Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times

Advertisements

What is Cape Breton Island like? I know: its isolated in Canada LOL and summers are ok

What taxes are there?

This would be for a summer home.

Are there supermarkets there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 03:27 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Cape Breton Island is not isolated. There are road and rail links to mainland Nova Scotia, and air service out of Sydney. There may be other air services, but I've only ever flown in and out of Sydney.

There are supermarkets. Also, gas stations, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, and Wal-Marts, among other amenities of modern living. And rental cars--Cape Breton is a popular summer destination, and tourists often rent cars. I cannot speak to taxes, but I'd guess that they are comparable to other places in Canada.

Why the interest in Cape Breton, if I may ask?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:46 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
Thanks. It looks nice and has nice summers.. I have a lot to learn about the area, although my mom spent a lot of time there in the 1940's-1950's.. I don't mind getting away from Trump either for the summers..

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM

631 posts, read 562,781 times
Cape Breton Island has a rugged natural beauty by mainland Nova Scotia standards. Cape Breton Highlands National Park is a good place to get away in nature, to hike. Some years ago, however, a singer from Toronto was hiking alone there and was mauled to death by coyotes. Cabot Trail is beautiful. Lake Bras d'Or cuts through the island.

They have cities that offer most amenities (i.e., Sydney, Glace Bay). People do live there and have to shop... even in the smaller communities. It's not the end of the earth...

The island is home to an interesting mix of Anglo-Maritime, Acadian, and residual Gael and Micmac culture, if such things interest you.

They still speak French up along the coast by Chéticamp and neighboring communities. They have a good local French-language radio station operating out of Chéticamp. When I was there as a kid they also spoke French to the south on Isle Madame. Don't know though if this is still true.

There's been a renaissance of sorts in Cape Breton Gaelic culture. St Ann's Gaelic College attracts students from across Canada and the U.S. to study the Gaelic language, music, dancing. Cape Bretoners are collectively proud of their island's Scottish roots (or at least those with Scottish family backgrounds are). Tourist outlets promote the *Scottish*. The island is also home to a Celtic music industry... or, more accurately, musicians who produce and perform Celtic music. Mabou has historically been a center of Celtic music. In the fall each year, they put on a Celtic festival to coincide with foliage change... I think it's called Celtic Colours. They put up bilingual English-Gaelic road signs to promote the local Gaelic heritage. Some study groups formed by adults to learn, practice Gaelic have come together. But the Gaelic *fact* is residual. The island was a thickly Gaelic-speaking place at the turn of the 20th century. Some people want to bring it back and the provincial government supports that to some extent... especially in order to bring in the tourist dollar.

There are a lot of Micmac in Whycocomagh, Eskasoni and other places on the island. Among the Micmac, there has been renewed interest in bringing back their native language as well. My memory of them, however, is that they are poor... but that is just a memory.

Last edited by 2ner; 10-12-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM

401 posts, read 426,803 times
You may want to also check out Prince Edward Island (PEI) for a summer place. If you love beaches with no one around, rolling green potatoe fields, fantastic seafood, great folk music, wonderful local folks, etc. We travele to PEI from the Philadelphia area, 2 days of driving, since 1985 and love the place. We were in Sydney NS this summer on our way to Newfoundland and much preferred PEI, we have been to NS several times. NS and PEI are completely different places and worth exploring. You can take a ferry from NS to PEI if you ever get to the area.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:03 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Cape Breton island indeed does feel very isolated. That is part of the beauty that attracts many people there. It is very beautiful.

My first home in Canada was a long the southern part of the Cabot trail. It is is a very special place.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Cape Breton Island has a rugged natural beauty by mainland Nova Scotia standards. Cape Breton Highlands National Park is a good place to get away in nature, to hike. Some years ago, however, a singer from Toronto was hiking alone there and was mauled to death by coyotes. Cabot Trail is beautiful. Lake Bras d'Or cuts through the island.

They have cities that offer most amenities (i.e., Sydney, Glace Bay). People do live there and have to shop... even in the smaller communities. It's not the end of the earth...

The island is home to an interesting mix of Anglo-Maritime, Acadian, and residual Gael and Micmac culture, if such things interest you.

They still speak French up along the coast by Chéticamp and neighboring communities. They have a good local French-language radio station operating out of Chéticamp. When I was there as a kid they also spoke French to the south on Isle Madame. Don't know though if this is still true.

There's been a renaissance of sorts in Cape Breton Gaelic culture. St Ann's Gaelic College attracts students from across Canada and the U.S. to study the Gaelic language, music, dancing. Cape Bretoners are collectively proud of their island's Scottish roots (or at least those with Scottish family backgrounds are). Tourist outlets promote the *Scottish*. The island is also home to a Celtic music industry... or, more accurately, musicians who produce and perform Celtic music. Mabou has historically been a center of Celtic music. In the fall each year, they put on a Celtic festival to coincide with foliage change... I think it's called Celtic Colours. They put up bilingual English-Gaelic road signs to promote the local Gaelic heritage. Some study groups formed by adults to learn, practice Gaelic have come together. But the Gaelic *fact* is residual. The island was a thickly Gaelic-speaking place at the turn of the 20th century. Some people want to bring it back and the provincial government supports that to some extent... especially in order to bring in the tourist dollar.

There are a lot of Micmac in Whycocomagh, Eskasoni and other places on the island. Among the Micmac, there has been renewed interest in bringing back their native language as well. My memory of them, however, is that they are poor... but that is just a memory.
I would't single out the Mi'kma'ki. NS was poor the last time I visited with our friends. After the coal mines closed and the overfishing by foreign fleets there's nothing left to do but go on the dole.
https://nsadvocate.org/2017/09/18/wh...ty-on-the-map/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada