Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Culturally, is Canada more similar to US or UK?
More similar to US 28 62.22%
More similar to UK 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Canada has a bizarre bilingual tradition that is incongruent with any of the five UKUSA countries (I know why this is, don't lecture me). .

It does stand out within the Anglosphere it's true, but from where I am sitting there isn't anything "bizarre" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
It really depends on which way the wind is blowing.

My American friends constantly point out the differences. Some subtle like having the Queen on our money. They point out the portrait of the Queen when she appears in public institutions, even on the BC Ferries, her portrait is on every vessel. They think it was very British of us singing God Save the Queen in school. Don't think they do that anymore, but for people of a certain generation, it's a distinct memory.

Also in school, there is a difference, sometimes subtle sometimes not, about not being a citizen of a super power. Americans views on history can be very different from most Canadians. Americans views on their place in the world is very different from Canadians.

Scottish Regiments. We just take them for granted in Canada, but again, while walking by one of our armouries, with American friends, they noticed the Scottish style of the building. I explained Scottish Regiments to them, pipe bands and all. On that note, our military. It's not so in your face in Canada. In the US it seems everyone has a family member or knows someone who has served. They are much more militaristic than Canada.

In the Eastern US, there are a lot of British names of towns and area's. New England as an example. However theses exist all over Canada. From Victoria to Halifax.

Sports. Not a huge organized sports fan, more of an individual sports person...running, biking..etc. So besides the obvious game of hockey being huge in Canada and not as big in the US or the UK, I can't comment, except to say, you see cricket being played here in Vancouver. Curling, exist in the US, but it's not as ubiquitous as it is in Canada.

Another obvious connection to the UK is our political system. I think a few of us, myself included, got a lesson in just how different politics is in the US. Electoral College? Who knew? Government shutdowns where workers go unpaid and services stop? Not really possible in the Westminster Parliamentary system.

Quebec and French Canadians. Nothing like this exists in the US or the UK.

Indigenous peoples. This is something we have in common with the US, except in Canada over 4 percent identify as indigenous, and in the US it's under 1 percent. I think sometimes Canadians get so used to something that they don't see it, or visitors are just unaware, but in Canada indigenous people and their issues are much more present in every day news and politics.

The other big differences between Canada and the US, and not Canada and the UK is healthcare and gun culture. Totally different in Canada, and in my opinion a HUGE important difference.

This is not to say we don't have a lot in common with the US, but most of it is superficial. It's pop culture. TV, movies, music, etc
We do absorb a lot of it in Canada, more than other countries, at least up to now. With Netflix, and the internet people around the world ( who have enjoyed US pop culture as well ) now get more of it more easily.

So to answer the question, I voted for the UK because of our institutions, our politics, our views on healthcare, gun laws and other important issues that are the backbone of a country. . In the case of law though, Quebec is different, but that part makes Canada unique, and not the UK or the US, or even France.

In the end though, to me, Canada is culturally Canadian.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-13-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It really depends on which way the wind is blowing.

My American friends constantly point out the differences. Some subtle like having the Queen on our money. They point out the portrait of the Queen when she appears in public institutions, even on the BC Ferries, her portrait in on every vessel. They think it was very British of us singing God Save the Queen in school. Don't think they do that anymore, but for people of a certain generation, it's a distinct memory.

Also in school, there is a difference, sometimes subtle sometimes not, about not being a citizen of a super power. Americans views on history can be very different from most Canadians. Americans views on their place in the world is very different from Canadians.

Scottish Regiments. We just take them for granted in Canada, but again, while waking by one of our armouries, with American friends, they noticed the Scottish style of the building. I explained Scottish Regiments to them, pipe bands and all. On that note, our military. It's not so in your face in Canada. In the US it seems everyone has a family member or knows someone who has served. They are much more militaristic than Canada.

In the Eastern US, there are a lot of British names of towns and area's. New England as an example. However theses exist all over Canada. From Victoria to Halifax.

Sports. Not a huge organize sports fan, more of an individual sports person...running, biking..etc. So besides the obvious game of hockey being huge in Canada and not as big in the US or the UK, I can't comment, except to say, you see cricket being played here in Vancouver. Curling, exist in the US, but it's not as ubiquitous as it is in Canada.

Another obvious connection to the UK is our political system. I think a few of us, myself included, got a lesson in just how different politics is in the US. Electoral College? Who knew? Government shutdowns where workers go unpaid and services stop? Not really possible in the Westminster Parliamentary system.

Quebec and French Canadians. Nothing like this exists in the US or the UK.

Indigenous peoples. This is something we have in common with the US, except in Canada over 4 percent identify as indigenous, and in the US it's under 1 percent. I think sometimes Canadians get so used to something that they don't see it, or visitors are just unaware, but in Canada indigenous people and their issues are much more present in every day news and politics.

The other big differences between Canada and the US, and not Canada and the UK is healthcare and gun culture. Totally different in Canada, and in my opinion a HUGE important difference.

This is not to say we don't have a lot in common with the US, but most of it is superficial. It's pop culture. TV, movies, music, etc
We do absorb a lot of it in Canada, more than other countries, at least up to now. With Netflix, and the internet people around the world ( who have enjoyed US pop culture as well ) now get more of it more easily.

So to answer the question, I voted for the UK because of our institutions, our politics, our views on healthcare, gun laws and other important issues that are the backbone of a country. . In the case of law though, Quebec is different, but that part makes Canada unique, and not the UK or the US, or even France.

In the end though, to me, Canada is culturally Canadian.
I often like to say that Canada in spite of the appearances is somewhat different in "ethos" from the U.S. I also think that this Canadian "ethos" is also largely shared between Quebec and the rest of the country. Or at least, if it's not identical, it's definitely compatible.

While in some ways one might say that Anglo-Canadians may share more in common with Americans than they do with the Québécois, I think that what I described above probably trumps all of that (which is still a biggie, it's true) when it comes down to the fundamental outlook on life.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Now, I am not sure if I would describe that "ethos" as being primarily British-inspired, though. Obviously the British influence is part of it, but it's more likely the result of a meshing of the various influences that have made contemporary Canada: British, French, American, indigenous, more recent immigrant groups (often different than the predominant ones in other countries), etc.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
The flaw in this question is that there is no definitive US culture. Visit New England, the Southeast, southern Louisiana, South Florida, the Midwest, the SW, and the NW, talk to the locals and you'd think you visited seven different countries. Yes, there's a common language. Yes, there's McDonalds and GAP and a host of other superficial things in common. But attitudes, priorities, and values are wildly different. In my travels to Canada, the same is true. Alberta has more in common with their state counterparts across the board than either have to New York or Ottawa. And Seattle and Vancouver have a great deal in common, too.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I often like to say that Canada in spite of the appearances is somewhat different in "ethos" from the U.S. I also think that this Canadian "ethos" is also largely shared between Quebec and the rest of the country. Or at least, if it's not identical, it's definitely compatible.

While in some ways one might say that Anglo-Canadians may share more in common with Americans than they do with the Québécois, I think that what I described above probably trumps all of that (which is still a biggie, it's true) when it comes down to the fundamental outlook on life.
Can't argue with that

Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Now, I am not sure if I would describe that "ethos" as being primarily British-inspired, though. Obviously the British influence is part of it, but it's more likely the result of a meshing of the various influences that have made contemporary Canada: British, French, American, indigenous, more recent immigrant groups (often different than the predominant ones in other countries), etc.
A unique mixture that make Canada, Canada.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The flaw in this question is that there is no definitive US culture. Visit New England, the Southeast, southern Louisiana, South Florida, the Midwest, the SW, and the NW, talk to the locals and you'd think you visited seven different countries. Yes, there's a common language. Yes, there's McDonalds and GAP and a host of other superficial things in common. But attitudes, priorities, and values are wildly different. In my travels to Canada, the same is true. Alberta has more in common with their state counterparts across the board than either have to New York or Ottawa. And Seattle and Vancouver have a great deal in common, too.
Yes, and there is no definitive Canadian culture, or UK culture if we get down to it.

You have to take in a larger view by stepping back when looking at the countries. That's why institutions, politics, etc play a huge part in my answer.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Every country - even the smaller ones - has some degree of "regionality" to its culture so Canada, the US and the UK are no different in this respect.

That said, I don't think most people (either in the US or outside it) would have much trouble pinpointing a whole slew of things that are culturally iconic about the US, and which are reasonably present throughout the entire country. The same goes for the UK.

Doing the same for that which is "Canadian" is a much more elusive exercise (for several reasons). That's kind of the point of the discussion between Natnasci and I on here.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Funny the Canadians who say it is more like the UK...have never even been to the UK

Most Canadians also have likely not spent sufficient time in Middle American or Southern states, so they don't really know "The US" either (Just as most Americans never been to many parts of Canada, so they really can't say much about it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada