Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times

Advertisements

Trump is like the Conceited Man in Le Petit Prince.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Today, White House spokespersons apologized for their name calling, insults and incompetence in diplomacy. Does the White House actually believe that such offence is water under the bridge with an apology? Does The White House believe that interfering with Canada is a plus for the USA?

I wish those people South of the border would think carefully before they speak.

The EU, Mexico and Canada are reluctantly slated to impose tariffs on the USA because the USA has declared an economic trade war on all allies while embracing murderous dictatorships.

Do people in the USA not see what is happening on their watch?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I choose to leave the presidential ballot blank, both candidates were completely unqualified and unfit to serve as President. I am a republican, a very embarrassed republicans admittedly. How trump has treated our closest allies is beyond terrible, the trade wars he is starting will not help anyone. Most who voted for him wanted him to stand up to places like China, clearly our trade relationship with them is unbalanced and unfair. What he is doing however is starting trade wars with the EU and fellow NAFTA nations. He is dismissing the value of the NATO alliance and he is even disrespecting the nations in the world most friendly towards us. Most Americans are aghast at this behavior, Congress is especially angry with him for doing this.

I think a great many Americans are hoping The British, Canadians, Australians, French and the Mexicans will forgive us when this joke is over. Of course that is all dependent on what happens during the election of 2020. Will a more reasonable and traditional republican replace him? A moderate democrat? A liberal loon or will the bafoon Trump get re-elected? I used to think I understood my country but these days I don’t know. I hope reason and normalcy return. If your reading this thread up in Canada be thankful your nation is not so dangerously divided, all of this cannot be a good sign for the US in the coming months and years.

I really wonder how much our allies will embrace china which is officially a dictatorship with the abolition of term limits. Will they wait for america after trump to retake the leadership role? Or is democracy dead?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,421 times
Canada is usually the one of the best performing countries among G7 members in terms of GDP growth

See top 3 G7 members with highest GDP growth by year (Source : Report for Selected Countries and Subjects ):-
2000 : Canada > United States > France
2001 : United Kingdom > France > Germany
2002 : Canada > United Kingdom > United States
2003 : United Kingdom > United States > Canada
2004 : United States > Canada > France
2005 : United States > Canada > United Kingdom
2006 : Germany > United States > Canada
2007 : Germany > France > United Kingdom
2008 : Canada > Germany > France
2009 : All G7 countries experienced economic contractions.
2010 : Japan > Germany > Canada
2011 : Germany > Canada > France
2012 : United States > Canada > Japan
2013 : Canada > United Kingdom > Japan
2014 : United Kingdom > Canada > United States
2015 : United States > United Kingdom > Germany
2016 : United Kingdom > Germany > United States
2017 : Canada > Germany > United States

Projections
2018 : United States > Germany > Canada
2019 : United States > Canada > France
2020 : United States > Canada > France
2021 : Canada > United States > France
2022 : Canada > United Kingdom > France
2023 : United Kingdom > Canada > France

Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Today, White House spokespersons apologized for their name calling, insults and incompetence in diplomacy. Does the White House actually believe that such offence is water under the bridge with an apology? Does The White House believe that interfering with Canada is a plus for the USA?

I wish those people South of the border would think carefully before they speak.

The EU, Mexico and Canada are reluctantly slated to impose tariffs on the USA because the USA has declared an economic trade war on all allies while embracing murderous dictatorships.

Do people in the USA not see what is happening on their watch?
I think many do. At the end of the day, Trump is only popular with about 40% of the population, if polls are to be believed. The problem is that there hasn't been any substantial incriminating evidence against him. Even if Russia did interfere, it doesn't suggest that he colluded with them.

He won the election fair and square, following the principle set up by the electoral college. No amount of revisionist history about how he lost the popular vote is going to change that, since it plays no role in determining the election.

He is the president and we have to deal with him accordingly. If he sets tariffs on Canadian imports, then retaliatory measures are entirely justified.
When he leaves, then we can deal with whoever is in power and see how things play out.

The only smart thing he's done is move the embassy to Jerusalem. That's one thing I wish Canada and other countries had followed.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM

372 posts, read 1,042,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, Congress is trying to take away Trump's ability to impose tariffs without Congress' approval (bi-partisan effort), so there is a chance they can stop him from this nonsense.

This had nothing to do with the Dairy Industry, that is just something Trump latched onto. Remember, he did it under the National Security umbrella, which is how he could do it without Congressional backing.
Of course you're correct. This is just an "in". His eye is on Canada's auto industry. If you include farm machinery, that's almost $100 billion exported to the US. Nobody's going to pay 25% more for a Canadian Ford.

With less regulations and no tariffs, Michigan (or wherever) is going to look pretty good.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I wasn't a fan of Trudeau when he was elected but, as with all governments, eventually one has to accept that the Prime Minister has the best interests of Canada at heart, albeit sometimes with a different emphasis. Trudeau has handled himself admirably since the country down South elected a gibberish speaking buffoon whose statements rarely extend beyond insults, name-calling, praise of murderers, opposition to democracies, and self-serving blatant lies.

The Omar problem was complicated given his lifetime exposure to propaganda and a sister embedded in ISIS. Trudeau was correct in his assessment that a precedent had been set, and a court case was pointless. Hopefully the former captive will make something of his life. People who objected to the settlement were more likely opposed to what was perceived as rewarding a terrorist, rather than opposed to the government that settled based on a precedent.
I was. The funny thing is now, I'm less of a fan. However I do agree that he is doing a good job in dealing with the Orange One.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
You don't have to like anyone all the time. In his response, I thought it was well measured and polite. Exactly what was needed. What I'd like to see (even as someone living in the States) is some really pointed, hard hitting tariffs that kick Cheeto vonTinyhands right in the goolies.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You don't have to like anyone all the time. In his response, I thought it was well measured and polite. Exactly what was needed. What I'd like to see (even as someone living in the States) is some really pointed, hard hitting tariffs that kick Cheeto vonTinyhands right in the goolies.
Hahahaha! Me too!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Ditto that. LOL.

Good one Mike.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada