U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 20,380 times

Advertisements

Hi
Please I would gladly appreciate any info regarding Edmonton. My husband, 2 kids and I are planning to move 2nd part of this year. My husband is a welder and he is planning to work at oil rigs, or something like that. Any how my interest is with the best neighbourhoods, schools, entertainment, recreation, rental properties and so on that usually is important for good family life.
I do love snow, but hate cloudy and dark days, bcs. I suffer from depression, oh yes; I should mansion I like snow till the end of January. After that I am fine with +20c, and yes I know, will not happen in Alberta, but I would like to know when to expect green grass, and when usually bad weather starts. As well I would like more info on crime statistic, and what crime, I mean drugs, drunks, hookers, are given but what about homicide?
Thanks to all in advance
Anna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM

136 posts, read 855,346 times
Its not called sunny Alberta for nothing. Depression that is light related should not be a problem in the spring/summer/early fall. In the winter you can have a lot of sunny days they're just very short. This year for the first time I bought one of those SAD lites that I sit in front of for 30 minutes in the morning and I can tell you it makes a world of difference. I started in November and will start a little earlier next year. By end of February I just stopped turning it on. It was almost unconscious. It was light when I woke up so didn't feel the need for it.

So for anyone that gets seasonal light related depression I would highly recommend this. I got it at a medical supply shop for about $200. Best $200 I ever spent.

On the flip side in the summer when it is light till 11 pm its marvelous.

Green grass would be nice now but I wouldn't expect it till May.

If your hubby is working in the oil patch you would do well to try the north east. There are some nice areas with great access to the refineries. I think Clareview is one of the nice areas. Not too pricey but safe from what I've heard. But I haven't lived in Edmonton for 20 years now.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Lightbulb Moving to Edmonton from Hamilton

Thank you so very much Snappy

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM

136 posts, read 855,346 times
Oh yeah, the bad weather! I try to forget about that. Usually you dont see the bad bad weather till late Oct early Nov. And frankly I have been back in Alberta to 3 years now and there has not been any REALLY bad weather. Mind you I am in Calgary and it is warmer here.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 PM

6,831 posts, read 20,275,086 times
Born and grew up in Hamilton. Lived on Kenilworth Ave between Beach Rd and Burlington. Went to HTI (Hamilton Technical Institute).Served in RHLI (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry). Later moved to US. Good luck on your move. Steve

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks.
The area you grow up is not the best now.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM

6,831 posts, read 20,275,086 times
B.. Happy: Nice to receive a reply so quick. My dad built the house 1940-41, can't remember the exact yr. It is the one with the CALIF. style picture window and some lge cement bldg behind it, if you happen to go by there. This was the 1st calif. style window in Hamilton as architects came by to see it. Dad got the idea after a visit to calif. I have relatives in Welland and Port Colborne and was last back there for a visit in 19171. I moved to US in 1948 and now retired in Mexico below calif. border. Anyway it is nice to respond to someone from Hamilton. Good luck in your move and thanks again. Steve

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM

39 posts, read 277,937 times
Edmonton neighbourhoods: there are some nice, family friendly neighbourhoods in all segments in the city. A poster above mentioned Clareview - not the nicest anymore. For someone with a family, I would avoid the downtown, McAuley area and Alberta Avenue area (although there are some nicer homes and streets starting up in that neighbourhood). The least pricey part of the city is generally the northeast (but the houses are generally older and smaller, and the crime rate is higher in the northeast than in most other areas - but not unliveable by any stretch). Edmonton housing costs are outrageous right now - we're a masters-educated couple working in education and consulting respectively and are moving to Ontario because we can't afford to buy a home here in a neighbourhood in which we'd feel comfortable raising kids. The homicide rate is higher than most cities in Canada...but this isn't saying much - it's not that high, and as in most cities, murders are crime/gang/drug related, not directed at the general population. This is a very kid-friendly city, with lots to do in the summertime. The winters are long and cold (but sunny) and can pose a challenge for getting out and finding activities. Schools and healthcare are really good in this city. The people are really friendly and outgoing - so it's a great city in that respect. It's still cold and brown here now (and we'll likely get more snow again before the green grass comes).

Some helpful websites with real estate prices are:
Real Estate Weekly
Edmonton Real Estate, Alberta - Edmonton Homes for Sale

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Thank you, appreciated.
If you don't mind, can you advise me about rental properties, which buildings are in good standing, if you know.
Thank you and good luck in Ontario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada