Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,833 times

Advertisements

Wow, that was a long time ago........Hamilton today is not so good.
Generaly people in Ontario are so grumpy, and unhappy...nowhere to go and the publec school system is...well let say....kids are geting stupid by the second.
You made good, by moving from here, enjoy pansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_happy View Post
Generaly people in Ontario are so grumpy, and unhappy...
Oh is that so? Maybe in the smog filled steel city of Hamilton but people ain't like that where I live....good luck in Edmonton, been there, don't like it!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 22,833 times
No need to take it personaly, glad you love where you live. Hamilton is boring, but didn't see much deference in Niagara, Halton, GTA, Winsor, London, Colingwood and so on... but then I was in Paris past summer and didn't like. As far as Edmonton never been there so it would be unfair to say much

Old 05-10-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
Smile Diserable West End Edmonton

Hello,

If you are looking to move to Edmonton the West End is a VERY safe and family oriented place to live. I have to young girls 6 and 4 and have lived in the westend all my life. We are having to move which breaks our heart and our home just recently up for sale. Everything is upgraded top to bottom, total of 5 bedrooms and a heated jetta soaker spa tub. We have a wonderful park right behind our house with 2 good schools one Public and one Catholic elementary To see more, my home is advertised on Kijiji.

[url=http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-housing-housing-for-sale-Westend-5-Bedroom-Bi-Level-in-Thorncliffe-West-End-Edmonton-2-W0QQAdIdZ50362255]Westend 5 Bedroom Bi-Level in Thorncliffe, West End Edmonton 2 - Edmonton Real Estate For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton[/url]

and on the MLS. [url=http://www.mls.ca]mls.ca - Welcome[/url] [URL="http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26P age%3d1%26vs%3dResidential%26ret%3d300%26sts%3d0-0%26beds%3d0-0%26baths%3d0-0%26aid%3d4656%26tte%3d1%26tt%3d1%252c2%26mp%3d0-0-0%26mrt%3d0-0-4%26trt%3d2%26of%3d1%26ps%3d10%26o%3dA&Mode=0&Prop ertyID=6978175"] http://images.mls.ca/listings/reb10/lowres/1/e3142221_1.jpg (broken link)[/URL] [URL="http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26P age%3d1%26vs%3dResidential%26ret%3d300%26sts%3d0-0%26beds%3d0-0%26baths%3d0-0%26aid%3d4656%26tte%3d1%26tt%3d1%252c2%26mp%3d0-0-0%26mrt%3d0-0-4%26trt%3d2%26of%3d1%26ps%3d10%26o%3dA&Mode=0&Prop ertyID=6978175"]MLS®: E3142221[/URL]

The garage is heated with 220 wiring. We are the second owners here for 11 yrs the previous owner was a welder. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Diane

Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Born and grew up in Hamilton. Lived on Kenilworth Ave between Beach Rd and Burlington. Went to HTI (Hamilton Technical Institute).Served in RHLI (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry). Later moved to US. Good luck on your move. Steve
I also lived in Hamilton until my dad was killed in an accident when I was 11. We lived on the "mountain" on Wentworth st. between Lime Ridge road and Stone Church road....It was rural way back then.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:12 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Do they still call it Mt Hamilton on the hill? Remember riding my bicycle up the hill to a underground small stream that had COLD water which also fed into a fountain. Tasted good. Recall when Stoney Creek was outside of town. Friends of my parents (Mike and Theresa Hermann) lived door next to a winery. Cherry Beach was a place that I went to a lot. Used to ice skate on the bay during the winter and was scared a few times when it cracked under me. Wow!!! such memories. Steve

Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,626 times
Stay farrrrr away from Edmonton is my only advise to you. We emigrated here from Europe due to work and are literally doing everything we can as fast as possible to get away from here. Your children are at an enjoyable age right now (and so were ours when we arrived) However, your children will become teenagers and at that point you would be very lucky parents or indeed naive/unaware of what the majority are doing here.prostitution (in most JUNIOR High Schools), Drugs and crime are rampant throughout the schools and communities. If any parent asks their child about gangs their kids will know many involved and quite often will be a member. Edmonton is INFESTED with youth gangs who work alongside adult gang members. Try logging on an Internet site called nexopia.com you can find pictures of guns, drugs and gang related activity to your hearts content and this isnt just male related, most girls are attracted to this lifestyle too due to the money. I was amazed at how many people were actually involved in this type of lifestyle (kids) and how many adults are involved in these networks. We live in a very "well to do" part of Edmonton and constantly see drug deals or hear of yet another crime in the area. In some areas of Edmonton there are hookers everywhere and you are not able to drive downtown without seeing a lot of junkies on the way. Kids are drinking heavily. Pot is nothing compared to what the kids are taking into schools. Cocaine, Ecstacy, crack and meth are very common. You can also catch videos on youtube that show hookers (some young girls) doing crack and heroine on people's doorsteps. I can only advise you to stay far away from this City unless you have the money to send your children to a boarding school once they reach approximately 12. I was also informed by family services here in edmonton that the average age for girls loosing their virginity here is 10 years old. If you have children, edmonton is not a good choice.

Over the past few years Edmonton has become very overpopulated. I have lived in many parts of the world and have never heard of not being able to get a Doctor, especially that you have to pay premiums/health insurance here. Also if your doctor is ill or unable to see you for whatever reason you are really going to suffer if you need to visit what is called a "Medicentre" - The health care system is absoloutely awful. As for other services you may need to use ... or indeed if you need help with something you will be very lucky to recieve a "professional" service.

The weather is very bad during the Winter but what makes it worse is that the city is so vast you will never see roads maintained. In 8 years I have never seen a snow plough in our neighbourhood or on the main avs/streets in the area. If you suffer from depression the winters will depress you unless you will be able to sit at home for the rest of your life and will never have to go to work

Most of the people I have met from other parts of Canada who have come here with families have either left, returned to wherever they came from after a certain period. prices have gone up, the population is booming and police, healthcare etc do not have enough resources to cope.

Property prices have boomed, gas (as everywhere) has gone up and a lot of employers are money hungry and are not treating their staff fairly. Your Husband can earn A LOT of money in the oil fields etc but once your children are a few years older you may feel that it really wasn't worth the sacrifice of your husband being away so much and him actually being away did not help the situation either.

The plus side of living in Edmonton is that they have a few restaraunts that serve fabulous food and the Rocky Mountains are only a few hours away!

Perhaps come here on vacation and good luck to you if you decide to stay.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,813 times
I have lived in Edmonton for just over a year now coming from outside of Vancouver and I like it here.

If your husband is a welder he should be able to find maybe work in the city but I think they pay more up in Fort Mac. Although everyone I know who has worked up there hated it. I guess it is just make your money and leave kind of deal.

As for me I was amazed at how much work there is here and most employers I have talked to seem a lot more easy going here and there is less red tape about getting a job.

If you like sunshine this place has quite a bit. That is the first thing I noticed about moving here it hardly rains as often as where I was living before. :P Although winter is colder but it is also dryer so it is a trade off for me anyway. But I just dress for it and I'm fine. But if you're coming from Hamilton you have probably actually experienced a real Canadian winter before so should be less of an adjustment for you.

I have only been here for one winter and I think it snowed late October or early November or something. It kind of was on and off some days it would be -20 for a bit then I remember some it was even plus weather in December and was -40ish for a week in January. I think the snow was all gone in May but it had melted a few times before but came back.

I think Edmonton has a fair amount of crime at least pretty much comparable to Vancouver. I have not personally experienced any theft or anything here so cannot really comment. I would say like most larger cities though you should probably lock your house doors and car doors to prevent someone from breaking in.

As for neighbourhoods I live in Old Strathcona near Whyte (82) Ave and I really enjoy it here. I'm close to many shops, restaurants, parks, and other facilities. Also I'm kind of centred in Edmonton and can get around to most areas quite easily.

Anyway overall I really enjoy living here and I'm glad I moved. Edmonton is probably not for everyone but for me I think it is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada