Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:22 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Do you agree ?

"One market analyst gives Drake credit for 5% of Toronto’s $8.8 billion tourism industry – meaning that Drake drove at least $440 million to the local economy in the last year alone. And some people think that number might be a bit conservative."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjhynKfL4Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 02:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Who is he be?

Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Not a fan but there is no doubt he brought attention to city that it didn't get before. Him and the weeknd.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:57 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
Media loves drake. There is no way these #s can be actually proved.

I been saying legalizing weed will boom the economy.

Let’s see which one inflates tourism more.

Legalized weed or drake.

Lol.

This is a legit question y’all should make on your Canadian networks.ive see much more head scratchers about drake.

Then again he is the perfect character and resmbles Toronto Greatly. So I can see why you like him so much.

It’s annoying because I go to New York and I don’t hear anything about him except the odd song. Toronto loves $ucking drake off. Just swallow already. O and no stars signing with the Toronto raptors. Blackface drake

Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
I don't know how they are coming up with thoses numbers ... but yeah Drake?

Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Five percent is only one-twentieth.

I wonder how much tourism to Toronto is caused by the Blue Jays, the Maple Leafs, the Beaches Jazz Festival, Caribana, the CNE, Pride Day (week? month? I forget), the CN Tower, the Toronto Zoo, and others, as well as people visiting friends and family who live in the city. Then there are attractions and celebrations outside the city proper: Markham Fair, Stouffville Strawberry Festival, Canada's Wonderland, and so on.

In other words, I wonder how many people come to Toronto because of Drake; and how many come because of Drake plus the Blue Jays plus Pride Day plus the many great golf courses plus the CN Tower, all in the course of a week?

Can we separate Drake's contribution to the city economy to the point where we can say that he is solely responsible for 5%, or must he share that 5% with other attractions and celebrations?

Old 07-06-2018, 03:55 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
5% is millions of visitors though. It's hard to believe that an artist like Drake whose renown is fairly recent and appeals to a fairly limited demographic can bring millions of people to a city.

Even cities with way more iconic celebrities or pop culture characteristics that have a much more established and widespread appeal (think of Cheers in Boston for example) wouldn't even have 5% of their tourism industry depending on them.

Consider Elvis Presley and Graceland only drive about 20% of the tourism industry in Memphis.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post

Then again he is the perfect character and resmbles Toronto Greatly.
Let's hope that that is not the case as the aura surrounding him has a lot of violent crime (shootings of associates, shootings at events he's held) and he is not known for cooperating with the police when these things happen.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ....

Associating Drake with under life in Toronto is comical. Any association with anything like this was by choice and not need.

Growing up in a area around some of these gang bangers and being exposed to some of these people when they were kids you can clearly see the tragedy. Most of these people come from poverty and just bad family environments. There is nothing good about this. Toronto is not that bad compared to many places... but many of these kids come from families with problems and were messed up as a result. This is not anything like "Drake's" situation and he should not have to be pushed in to trying to associate with that. There are certain pockets of the city where a lot of these gang bangers come from that are just depressing by Toronto standards.

Drake is talented and he should not have to be "acting" like a someone who grew up ( where I grew up lol ) to get street credit.... he has got talent. So why slum it?

Associating Drake with black culture in general annoys me because he is no more black then he is white.
His mother is WHITE and JEWISH! He grew up in Forest Hill and was a very popular Teen actor in Toronto on a popular teen tv series. This guy was not hurting economically growing up ... at worst he was middle class.

It if not fair that people want to shove him to a certain box. Ex He looks black so he must have grown up around Jane and Finch or North Scarborough and must have parents from Jamaica ( only picked this island to use as an example because 99% of the time if you tell someone you are from the Caribbean in Toronto they just assume you are from Jamaica ).

Similar to myself and many other people that have more complicated heritages .... it is super annoying when people want to label you as this or that and not accept you are just you ... take it or leave it.

So thanks Drake make those other people drop their money in Toronto's hands.... we are glad to take it !

Those shooting have nothing to do with "him" they would have happened at any event.

People want to forget that this type of stuff has been happening outside of night clubs in Toronto when Drake was in diapers.

In the 90s it was the same deal.

People use to be scared to go to the Government Night Club and the Docs for the same reasons.

You have people drinking, doing drugs and trying to pick up people of the opposite sex. Fights happen and yes sometimes people are waiting to settle scores in the parking lot.

Inside the venues especially ones where Drake is holding stuff the security is usually high... but that does not mean you can't sneak something in.

For example someone like me would have an easy sneaking something in to a venue.

Men on the other hand are getting patted down before entry.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Funny though I've never heard of shootings involving people who are part of the entourage of Rush, Céline Dion or even The Weeknd (who is 100% of African origin, unlike Drake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada