Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know, but some of the posters in this thread have absolutely no hesitation interjecting their opinions into US elections.
That's not what Zoisite is talking about. It's not about people talking, but governments playing some sort of role in another countries elections.

It's perfectly fine that posters on CD and people out in the world give opinions about any countries elections....especially the US. The US doesn't get to have it's fingers in so many pies around the world, and not expect the world to comment.

For myself, I love to hear what others have to say about Canada and it's elections.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-04-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
I don't know, but some of the posters in this thread have absolutely no hesitation interjecting their opinions into US elections.

So what? Don't worry about it. They're just opinions, everybody is entitled to their own opinions. It shouldn't matter to you any more than so many Americans' opinions matter to us.

Have Canadian opinions about US elections ever at any time had any influence on the outcomes of US elections? No, of course they haven't.

The last US federal election proves it. Ya know, when Trump was campaigning and Canadians kept saying "This has got to be some kind of joke, right? You Americans can't seriously be considering such a totally corrupt and unsuitable person for the position of POTUS! Yikes!" And OMG y'all actually went and did it and put the demented, decrepit old degenerate into the White House!!!!! So Canadian opinions obviously didn't matter.

And Nat is right, I wasn't questioning about ordinary citizens talking, but about other governments having some sort of role or influence in other countries' elections.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:19 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'd say the leadership of France (Macron) is particularly strong, Germany (Merkel) is declining, the UK (May) is a disaster, as is the US (Trump).
I don’t know if Macron is particularly strong now. His popularity is at 36% according to one poll. I also remember how shocked I was when his popularity in France dropped like a stone a mere 3(?) months after he was elected. Now of course there’s the fallout from the scandal about his bodyguard:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1KL2I3

Quote:
I like Trudeau although I don't think he really understands how out of control the immigration situation in Canada is right now. What's going on at Roxham Rd is similar to many of the border towns along the US/Mexico border. I guess now you're seeing what we've been dealing with for 50 years.

I guess I'm curious how the media will portray the immigrant situation and how Trudeau will respond. I think it's evident he will be re-elected but I want to see how he tap dances around this issue.
The media report the facts:

Justin Trudeau is losing the argument on border crossings, poll suggests

I don’t know if Trudeau will be re-elected. It may depend on what happens between now and October 2019.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Ouch that hurt!
Haaar! You took it well grasshopper, you took it well.

About once every couple of weeks or so I just have to get a good rant out there to hover like a strike drone.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don’t know if Macron is particularly strong now. His popularity is at 36% according to one poll. I also remember how shocked I was when his popularity in France dropped like a stone a mere 3(?) months after he was elected. Now of course there’s the fallout from the scandal about his bodyguard:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1KL2I3

The media report the facts:

Justin Trudeau is losing the argument on border crossings, poll suggests

I don’t know if Trudeau will be re-elected. It may depend on what happens between now and October 2019.
Trudeau has not really ever had to question his beliefs to any extent as most silver spoon children are exempt from outside influence challenging their viewpoints.

I'm sure he's having some introspective moments regarding his knee jerk response to Trump's travel ban and immigration restrictions. I suspect that was something he had very little consultation with more experienced diplomats before uttering his assertion that was interpreted to imply Canada would welcome all and sundry.

I'm going to opine that the majority of Canadians are resentful of Trump's bully tactics and his total lack of any kind of discretion with his stupid mouth and would probably react unkindly if Trudeau is seen to roll over even a little bit. Time and future events will of course paint this picture in a manner we cannot begin to guess at now.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:49 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
I think both of you missed the point. I'm not talking about emulating policies, I'm talking about Canadian politicians taking into account Trump's aggressiveness. I think it will obviously play a role in the election.

We've seen that with a number of elections worldwide where politicians made statements either for or against Trump in their campaign.
Look at Mexico's recent election.

Quote:
Well, assuming NAFTA is settled by then, and other than some concern about irregular immigration, what U.S. policies do you think Canadians would feel any desire to replicate here? I’m fairly sure we don’t want to build a $25 billion wall, give big tax cuts to the wealthy, eliminate our single payer health care system, increase pollution, decrease consumer protections, leave NATO, make abortion illegal, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't quite understand your thinking. It's a Canadian election, it has nothing to do with American administrations. What role have any past American administrations and policies played into previous Canadian federal elections and policies? No roles or influence that I'm aware of, so apart from the fact that the guy is a doofus who is on the majority of Canadians' s**t-lists, what is so special about Trump or any of his screwed up policies that might factor into any Canadian debates?

Old 08-04-2018, 09:06 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think both of you missed the point. I'm not talking about emulating policies, I'm talking about Canadian politicians taking into account Trump's aggressiveness. I think it will obviously play a role in the election.

We've seen that with a number of elections worldwide where politicians made statements either for or against Trump in their campaign.
You’ve lost me. How and why would a Canadian politician take Trump’s aggressiveness into account? Trump can’t vote.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 PM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
You’ve lost me. How and why would a Canadian politician take Trump’s aggressiveness into account? Trump can’t vote.
I don't think that's the question. I think the question is more the following:

"Given the unpredictability and volatility of the Trump presidency towards Canada, especially since the US and Canada have traditionally had a very close relationship to date, how will Canadian political parties' platforms address the currently strained relationship in the next election?"

That may or may not be the question, but I would answer the above thusly:

It's too early to tell. With any election over a year away, and (as has been stated) short election campaigns in Canada, there is plenty of time for action/reaction and damage control to current events.

How that action/reaction occurs over the next year will be telling. So far, Mr. Trump has surprised us with tariffs on our products--and we promptly slapped tariffs on American products. Mr. Trump claimed it was in the interests of American national security--and Chrystia Freeland promptly went on CNN to say to Americans, "You think we're a threat?" How the US acts, and how Canada reacts (or should react, according to the Conservatives and NDP and the others), over the next year, will form part of any party's policy.

But only part--there are many other issues that affect Canada and Canadians. Damage control with regard to the refugee crisis is one example. Foreign policy. Trade agreements, TPP, NAFTA, even interprovincial trade are issues. NATO contributions, the military, and peacekeeping. Gun laws. All of these, and more, will be considered by Canadians when they head to the polls in over a year. And a lot can happen between now and then.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

I don't know anything about whatever other politicians in other countries might have said for or against Trump during their election campaigns, so I can't take any of that into consideration. Have there really been a lot of world wide elections in the past two years? Are other leaders afraid of that one man?

Be that as it may, I don't really care about how other countries politicians conduct their campaigns or what they say about Trump.

But with regard to the bolded part above I don't believe that Trump's bullying, maligning and aggressiveness towards Canada is going to play any role in our next federal election. I think right now the majority of Canadian media, politicians and voters alike pretty much all stand united in equal measure of mutual contempt of the man. So what else is there to say about him, other than to say we feel sympathy for the USA for them having inflicted their selves with him and we hope they've learned a lesson from it.

But Trump is not a major focus of Canadian attention, more like an irritation that everyone is just patiently waiting to say good riddance to, whether he be impeached or fade away into his senility or whatever it is that ails him (and take his supporters with him) before he does too much more damage to USA's reputation and alliances in the world.

For all we know he might have been replaced in a year from now so I can't think of why any Canadian politicians on the campaign trail would have reason to speak for him or against him. It wouldn't be very diplomatic or professional anyway to speak of any other country's leader and his illness when the focus should be strictly on Canada's election and Canadian goals. Maybe they might have things to say about other relationships and alliance between Canada and USA and even other nations but not necessarily about whoever will be the current president or stand-in president of USA at that time. Honestly, I don't think Trump can stick it out another year anyway, he's deteriorating so rapidly now.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Thats because how America conducts itself has consequences in Canada,if America goes into major decline Canada will feel the impact, not so the other way around as Canada is too small demographically to make much of a difference in USA so we feel like we have some skin in the American game and so comment on Americas policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada