Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

I doubt this happens everyday, but this story just makes me wonder how some people can be that out there to think they can openly harass someone in this day and age.

At this moment the man in the video being harassed choose not to press charges.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4340336/l...en-accusation/

Also the talk of "hate crime" came up, but I thought we did not have a legal term of this nature based on something another posters with more advanced legal knowledge said. It the media promoting this confusion by using these terms.

Regardless ... if this was you being harassed in this way what would you do?

Would you press charges?

The video does not explain the full story... but I don't know why this man thinks he has the right to try to block this man from leaving the store or to be threatening him like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Probably would have gotten violent. I got no problem taking it to certain levels. As I get older I realize most aren’t willing to put their bodies/lives on the line to fight for what they believe in/right. Millennials are generally pu$$ies that overthink everything.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 PM

I don't u understand what thus guy was carrying on so stupid for. I have to wonder if he was off? Like who acts like that? Thinking tgey woman restrain or harass someone like that? If someone is true mentally off I would not entertain them and just call the police and let them deal with it. But this guy l just don't get how he could act that nuts ...

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I've seen lots of drunk people behaving aggressively towards other people that way, and worse. That jerk was probably drunk.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've seen lots of drunk people behaving aggressively towards other people that way, and worse. That jerk was probably drunk.

I know? It us just too odd to think someone would be acting like that.

The guy being harassed reminds me of how I act when drunk people are annoying me at concerts.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM

54 posts, read 70,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Probably would have gotten violent. I got no problem taking it to certain levels. As I get older I realize most aren’t willing to put their bodies/lives on the line to fight for what they believe in/right. Millennials are generally pu$$ies that overthink everything.
You do realize if you're the first one to initiate contact you can be charged with assault, right? And the law is rather ambiguous in Canada of how much force constitutes self-defense and how much force constitutes assault. Quoted from Bill C-26:

Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

The part I highlighted is the key issue here. What does "no more than necessary" mean? That has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and would have to be proven in a court of law. So even if you act on self-defense, **you** may end up being the one paying damages or serving time in jail.

People who have something to lose (a home, savings, etc.) would most likely hesitate to use violence in cases like this. I mean, let's be honest: Do you wanna deal with the court system? Do you wanna waste time of your day, money on lawyers and still be open to the possibility of losing more than what you gained by punching an *******?

There is a reason of why people overthink these things. You can easily end up worse than how you started.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzazz33 View Post
You do realize if you're the first one to initiate contact you can be charged with assault, right? And the law is rather ambiguous in Canada of how much force constitutes self-defense and how much force constitutes assault. Quoted from Bill C-26:

Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

The part I highlighted is the key issue here. What does "no more than necessary" mean? That has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and would have to be proven in a court of law. So even if you act on self-defense, **you** may end up being the one paying damages or serving time in jail.

People who have something to lose (a home, savings, etc.) would most likely hesitate to use violence in cases like this. I mean, let's be honest: Do you wanna deal with the court system? Do you wanna waste time of your day, money on lawyers and still be open to the possibility of losing more than what you gained by punching an *******?

There is a reason of why people overthink these things. You can easily end up worse than how you started.
You also have no idea who you are dealing with and how far the other person is prepared to go. You could end up dead.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzazz33 View Post

What you said is EXACTLY why I would do ever touch anyone even if provoked.

It is just not worth the headache.

If I want to strike back I just need to call the police ... play the victim card to the fullest and watch then suffer the consequences. I could also pull out my phone record the incident then post it online to make their life a living hell for at least 6 months to a year. However even in doing that you could risk being sued for recoding someone without their consent unless I am mistaken about this.

There are far too many ways to fight back without getting your hands dirty.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You also have no idea who you are dealing with and how far the other person is prepared to go. You could end up dead.

Exactly.

That is what really shocked me about people especially when dealing with someone who is clearly intoxicated or severely mentally ill.

Why escalate the situation? The are out of it and could really likely go to extremes and if you are not then you are very likely risking criminal charges and jail time even if you think it was self defence.

Call the police. That is what we pay taxes for. Let them deal with it.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
If they guy acted out in violence, people would have said "oh look and angry brown guy". .....

Since the guy was trying to block his way and moved with him everytime he tried to pass, I would have had some fun with him and started dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoMBFhMdDw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada