Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

Associating Drake with black culture in general annoys me because he is no more black then he is white.
His mother is WHITE and JEWISH! He grew up in Forest Hill and was a very popular Teen actor in Toronto on a popular teen tv series. This guy was not hurting economically growing up ... at worst he was middle class.

It if not fair that people want to shove him to a certain box. Ex He looks black so he must have grown up around Jane and Finch or North Scarborough and must have parents from Jamaica ( only picked this island to use as an example because 99% of the time if you tell someone you are from the Caribbean in Toronto they just assume you are from Jamaica ).

Similar to myself and many other people that have more complicated heritages .... it is super annoying when people want to label you as this or that and not accept you are just you ... take it or leave it.

At least part of that though is of course related to the choices he visibly makes in terms of the broader culture he associates with.

He chose to become a hip hop and rap artist, most of the people who seems to associate with are basically from the Toronto version of the inner city hip hop and rap crowd that is prevalent in that scene in the U.S.

He is big on basketball and partakes in the trash talk, aggressive subculture that exists within that sport.

His music videos are heavy on the imagery of the "projects" and the "hoods".

If the shoe fits... wear it. Especially if you are the one who bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At least part of that though is of course related to the choices he visibly makes in terms of the broader culture he associates with.

He chose to become a hip hop and rap artist, most of the people who seems to associate with are basically from the Toronto version of the inner city hip hop and rap crowd that is prevalent in that scene in the U.S.

He is big on basketball and partakes in the trash talk, aggressive subculture that exists within that sport.

It is him image at the end of the day and he is laughing all the way to the bank.
His home on the bridal path area of Toronto is looking pretty good from the pictures I saw.
I guess he is just giving the customers what they want.
The good thing is for someone like him... he is actually talented and I think even if the music thing fizzles out her is an actor and I could totally seem him doing amazing work again on TV and film.

Hate him or love him ... the man's good looking and got talent so I think he is going to be doing okay for a long time.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:40 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
Quote:

lol this is so off based it's not even funny.

The only people that associate hip hop with the inner city are middle age white people that are stuck in the 90s. Today's rappers come from array of socio-economic backgrounds

Quote:
Basketball, aggressive

Quote:
Proof that you never seen a Drake video.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 PM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Quote:
It is him image at the end of the day and he is laughing all the way to the bank.
His home on the bridal path area of Toronto is looking pretty good from the pictures I saw.
I guess he is just giving the customers what they want.
The good thing is for someone like him... he is actually talented and I think even if the music thing fizzles out her is an actor and I could totally seem him doing amazing work again on TV and film.

Hate him or love him ... the man's good looking and got talent so I think he is going to be doing okay for a long time.
I knew you were a drake stan. Your personality reeks of it . You give him way to much credit. I hope you give this much credit to nelly and ja rule.

He is a fake thug and you support it 100%. Again you are a hypoctite

No wonder so many people here despise your viewpoints.

The only way you can judge his impact on Toronto is ovofest and his other venues and whatever event he has. You can’t include the revenue of the Toronto raptors.

Drake can do no wrong. In Toronto. You better feel like this 5-10 years from now cuz the way you slurp him is disgusting and unforgettable. When he gets exposed as the fraud his truly is. Already happening by the way. You just too old and out of touch to see it

Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Basketball is a non contact sport not aggressive at all. Trash talking yes. Not like those barbarians fighting with their gloves off hitting each other with a metal stick! Now that’s a sport for violent thugs.

Is like to see drake trash talk that much in another city. You know the only reason he does it because the raptors enable him. Surprised no players have requested him to be kicked out. What he is doing is flat out trolling. His whole album release feels like a troll job. Lol

Old 07-06-2018, 09:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I knew you were a drake stan. Your personality reeks of it . You give him way to much credit. I hope you give this much credit to nelly and ja rule.

He is a fake thug and you support it 100%. Again you are a hypoctite

No wonder so many people here despise your viewpoints.

The only way you can judge his impact on Toronto is ovofest and his other venues and whatever event he has. You can’t include the revenue of the Toronto raptors.

Drake can do no wrong. In Toronto. You better feel like this 5-10 years from now cuz the way you slurp him is disgusting and unforgettable. When he gets exposed as the fraud his truly is. Already happening by the way. You just too old and out of touch to see it
Relax.
Fact- He is very attractive
Fact - He did a good job on Degrassi Acting
Do I listen to his music .. I downloaded song albums for free. Like a handful of songs.
Would I pay to see him... more then $25 no. If I want it would be just to check it out.

Do I like him as much a
Cardi B
Nicky M
50 Cent
Nelly
Migos

Oh god no.

I like more edge and faster pace songs.

The guy lucked out. He is from out city and reminding people to come check us out

I see lots of concerts and I was in no rush to him live.

Lots of people are fake ... but at least he is filling his pockets from it.

Last edited by klmrocks; 07-06-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
. Not like those barbarians fighting with their gloves off hitting each other with a metal stick! Now that’s a sport for violent thugs.
l
Hockey sticks are not typically made of metal. And hockey can't really be said to have a violent subculture associated with it off the ice. Even on the ice fighting is way down and probably on it way out. BTW I am not really a big fan of the NHL as an organization.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Basketball is a non contact sport not aggressive at all. Trash talking yes.l
I said it had a violent subculture associated with it.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
lol this is so off based it's not even funny.

The only people that associate hip hop with the inner city are middle age white people that are stuck in the 90s. Today's rappers come from array of socio-economic backgrounds

Basketball, aggressive

Proof that you never seen a Drake video.
I have teenagers who listen to hip hop-rap. Thanks.

Yes in terms of audience appeal it has gone hugely mainstream but it was still born in the water it was born in and much of the surrounding milieu still reflects that.

Drake may not be XXXTentacion but he is not Kendrick Lamar or Will Smith either.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Relax.
Fact- He is very attractive
Fact - He did a good job on Degrassi Acting
Do I listen to his music .. I downloaded song albums for free. Like a handful of songs.
Would I pay to see him... more then $25 no. If I want it would be just to check it out.

Do I like him as much a
Cardi B
Nicky M
50 Cent
Nelly
Migos

Oh god no.

I like more edge and faster pace songs.

The guy lucked out. He is from out city and reminding people to come check us out

I see lots of concerts and I was in no rush to him live.

Lots of people are fake ... but at least he is filling his pockets from it.
Ok so you support fakes and frauds. This is what you just admitted to. And your a back peddler to top it off. You got some strong character. Just like drake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada