Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 06:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Given the announcement that the Indian police services have finally raided a number of the CRA scammer sites in India; has anyone else wondered at the performance, or admittedly, my perceived lack thereof of our vaunted federal cop force?

Not very long ago there was a Marketplace investigation that interviewed the top cop in India who quite succinctly implied that if the officials in Canada were grappling with a problem involving India that perhaps they should inform or consult the Indian authorities and they'd be more than happy to work with them to resolve the problem.

Now today's news is full of the raids having taken place by Indian authorities (after an RCMP representative finally deigned to act and go over there) on a number of these sites with apparently many more to come. At least 600 Canadians have been stung and it's expected there will have been many more come to light.

Then we get feted with more information that numerous Canadians lodging complaints about these scammer calls and their victimization, were not even responded to by local AND RCMP, leaving the distinct impression they weren't interested in the trend UNTIL that marketplace investigation revealed their "perceived" disinterest.

What the heck is wrong with this picture?

Last edited by BruSan; 10-31-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Failure in communication?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Failure in communication?
A very charitable assessment, I think.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Can I just post how much I like that this part of the forum can use lassitude, and have it be in the proper context, and people know what it means?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 PM

Haaar! Well, my first knee jerk choice was "ineptitude" but demurred due to knowing they'd have the smarts but were only lacking the drive.
Then I segued to "apathy", but thought that denoted more of a 'willful intent' while "lassitude" left them room for simply being overwhelmed and tired of it all while preferring to maybe call long distance after the next box of Timbits.

We can have fun on here if we make the effort.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
I think it's a money/funding issue. I've also asked my brother who's in the force about these scams and been referred to the same old reporting websites, where they do absolutely nothing about it other than issuing the occasional warning about persistent scams in a given area. I had a discussion some years ago with another member, not my brother, regarding a cross border crime and the basic answer was that these things aren't pursued because there is not enough money in the coffers. They aren't interested in these sorts of crimes.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! Well, my first knee jerk choice was "ineptitude" but demurred due to knowing they'd have the smarts but were only lacking the drive.
Then I segued to "apathy", but thought that denoted more of a 'willful intent' while "lassitude" left them room for simply being overwhelmed and tired of it all while preferring to maybe call long distance after the next box of Timbits.

We can have fun on here if we make the effort.
I'm not allowed to make jokes about cops and doughnuts Funny how a brotherly sense of humour completely disappears when I do.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not allowed to make jokes about cops and doughnuts Funny how a brotherly sense of humour completely disappears when I do.
Understood! We have a retired RCMP guy in our golf league in Florida and those of us from Canada are relentless in teasing him. Perhaps we're placing too much at risk by taking for granted his inability to own a firearm in the U.S.?

An American unfamiliar with the "taking the mickey" kind of Canadian humour usually reserved for all forms of government employees once asked our table: "they're the federal police force, aren't they the best you've got"? An answer floating across the table was "they're still riding horses only trained to run in circles, what do you think?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada