Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

With the declining number of English-speakers in Quebec’s Eastern Townships, does Bishop’s University have a bright future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
With the declining number of English-speakers in Quebec’s Eastern Townships, does Bishop’s University have a bright future?
Most of the students there don't come from the Townships, or even from Quebec.

Bishop's is also chosen by quite a few francophone students as a way to beef up their English.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most of the students there don't come from the Townships, or even from Quebec.

Bishop's is also chosen by quite a few francophone students as a way to beef up their English.
Bishop is a smaller school than I thought. Its enrollment is a little less than the state university in my hometown. Does it have a rigorous curriculum? Where do the students come from?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Bishop is a smaller school than I thought. Its enrollment is a little less than the state university in my hometown. Does it have a rigorous curriculum? Where do the students come from?
Rigorous? Maybe.

Extensive or comprehensive? I would say no.

I believe half or more of their students come from outside Quebec. Mostly Ontario.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
I know quite a few Maritimers that went there. I'm pretty sure a lot of kids from the Maritimes still go there.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM

518 posts, read 398,310 times
Anglo youth goes to Montréal where all the exciting stuff is, for them the regions are dull and boring, and honestly I support their attitude 'cause that's how it is.
I used to think that most students form Bishop's U come from New England/US-America but I went to their site and was VERY surprised that ONLY 5% of their students come from the US, 83% are Canadian, 17% other countries of which only 5% are the US.

I think this is very stunnning considering that Sherbrooke is just 40km away from the US border and closer to NYC than Toronto.

I think it's overhasty to assume that Anglos would in general go to Bishop's U - it's a private university and thus relatively expensive compared to the public Us.

As Acajack said, francophones attend Bishop's U, too, and their number is relatively small, so Bishop U's will have a bright future as their will be always students to choose from.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

I think it's overhasty to assume that Anglos would in general go to Bishop's U - it's a private university and thus relatively expensive compared to the public Us.

Bishop's is not a private university. There are no private universities in Quebec and Bishop's is the same as McGill, the Université de Montréal, Université Laval, and the Universités du Québec network.

Tuition fees are very similar across all universities in the province and only vary according to the program you are in.

Bishop's is pretty cheap for Quebec students, about average for Canadians from other provinces (who pay higher fees that make it about the same as studying in their home province) and semi-expensive I suppose for kids from the U.S. and other countries.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Bishop's is much cheaper than private universities in the U.S.. It was featured in an article sometime back in the late 90's, early 2000's about Americans saving on higher education costs by encouraging their kids to apply to schools north of the border. Cost is not what keeps more Americans and other Anglos from attending Bishops, rather attribute it to the fact that it is small, located in a predominantly Francophone (and might I add rural/suburban as opposed to major city) region and is not as well known as other schools in Canada. Still as a smaller school in a smaller city, Bishops does not have to aspire to be another McGill, U Toronto, or Simon Fraser and as it has existed for so long, must be doing something well to survive.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 AM

518 posts, read 398,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are no private universities in Quebec and Bishop's is the same as McGill, the Université de Montréal, Université Laval, and the Universités du Québec network.
Indeed, Bishop's is public, today I learnt something new.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Cost is not what keeps more Americans and other Anglos from attending Bishops, rather attribute it to the fact that it is small, located in a predominantly Francophone (and might I add rural/suburban as opposed to major city) region and is not as well known as other schools in Canada. Still as a smaller school in a smaller city, Bishops does not have to aspire to be another McGill, U Toronto, or Simon Fraser and as it has existed for so long, must be doing something well to survive.
While Bishop’s isn’t a private school, it is one of the few universities in Eastern Canada that offers the ‘small liberal arts college’ experience typical of many private colleges in rural New England (not sure there are many others in Canada except St. Francis Xavier in NS). So Bishop’s offers that experience at a fraction of the post, but also possibly a fraction of the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada