Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times

Advertisements

All the way across the mountains, heavy smoke from BC wildfires is choking Edmonton.
I live on the 5th floor of a high rise and usually have a nice view from my balcony, river in one direction and high-rise downtown on the other. The smoke is so solid I cannot see either. It's covered the sun completely here for 2 days with a perpetual overcast. I've never seen anything like this before in any other part of the world I have lived. I can't imagine what cities in BC are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 06:36 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,185 times
It's pretty bad alright!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
We’ve been feeling the effects of the BC and Alberta fires here in Winnipeg too. Skies are hazy although the sun does get through. I’m looking forward to the blue skies which are predicted to be back starting Sunday.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
This has become the new "normal" for British Columbians.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
We’ve been feeling the effects of the BC and Alberta fires here in Winnipeg too. Skies are hazy although the sun does get through. I’m looking forward to the blue skies which are predicted to be back starting Sunday.
It's supposed to be 38 on Sunday. It hasn't been getting as hot as predicted because of the haze. I don't know about the city but the air inversion visible here had a really thick layer of smoke hanging over everything this evening. I wondered a bit if it was dust from all the harvesting going on. The gravel roads here are seriously dangerous to drive on with the dust making visibility poor, especially if you're stuck behind some big machine.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This has become the new "normal" for British Columbians.

And we Washingtonians as well. We seem to be trading smoke back and forth across the border from our many wildfires. Summers have become increasingly unhealthy in western Canada and the northwest U.S.

My earnest gratitude to the firefighters, Canadian and American, who risk their lives to keep us safe.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Vancouver had a really bad summer a few years ago. It made people depressed. Smoke smell everywhere, the sky was just a haze, felt like there was a lot less oxygen and you had no energy to want to do any outside activities.

That said we did go camping in an area that was still open, but had a fire 22k away. Wasn't the best trip, worrying about having to evacuate at any moment.

This year so far haven't had any real issues with forest fire smoke in Vancouver, but we did have two other fires that cause some smells, one a bog fire, the other a bunch of tires on a barge.

Today for the first time in weeks, we might get some rain!

Old 08-11-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Wow. Winnipeg! I was looking at the fire map of BC and it is horrendous.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And we Washingtonians as well. We seem to be trading smoke back and forth across the border from our many wildfires. Summers have become increasingly unhealthy in western Canada and the northwest U.S.

My earnest gratitude to the firefighters, Canadian and American, who risk their lives to keep us safe.
Washington too. Yikes. I agree with your kudos to our firefighters!
I was quite disappointed that our hottest day was thwarted by the smoke. I happen to enjoy spates of really hot weather.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:04 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's supposed to be 38 on Sunday. It hasn't been getting as hot as predicted because of the haze. I don't know about the city but the air inversion visible here had a really thick layer of smoke hanging over everything this evening. I wondered a bit if it was dust from all the harvesting going on. The gravel roads here are seriously dangerous to drive on with the dust making visibility poor, especially if you're stuck behind some big machine.
Winnipeg did reach forecast high today ....38C / 100F with smokey skies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada