Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,944,632 times

Advertisements

The nation with an over abundance of room happens to be the nation that makes it difficult to obtain citizenry. Smart in many ways. But generic rules always fall short in unique situations. Oh well, the rules still stand eh?

Have an idea for obtaining citizenry: "Workers who want to obtain permanent residency in Canada can do so through any of several programs, including the following:

.................................................. .....
Self-employed people who work in cultural or athletic activities, or as a farmer."

It would seem that buying a farm would meet that credential. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Are you folks kidding me? British Columbia prices seem to be crazy! Looks like I may need to reconsider some strategy.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,923,088 times
Or marry a Canadian. Never mind... it's probably the same amount of work as being a farmer.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,336,874 times
Wear a turban or a nikab and you wont have any hurdles at all. Safety rules and citizenship ceremonies will be no big deal either.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The nation with an over abundance of room happens to be the nation that makes it difficult to obtain citizenry. Smart in many ways. But generic rules always fall short in unique situations. Oh well, the rules still stand eh?

What aspect of the immigration process are you having a problem with?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM

14,693 posts, read 14,837,790 times
Quote:

The nation with an over abundance of room happens to be the nation that makes it difficult to obtain citizenry.

Aside from the fact that three quarters of the territory is not habitable nor easily accessible and it already belongs to other people or establishments anyway, the nation having an abundance of territory has nothing to do with whether or not people can obtain citizenship.

Quote:

It would seem that buying a farm would meet that credential. Am I right?

Depends on what you would be committed to doing with the property. I notice you said in your other thread that you're 59 and you want to retire to Canada and live a quiet, simple and apparently unproductive life. So if you weren't working or providing employment for other people then what would you bring to the table that would be your contribution to the nation and to Canadian society that would make you more qualified to live in Canada? Simply buying and retiring to a piece of property that used to be somebody else's established farm wouldn't entitle anyone to permanent residency or citizenship. Would you be prepared to change your retirement plans and continue to develop and work the property as a functioning, productive farm?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Aside from the fact that three quarters of the territory is not habitable nor easily accessible and it already belongs to other people or establishments anyway, the nation having an abundance of territory has nothing to do with whether or not people can obtain citizenship.

Depends on what you would be committed to doing with the property. I notice you said in your other thread that you're 59 and you want to retire to Canada and live a quiet, simple and apparently unproductive life. So if you weren't working or providing employment for other people then what would you bring to the table that would be your contribution to the nation and to Canadian society that would make you more qualified to live in Canada? Simply buying and retiring to a piece of property that used to be somebody else's established farm wouldn't entitle anyone to permanent residency or citizenship. Would you be prepared to change your retirement plans and continue to develop and work the property as a functioning, productive farm?

I have four small businesses and am quite productive. I meant that I wasn't hoping to find a regular job there. One thing I have learned for sure, this is no country for old men. Job applications have gone nowhere though I am sure they don't like 25 years of being self employed...running the same small business.

If Canada doesn't want me, no hard feelings. The world is a big place and I am not a big Trudeau fan to be honest. His time at the top will close of course.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:55 AM

7,247 posts, read 9,251,587 times
You might want to check the provincial nominee programs - for example, Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada

There are many farmer class immigrants to Manitoba, which, I'm sure, is not where you would want to live. There is nothing that prevents people from immigrating to a province under the provincial nominee system and then leaving for another province although I don't see how an investor immigrant would want to do that - invest in a less popular province and then sell in order to go somewhere else. It doesn't seem like that would mean anything but losing money.

Land prices have been going through the roof in all the western provinces for a while now (I'm a farmer).

Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,923,088 times
I got repped for my marriage answer... which I'm taking as a proposal.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,229,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I got repped for my marriage answer... which I'm taking as a proposal.
Proposal, proposition, take your pick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada