Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW at this point I am not really concerned about illegal immigration as an issue from a Canadian perspective. At all.
I agree. I think it's hilarious people on here talk about Mexicans "pouring in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The policy was publicized and parents crossed the border illegally anyway.

The people coming in from south of us could have stopped in Mexico and applied for asylum there. They did not. Almost all who claim asylum do not qualify for it. The US cannot absorb every poor person in the world who wants to come here to make more money than he can at home.

Like it or not, there is no way to vet Syrian refugees adequately. I would be happy for my tax money to help settle them in Muslim countries in the Middle East.

I quoted the article that I did to show the reasons children could be separated from the adult they are accompanying. Under Obama these families were not detained at the border and sent home. They were allowed to stay in the country, where the majority failed to keep court dates, disappeared, and were never sent back home though they were not eligible to stay. That was the reason for the change in policy.

If we are not going to separate children and adults that are allegedly families, detain them together but do not release them so they will never be processed and mostly sent back home because they do not qualify to stay.

If no effort is made to prove a given child is with a parent, then some children will be placed in the custody of people who are not their parents. I do not think that is a good idea, but maybe you think it is fine.

No one has answered my question, so I will ask it again. Should the US not demand that illegal aliens caught with children be expected to follow the same rules that Canada has for legal entry into Canada? I posted them earlier, and they are stringent, including passports and a letter from the other parent if both are not with the child.

I do not think you understand what child smuggling is. Here is the link again.

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/f...y-20170728.pdf

"'Alien smuggling' is the term given to the act of assisting anyone in any way and at any time to enter the United States unlawfully, regardless of whether that person is a family member, or whether it was done for monetary gain."

U.S.-Mexico border family apprehensions up so far in 2018 | Pew Research Center

"The United States apprehended nearly 49,000 family members at the U.S.-Mexico border between January and June of this year – more than twice as many as during the same time period last year, and the highest number during any January-June period since at least 2012, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of U.S. Customs and Border Protection data. Family members also increased as a share of all border apprehensions (24%) over this period compared with the past six years."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ilies-us-bord/

"The government warned federal judges in 2016 that their attempts to create a catch-and-release policy for illegal immigrant families would lead to children being “abducted” by migrants hoping to pose as families to take advantage.

The court brushed aside those worries and imposed catch-and-release anyway.

Two years later, children are indeed being kidnapped or borrowed by illegal immigrants trying to pose as families, according to Homeland Security numbers, which show the U.S. is on pace for more than 400 such attempts this year. That would be a staggering 900 percent increase over 2017’s total."

How does it work? Does Canada just accept the word of the adult witout documentation? If you come into Canada legally you need to document a child is yours, but if you cross the border illegally you don't? Somehow I doubt that.

What nefarious purposes would that be?

So there is a magic number of separations that is acceptable - if Canada does it?

It may stink to you, but the responsibility for it ultimately rests with the parent who brought the child across the border illegally.

By the way, dear readers, I have a daughter in law who is from Mexico. She is in the US legally, having paid an attorney to make sure she did everything properly, and is on her way to citizenship.
As far as Syrian refugees Canada took in over 40 000. It is a lie to say that they cannot be verified or vetted. If Canada can do it then so can the States. Countries like Jordan took in over 2 million refugees, guess they are a richer country than the States. The Arab league begged the &S t9 n9t invade Iraq as it would cause instability in the region and it did and the States ignored the damage done. And the biggest problem caused by the US is just like the separating families, the occupation was poorly planned.

No one is asking for the US to allow everyone in, just go back to your pre April 2018 policy. Trump mentioned that both his wife and daughter told him it was wrong to separate kids from their parents but you seem to think it is necessary. Up until this spring your country seemed capable of being able to determine if kids were related to the parents. Somehow once the policy of separation became politically indefensible the concern about child trafficking arose.

There is no magic number of separations that is acceptable. If there are grave concerns that require the separation then it happens, otherwise it doesn't. Just like it was in the US up until April.

Over 2000 children were separated from their parents over a little over a month, some of them still breatfeeding and some of the parents asking for asylum. Reuniting the families seem haphazard as if it had not been planed out. Your President and a Court as well as politicians from both parties now think it was a bad idea. Taking kids from their parents by telling them they are going for a bath and them shipping them off somewhere else is indeed unnecessary traumatized.

If I am not mistaken this policy is no longer in force so no need to keep coming up with justifications

I also find it remarkable that the United States is one of the very few counties in the World that lacks the capacity to vet Syrian refugees.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
By and large most of these people and their claims are not covered by the international definition of refugees seeking asylum. Perhaps the definition should be changed, I dunno. Anyway, a lot of people should look at the current definition.

Canada BTW is sending back most Haitians who arrive here because it considers that the crisis caused by the huge earthquake a few years ago is over and that the country has sufficiently recovered.
And by the third country policy or treaty that does not grant asylum if they have already been in a safe country and as they were supposedly safe in the States they cannot be legally considered a refugee under that agreement, our hands are tied unless we get out of that agreement or if it changes.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:22 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
The US (as a best guess) has about 12 million undocumented immigrants. Let the rest of the world take a turn.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
The US (as a best guess) has about 12 million undocumented immigrants. Let the rest of the world take a turn.
Naaah; the rest of the world can change our own diapers tires and oil and have even been known to clean our own pools and mow our own lawns. You keep them as you obviously need them to keep alive your impressions of still owning slaves.

Why else would you invite them in to give them jobs, driver's licenses and multiple amnesties while knowing they're illegal? You broke it, you own it.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Naaah; the rest of the world can change our own diapers tires and oil and have even been known to clean our own pools and mow our own lawns. You keep them as you obviously need them to keep alive your impressions of still owning slaves.

Why else would you invite them in to give them jobs, driver's licenses and multiple amnesties while knowing they're illegal? You broke it, you own it.
Exactly, undocumented workers would not be coming if Americans weren't hiring them. I am n9t sure how good the system of legal migrant workers operate in either Canada or the States.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM

If you lived in Honduras or other failed states wouldn't you want to get the heck out of Dodge?

Lately, apparently ICE has put many of them on edge and some are even returning to Mexico and points South.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:31 PM

All the preceeding notwithstanding, the average American (and I suspect, Canadian) has a lot more to worry about in their daily lives than the topic of illegal immigration.

Here in Arizona, we seem to have a respectable number of Canadians living here (or maybe they just own homes here?). From what I've gathered, our Red state politics seem to agree with them. Or maybe all the Conservative Canadians live here - I don't know.

Last edited by Slater; 07-08-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 03:53 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Over 2000 children were separated from their parents over a little over a month, some of them still breatfeeding and some of the parents asking for asylum. .
Who the hell swims across the Rio Grande or crosses the Sonora Desert with a baby that's still breastfed????

Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
That is so messed up. Poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada