Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:28 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
If the US sets these tariffs then it's only logical that we retaliate. Nothing against the US, but that's how markets operate.
True, and retaliation begets more of the same until someone cries uncle. Trump is confident it wont be his side...and for good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the only person who was surprised at that fact was Trump.
He vowed to wield the big stick to get better trade deals > one of the incentives for people who voted for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think Canadians would direct any anger at the American people. For me, most of the American people didn't vote for this guy and most Canadians know that. They also know that the Americans who actually come here, are more likely not to be Trumpists. In any event, people are people and politics is politics but tbh - I really don't think U.S/Canada relations will be the same again.
So true! Most of his supporters probably haven’t even left the state they’re from, let alone leave the country!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:57 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
So true! Most of his supporters probably haven’t even left the state they’re from, let alone leave the country!
I think we need to ask ourselves - selves, would we treat someone from North Korea or Iran or Russia badly and make them feel unwelcome simply because they have tosser leadership. No of course not, so why would that be the case for Americans. The biggest shift for me in the last few years is with the American government (for good reasons....!!!!) and this whole thing with NAFTA, Tariffs etc etc to me shows Canada shouldn't place any special relationship status on that country. That special relationship took decades to create, but in less than two years it has taken Trump to put a hacksaw to that. It is what it is - time to move along.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
True, and retaliation begets more of the same until someone cries uncle. Trump is confident it wont be his side...and for good reasons.
You can't look at the impact of retaliatory tariffs as just U.S and Canada. Trump is hitting dozens of countries with tariffs and they are responding in kind. Actually countries who were reluctant are no longer. I think increasingly the world is simply ok with telling Trump if you stick it to us, we'll stick it to you. In the end - all it means is we'll start paying more for things and probably people will lose jobs and economies will contract and yes, the U.S will lose global influence. It is happening in a dramatic fashion actually.

For me Canada should not cry Uncle at all.. Neither should Europe, Mexico, South Korea, China, Japan etc etc... Trump started this mess - he should be the one who has to live with it.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-02-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Speaking of the poor me syndrome Trump has ratcheted up for the last few years. Let's look at this objectively. The United States according to the IMF has a nominal per cap GDP 59K USD per year. Canada is at 45K. This ranks the U.S 7th in the entire world. What is more remarkable than the placing however is the fact that the U.S has over 300 million people. The other top 6 are small European countries and Qatar.. Big deal.. So of the big players in the world and even really the middle of the pack - the U.S leads by a fairly wide margin over most of them in per cap GDP and wealth.

According to the United Nations, the U.S is ranked only 28th in the world for Human Development when adjusted for income inequality. That is a poor showing vs other peer nations in the first world (Canada is ranked 11th and we are slipping..).

My point is, the U.S IS doing well with all the Trade deals it has. It is a wealthy nation. The problem is more how wealth is distributed and not poor trade deals. I don't think there is any economist out there in the U.S who thinks what Trump is doing is going to be good for the country. The U.S would do itself better looking at ways of spreading the already considerable wealth it has to those who have been left behind, rather than dragging the world into what I see is really a domestic issue. Ultimately those poorer people In the U.S who are most impacted by the income inequality will simply hurt more because these trade wars will simply increase the price of their bag of Cheetos.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Speaking of the poor me syndrome Trump has ratcheted up for the last few years. Let's look at this objectively. The United States according to the IMF has a nominal per cap GDP 59K USD per year. Canada is at 45K. This ranks the U.S 7th in the entire world. What is more remarkable than the placing however is the fact that the U.S has over 300 million people. The other top 6 are small European countries and Qatar.. Big deal.. So of the big players in the world and even really the middle of the pack - the U.S leads by a fairly wide margin over most of them in per cap GDP and wealth.

According to the United Nations, the U.S is ranked only 28th in the world for Human Development when adjusted for income inequality. That is a poor showing vs other peer nations in the first world (Canada is ranked 11th and we are slipping..).

My point is, the U.S IS doing well with all the Trade deals it has. It is a wealthy nation. The problem is more how wealth is distributed and not poor trade deals. I don't think there is any economist out there in the U.S who thinks what Trump is doing is going to be good for the country. The U.S would do itself better looking at ways of spreading the already considerable wealth it has to those who have been left behind, rather than dragging the world into what I see is really a domestic issue. Ultimately those poorer people In the U.S who are most impacted by the income inequality will simply hurt more because these trade wars will simply increase the price of their bag of Cheetos.
Well said Fusion; well said indeed.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM

518 posts, read 397,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This nonsense has got to stop. I just hope the next time I visit Canada that I will still be welcomed after all this is said and done. Those who support trade wars are either super rich and can go anywhere they want and still be welcomed like Trump or super poor and super stupid because they don't travel the world and don't realize how interconnected it is.

If I was working in a Montréal restaurant and someone showed up with a Donald Trump T-Shirt or hat, I would give him or her a free gratis beer and I would skip other guests who came before for my special guest.

Donald Trump has many fans all around the globe, especially in Italy, Austria, East Central Europe, the UK and of course the United States.

Barack Obama angered and horrified many British people when he told them that the UK would be last one in the row and last served in the queue if they left the EU, Obama pressured the British to stay in the UK and angered many Brexiters. Trump, however, told the UK that he is going to make special deals exclusive with the UK anytime they want and he has won the sympathy and loyality of many Brits. If there were elections, and the British could choose between Theresa May, another politican and Donald Trump, Trump would win. Recently, Italy chose to take a Donald Trump way, which is evidence that more and more people share the views and values of him.

You should not believe what CNN or Radio Canada is telling you, Donald Trump is more popular than one might assume and he has fans in Canada, too. There's no reason why you should be less welcome in Canada now as an US-American. If anything, you are now even better treated.

A lot of people are tired of being dictated to embrace globalization and are fed up with its negative consequences.

All in all, I don't think though that there is a difference between now and before - Canadians can't tell by your looks whether you are US-American or not, anyway.

Moreover, there are many reasons to support trade barriers and not only stupid and rich people do that, ordinary and intelligent people do that, too! Just think of about all the US-Americans who lost their jobs because they where outsourced! And by the way, the EU itself has also impsoed many trade barriers! It's unfair that Trump gets the hate, while he is only doing the right thing to help his country and the EU is even doing the same in disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Bombardier lost many US contracts for transit cars in US cities to a Chinese company.

Yes. Québec can't win in free trades and has now become a loser.

Quote:
I don't think Canadians would direct any anger at the American people. For me, most of the American people didn't vote for this guy and most Canadians know that. They also know that the Americans who actually come here, are more likely not to be Trumpists. In any event, people are people and politics is politics but tbh - I really don't think U.S/Canada relations will be the same again.

Actually, Trump has also won the popular vote with the highest numbers, Hillary and Obama illegaly registered many illegal migrants and gave them voting rights short before the election, knowing they would vote for her just like Ottawa back then gave allophones short before the 1995 referendum voting rights, knowing they would vote against Québec independence.

However, I agree with your second statement and I also think that Canada-US-relations remain unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
That's nothing more than a prejudice!

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 06-02-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 02:07 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Well, Donald Trump said that Canada was unfairly treating the US and had imposed hidden trade barriers long time before, so I think Trump has the right to reciprocate it. There is no such a thing like free fair trade anyway, it's always just the power of the stronger one. If Canada re-reciprocates counteractions, Trump should also re-reciprocate.
Well, if Donald Trump said it, it must be true. No need to verify the claim - just assume it is true.

Quote:
Trump, however, told the UK that he is going to make special deals exclusive with the UK anytime they want and he has won the sympathy and loyality of many Brits.
Talk is cheap.

Quote:
The US is offering Britain a worse “Open Skies” deal after Brexit than it had as an EU member, in a negotiating stance that would badly hit the transatlantic operating rights of British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ence-1.3415499

Old 06-03-2018, 08:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
If I was working in a Montréal restaurant and someone showed up with a Donald Trump T-Shirt or hat, I would give him or her a free gratis beer and I would skip other guests who came before for my special guest.

Donald Trump has many fans all around the globe, especially in Italy, Austria, East Central Europe, the UK and of course the United States.

Barack Obama angered and horrified many British people when he told them that the UK would be last one in the row and last served in the queue if they left the EU, Obama pressured the British to stay in the UK and angered many Brexiters. Trump, however, told the UK that he is going to make special deals exclusive with the UK anytime they want and he has won the sympathy and loyality of many Brits. If there were elections, and the British could choose between Theresa May, another politican and Donald Trump, Trump would win. Recently, Italy chose to take a Donald Trump way, which is evidence that more and more people share the views and values of him.

You should not believe what CNN or Radio Canada is telling you, Donald Trump is more popular than one might assume and he has fans in Canada, too. There's no reason why you should be less welcome in Canada now as an US-American. If anything, you are now even better treated.

A lot of people are tired of being dictated to embrace globalization and are fed up with its negative consequences.

All in all, I don't think though that there is a difference between now and before - Canadians can't tell by your looks whether you are US-American or not, anyway.

Moreover, there are many reasons to support trade barriers and not only stupid and rich people do that, ordinary and intelligent people do that, too! Just think of about all the US-Americans who lost their jobs because they where outsourced! And by the way, the EU itself has also impsoed many trade barriers! It's unfair that Trump gets the hate, while he is only doing the right thing to help his country and the EU is even doing the same in disguise.

Yes. Québec can't win in free trades and has now become a loser.

Actually, Trump has also won the popular vote with the highest numbers, Hillary and Obama illegaly registered many illegal migrants and gave them voting rights short before the election, knowing they would vote for her just like Ottawa back then gave allophones short before the 1995 referendum voting rights, knowing they would vote against Québec independence.

However, I agree with your second statement and I also think that Canada-US-relations remain unchanged.

That's nothing more than a prejudice!
None of what you've put in print on here so far has surprised me in the least. True to form.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:

!
Trade wars are not going to bring back the jobs lost to outsourcing. New foundries are not going to pop up and start manufacturing all American steel products with all American workers again. It's a pipe dream. The Americans did that to themselves. Everybody wants a bigger and bigger piece of the pie but refuses to pay for it so something has to give. Either work longer hours for less pay or not work at all for no pay. The latter happened all too often in all of our old industrial cities. Now with trade wars looming those same ordinary people will suffer again. Automobiles, gas, heating, home improvement costs, and even bus fare will probably all go up as will the prices of many imported goods.

Let this be a word for warning for Canada. Don't do what the Americans have done and become complacent. We no longer have any rapid transit manufacturers left in the U.S. You have one, which is Bombardier. Bombardier has made very high quality trains in the past but lately it has suffered setbacks at the production line with numerous delays and labor issues. This has ticked off many cities such as New York, Toronto, and even Montreal. It too is at the risk of going under one day if it doesn't change its ways. A trade war will not solve internal labor and production issues. Trade wars are bully tactics only used to mask domestic problems. They do not lead to increased productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada