have become adults, they become very sensitive when someone just tries to correct them and become incapable of admitting mistakes. They are not used to it. Also these people are quick to complain when they are not treated like Mr Prince or Mrs Princess. I have not insulted anyone, however in the time of Generation Snowflake the threshold to choosing to feel insulted is very low.

I have always been using facts from StatisticsCanada and have based my posts on empirical data, providing sources for it. Is there a rule that only personal opinions are allowed? This forum is called City Data for a reason. I bring insight and real knowledge instead of vague assumptions. I have high respect for everyone on this forum, I even have so high respect that I take time to look for an offical source, explain my statements, instead of simply saying "wrong".

Anyway, we live in a time where only praise and compliments are positively acknowledged, a criticial comment or critical feedback is much less appreciated, and people will only like those who told them that they are the greatest and best persons. So I don't even bother to try being liked by Zoisite, he has already formed his negative opinion on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Dear Natnasci, what do you expect from me? A reward for stating a wrong fact? That I applaud you for confusing Hispanics with Latin Americans?

I took the time to provide you a long and detailed answer.

I took the time to explain you what a Hispanic is, and what is the difference to the term Latin American. Instead of saying thank you or commenting again, you just withdrew.
I welcome and invite you to be in this topic.

I am one of the few users who actually distinguishes between Hispanic America, Ibero America and Latin America, and don't throw everything into the same box.

Anyway, I will maybe not post into this topic anymore, only if someone else refers to me, I have said what I wanted to say and answered the question of this topic.

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-14-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 01:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

Dear Natnasci, what do you expect from me? A reward for stating a wrong fact? That I applaud you for confusing Hispanics with Latin Americans?

Take that up with the OP. He made it clear who he was talking about. It is obvious he was not asking why there were so few Haitians or Brazilians in Canada compared to the US.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM

14,650 posts, read 14,739,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Well, I think there's no need to stop contributing pertinent posts to other participants in the thread just because one particular individual in lengthy corrective lecture mode is trying to intimidate or monopolize a thread. There's no forum law that requires everyone else has to get side-tracked off topic to pay attention or make responses to a lecturer. We are all accustomed to being ignored from time to time when we're demanding too much attention, the lecturer can become accustomed to being ignored too until he learns to tone it down somewhat.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
English proficiency, if not fluency, and university degrees. These aren't the border hoppers that the United States has to deal with 24/7/365.
Yes because no Latin Americans have degrees or speak English.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Take that up with the OP. He made it clear who he was talking about. It is obvious he was not asking why there were so few Haitians or Brazilians in Canada compared to the US.

I don't understand what you want to tell me.
It has always been clear to me that his discussion was about Hispanics only and that this was the intention of the topic maker.
However other users insisted this was also about a Latin American comparison... so I didn't want to be stubborn and agreed on a LA discussion. It was not until the middle of our discussion, that the topc maker appeared again and clarified that it is indeed about Hispanics, confirming what should have been clear at the very beginning.

I was talking about Hispanics - Hispanics only - at the beginning.
After having compared differences in Hispanic migration patterns among Canadian provinces and after having compared the Montréal's Hispanic population with other Canadian cities, especially Toronto, Fusion expressed the wish to compare the Latin American populations. We then shifted the discussion towards a Latin American comparison and afterswards I suggested to return to a disucssion only about Hispanics in Canada. Fusion was ready to return to Hispanics, too.

Hmmm..UrbanLuis...one question....did you read all of this topic or did you only join lately?

Quote:
Well, I think there's no need to stop contributing pertinent posts to other participants in the thread just because one particular individual in lengthy corrective lecture mode is trying to intimidate or monopolize a thread. There's no forum law that requires everyone else has to get side-tracked off topic to pay attention or make responses to a lecturer. We are all accustomed to being ignored from time to time when we're demanding too much attention, the lecturer can become accustomed to being ignored too until he learns to tone it down somewhat.

Unlike what Zoisite claims, I'm neither intimidating nor monopolizing topics. I'm not even the most nor the second-most often poster in this topic, and nearly all of my posts here result from a constructive, intellectual and mutual discussion with Fusion that has enlightened readers.
For the sake of clarity and scientific correctness, I carefully examine issues, provide definitions and react to misdirection and mislabeling of ethnic and geo-cultural concepts.
Probably Zoisite is just bitter and pressed that his beloved British Columbia and Vancouver is neither the most Hispanic nor the most Latin American province and city within Canada, BC only has 8.46% of all Canadian Spanish everyday speakers, while Québec has 35.03% and he is likely portraying me now in a negative manner because I previously unmasked his wishful phantasy statements.

Fusion has the capability to acknowledge and to learn from mistakes, accept the truth and move on together with the truth ,that's fine, but the user Zoisite lacks this capability and he is now even trying to encourage other users to ignore me.

I encourage all users not to exclude users and to have together a fruitful discussion.

If everyone excluded posts from users he or she does not like, he or she would live in a self-affirming bubble, where he or she only would get his or her favorite opinion confirmed and would live in a seperate reality - in my opinion, this is not good.

Nat, you can post in this topic. I invite you. You always had this freedom and always will have this freedom. But please don't be upset when someone might not agree with you and corrects your numbers. I have already said everything I wanted to say regarding the topic question, so I have nothing more to write or add here, so I'm certainly not dominating this topic.

Everybody and all comments are welcome.

Sources:

Census Profile, 2016 Census - British Columbia [Province] and Canada [Country]

Census Profile, 2016 Census - Quebec [Province] and Canada [Country]

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-14-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,505,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes because no Latin Americans have degrees or speak English.
The ones who immigrate legally to Canada often come with both degrees and English language skills. I didn't suggest otherwise. That's what helps to get them in through the door. The ones who immigrate illegally to the United States often lack both degrees and English language proficiency.

I was trying to reconcile a difference between the Canadian experience and the American experience that seemed to leave the OP a bit puzzled, and that's one thing that comes immediately to mind. We screen immigrants very differently here in Canada to the way that the US does, and we aren't faced with near the level of illegal immigration that confronts the US (not as far as I know, anyway). Nothing more, nothing less.

I had replied to a question that asked specifically why so many South Asian and East Asian immigrants are admitted to Canada -- I answered it with South Asians in mind; I should have been more clear about that -- and the answer is partly because the Canadian system is set up to favour people who have both degrees and English language skills, if not fluency. That educated people from former British colonies still use English in both education and professional settings more regularly than their "Latin American" colleagues doesn't strike me as being unexpected. Does it strike you that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why Canada not have more Hispanic Immigrants?

Canada has lots of South Asian, and East Asian, but why not Latin Americans?

Is Canada trying to differentiate itself from America?
The OP was looking for reasons why there are more Asians and fewer "Latin Americans" in Canada. I believe that the way in which Canada screens people on points -- right or wrong -- for post-secondary education and for English (or French) language ability, real or imagined, goes a long way to explaining that discrepancy. The fact that "Latin American" communities in Canada are much smaller might also explain the gap, at least in part; that's also a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada