Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The only reason you answered was because I mentioned Muslims. Had is said something about Buddhist or people from Somalia you wouldn't have said a thing. This is my only complaint. I am willing to bet I personally know more Muslims than you do.
you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,318,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's funny that when someone tries to engage you in a serious subject and gives you every opportunity to make your case, you want to name call. Whatever. It's why I generally don't bother responding to racists or bigots.
Just doing what you did. Had this not been about Muslims you have said nada!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM

You can call me a bigot all you want. I have never said anything about Muslims that was worse than what some people on here have said about Christians. And that is the truth!!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
Just doing what you did. Had this not been about Muslims you have said nada!
I seriously would have liked to know just what posts have been against Hispanics in Canada as they are generally not a target here. I don't read many forums so I am speaking of the Canada forum. Beyond that, the strange and childish "just doing what you did" posts aren't contributing to any discussion as I have no idea what you are talking about. I might disagree with people but I do feel I try to understand where they are coming from.

As far as the target du jour, it's Muslims and Natives as someone else mentioned. It's very easy for certain topics to deteriorate the way this one has. Kim had an excellent point. Hispanics are not left out and probably any group can want some sort of heritage month.

I'm actually very busy and have been reading a lot less on this forum and yes, as a member of a religious minority with a past history of persecution, I have a lot of interest in other religious minority groups. And it's sad to see history repeating itself.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I'm actually very busy and have been reading a lot less on this forum and yes, as a member of a religious minority with a past history of persecution, I have a lot of interest in other religious minority groups. And it's sad to see history repeating itself.
So this is why you feel islamaphobia is more dangerous than other forms of bigotry? Doesn't give you a right to call me bigot cause I have issue with certain aspects of Islam. But go ahead call me all you want.

To all my Native, Black and Hispanic people out there. Maybe we should start telling people we are Muslim. Our complaints might be taken more serious.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:

As far as the target du jour, it's Muslims and Natives as someone else mentioned. .
: smack:

Old 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Blacks, Jews and gays are still at the top of the list when it comes to hate crimes in this country.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbby899 View Post
Muslims have the money behind them. The oil money. Hispanics are a largely poor group of people with little value (in the eyes of the Canadian government). Muslims: oil money.

Most people on this forum clearly feel the same way. Jambo and Acajack are the only ones who have expressed solidarity with Hispanics on here.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,679,522 times
Default .....

Quote:
This forum is funny. if some one says something about Muslims a one or two page discussion will turn into 30 page thread easily within a few hours. When some one says something about Natives , Hispanics or Blacks most people stay quiet. People on here a clearly closet racists.

It is likely only because it is a hyper sensitive topic right now.

The native and black issues have been long standing I guess.

Also for the love of god spot doing the "Hispanic"/ "Latino" lumping. Grouping very diverse places in to the same boat is just odd. Mexico is not Peru... The Dominican Republic is not Honduras. This are very distinct cultures that just happen. It is like lumping all Europeans or Africans in to the same boat. It just does not make sense and encourages strange stereotypes. This attitude is usually only conveyed Americans or Canadians ( copying Americans).

You do seem to have a thing with Muslims. Not sure why as it kind does really mean much as Muslims come from all over the world and actually don't all practice Islam the same way.

Also in Ontario there are LOADS of events related to different countries in Central and South American as well different Spanish speaking Island in the Caribbean which is a good thing. They are getting country specific which is even better because you get a better idea of each places unique cultural attributes.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,679,522 times
Default ....

Quote:
What is more dangerous out here on the prairies? Racism towards Natives or???? No it must be Islamaphobia!:s mack:
I think this debate raises a interesting point.
I think different areas of Canada has different concerns.

For example where you are from there are large First Nation's Populations.

In Toronto there are larger populations of "blacks" and 'Muslims" by comparison.

Blacks in Toronto are not a unified group or are Muslims.

A black person from Trinidad is not a black person from Somalia. They are VERY different cultures, come to this country with different language skills, different levels of exposure to people from different races and faiths and possible different religious. Similar thoughts can be reflected with regards to Muslims.

I really wish you had better expose to people that were Muslim to see this first hand because what you are expressing really does not make sense.

Regarding "Hispanics" I have learned especially through regular exposure, asking questions, travel and doing my own research ex watching shows and going to events that things I may have thought when younger are not true or not exactly as I though. For example I use to think that all "Hispanics" the same in terms of the foods they ate, how the celebrated events ex religious holidays, birthdays, weddings etc..... but this is not true and there are many very distinct differences even in the same country.

I was talking with friends from Mexico and only through that I realized that the Day of the Dead is a regional celebration and many Mexicans don't acknowledge it. That Colombians wedding usually feature a "Crazy hour/ like a Carnival Hours" at the wedding party. Panama hats are not from Panama. In certain places the maid if honour wears a red dress at the wedding ceremony. Lots of very distinct things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada