Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 25,739 times

Advertisements

It looks like my husban is being trasfered to kentucky. Have you or someone been transfered? What should i be expecting? We think he is going to go there are a year and our daughter and i are going to stay here(ontario) and get some thing done. I've been looking at the usa visas and everything is confussing. Any help would be great!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,759,581 times
Perhaps you could explain a little more about what exactly you find confusing.

I, and perhaps other members, may wonder why you'd be looking at US visas if you plan on remaining in Ontario.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
If your husband is being transferred to Kentucky, it stands to reason he got a work visa. There should be no problem getting visas for a spouse and non-adult child to accompany him.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM

123 posts, read 612,004 times
My husband was transferred from BC to NC. I would strongly recommend hiring an US immigration attorney that is close to the port of entry he will be coming through. The first time we were refused entry to the US because of a error in our paperwork. Usually they decide at the port of entry whether or not to approve the visa so you basically don't know until the last minute what your future will hold. He will be interviewed by the immigration officials. As our family was waiting for the interview (around 2 hours) I watched countless people be refused entry for being hesitant, nervous, not have correct paper work...I was surprised.

It all depends on the type of Visa he is applying for. I would ask the company to deal with it for you. They should be arranging it if he is transferring. I think my son came across on an L1 or 2 visa? In looking at the Visa website it looks like things have changed since we came across. He came down on a visa that was for specialty skills or something...been awhile. I would suggest just hiring an attorney. Well worth the money.

Are you planning on moving all your stuff or storing it in Canada and renting furniture while in the USA. We used Atlas vanlines to move us from Canada to usa. They did all the documentation for the border. We just had to label each box and provide a list of everything we were bringing. Cost was around 4000 to move 6 years ago.

If you plan on bringing your vehicle down he will need to have the state inspect it as well as register it and find a new insurance company. He will need to write a test for a new license as well (depends on the rules there, here it was I think 30 days and I needed a state license in order to get insurance on our car).

He will need to go to social security office and show his approved I-95 or entry record and apply for a social security number. You will also need to get a tax ID number for your child that will be accompanying him to the USA in order to be able to use the child as a deduction on him income tax.

Make sure the company is going to have US health coverage for your family as well. Doctors are expensive! Two days in the hospital for me was 15,000 for me (Canadian health insurance doesn't work here or at least BC medical)!

There were so many things that we didn't know about when we moved here and had to learn them the hard way.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 160,115 times
Hi Timdani,

My husband is working as a pharmacist in PA, and myself, our two little boys are staying in Ontario. As you mentioned earlier, your husband is transferred, I assume his employer will be arranging his TN visa, which he has to renew every year. As MamaBear75 mentioned, he has to get SSN. But, for yourself and the kid, you do not really have to go to get the ITIN, you can do it through mail.

From TN visa, the company can apply and change to H1-B. Using H1-B, you and the children can get H-4 which allows you to have a status in US, you & the children and go to school. But, if you want to work in US, you have to apply another visa, which we did not do that. My husband is still working in PA, but he works one week there, and then come back to Toronto, and work one week here. So, he does not have to forfeit the Canadian health card. Plus, we are not planning to move to the States at all.

Hope this helps! But, as other posters mentioned, your husband's company should take care of all the immigration problem for you all.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Or you could be on an L-1A or B. L1A spouses get an L-2 which allows them to work and get a SS#

More info is needed.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 25,739 times
Thanks for the info. When i know more then i will let you know. He is down there now doing a job repair and asking them the inportant question.
Thanks Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada