Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times

Advertisements

I am very familiar with the Ontario Hispanic community. We have many Latino friends here. The climate is a huge issue for many immigrants. Most Latino countries have much warmer weather than Canada and its a very difficult transition from balmy to frigid. Canada has 2 languages, English and French and Spanish is nowhere to be found on telephone assistance lines. Canada is now less welcoming to Latinos than in the past, I have no idea why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Right...when I lived in Canada I read the food labels in French...great.

In the US....the ballots are printed in All the languages. You get a interpreter in court and at the hospital. The US is multi-lingual...

And on and on it goes....I am an immigrant to the US....and I lived in Canada.

I don't think that having lived in Canada while you were a young kid is something you should be bandying about as if it makes you an authority on the subject of Canada. It doesn't, and by doing so you open yourself up to discrediting and correction. You've never voted in Canada so do you even know what a Canadian ballot looks like?

You've said in previous posts that you and your parents were immigrants to Canada and you were only a school child for the few years that you lived in Canada. You were still a youngster when you immigrated away from Canada into the USA. So you don't really know as much or have the experience that you imply you do about Canada based on only a few short childhood years living in the country. Maybe you should stop doing that.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM

293 posts, read 245,887 times
It's a combination of factors I think.

Unlike the US, Canada doesn't allow chain migration where one single person can potentially bring dozens of relatives through family sponsorship. This is how many, if not most Latinos have immigrated to the US.

Also, if someone from Latin America wants to immigrate to Canada he/she would need to have a high level of English or French proficiency, University degrees, relevant work experience and a good amount of money at his/her disposal.

I come from a Latin America country and not many people meet those requirements. The ones that do meet them are most of the time not willing to go through painful immigration processes, as they usually have a relatively decent quality of life in their countries, so why bother.

I have personally met people interested in living in Canada, but as soon as they look at all of the immigration requirements they dismiss the idea.

Weather also plays a factor, though not that important.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
English-French bilingualism in Canada goes FAR beyond anything that exists in terms of English-Spanish bilingualism in the U.S.

It's getting late here and I don't feel like typing out a crash course on this, but perhaps you should get more info on this before posting stuff that isn't true.
Sure...can you explain to me the differences.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Read all of this, then ask again.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....e/bilingualism

Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I am travelling and typing on a phone. But there are dozens of posts by me on this. Nothing has changed with respect to this situation since I posted them.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't get paid to post on here BTW.

Anyway, see my posts on this page:

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post46686288

Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Sometimes I wish there were more Latinos here, other times I am glad there isn't.

Personally things are looking grim for some immigratns here in Canada. There is a strong anti immigrant sentiment growing here. And unfortunately Latinos are not viewed well in North America. Lots of influence from teh US. Religious groups like Muslims are more welcomed then us.

I never thought I's day this but its getting to the point where I want to leave. I don't want my daughter growing up in a country where people have a view like this.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-17-2019 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Cross-posting from another forum.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Sometimes I wish there were more Latinos here, other times I am glad there isn't.

Personally things are looking grim for some immigratns here in Canada. There is a strong anti immigrant sentiment growing here. And unfortunately Latinos are not viewed well in North America. Lots of influence from teh US. Religious groups like Muslims are more welcomed then us.

I
Clearly not the case here in Quebec.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Clearly not the case here in Quebec.
Nor BC.

I have several friends from Mexico, and they have had NO issues whatsoever. In fact they love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada