Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Canada 22 66.67%
Switzerland 9 27.27%
it's a tie 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:50 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Switzerland is there really a choice? One of the world's highest standards of living. Well located in the heart of Europe. Great skiing options. Multi lingual so great. Close to Italy and France and Germany. (not to unlike a drive to the shops, for some Canadians) Most democratic nation on earth with voting system. A pension system that ensures a pretty decent retirement. Top quality. But yes expensive. Very expensive. But petrol cheaper than Germany.
Hmmm...great skiing options...true...but Canada has some very good skiing options too,
including amazing helicopter skiing in BC that beats anything Switzerland has.

Multilingual so great....hmmmm....Canada has super multicultural cities that Switzerland can only dream of.
Canada is officially bilingual, and has many first nations languages too.

Both are democratic...both are usually in top 10 or top 20 countries to live in.

Petrol cheaper than germany....hmmm....petrol (gas) in Canada much cheaper than Switzerland.

Pension system...Canada has that covered with a much lower COL.

And as you said....Switzerland ...very expensive.

And like another poster mentioned ....Canada has everything Switzerland has and more, much more.

Canada is at another population level...37 million population verses Switzerland at 8.5 million

Size....Canada ...3.9 million square miles .....Switzerland ....only about 15,900 square miles.
You can fit about 250 Switzerland’s inside Canada.

Canada has a national park LARGER than Switzerland!
Wood Buffalo National Park is 17,200 square miles in size...over 1,000 square miles larger
than all of Switzerland.

Canada has more and much larger cities than Switzerland...
Including Toronto Golden Horseshoe with a population of about 9 million...
larger than the entire population of Switzerland.

Canada has natural resources that Switzerland can only dream of....oil, gas, gold, diamonds...etc...

All that being said ...Switzerland is an excellent country ...one of the few countries
I would live in other than Canada. I know it quite well, I went a Swiss boarding school
near the French border as a teenager and loved it.

Switzerland is great but I still choose Canada over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Surprised nobody mentioned skating the Rideau Canal and visiting the sights and culturally diverse eateries along it's length.

Surprised nobody mentioned the under-city of Montreal where you can literally go down direct from your hotel into the Metro and spend all day perusing shops coming up inside other buildings and malls without having to endure the slush and cold of the winter.

Quebec city needs no further endorsement as it's truly unique as well. Switzerland has beauty but not outstanding beauty of the variety found in Canada.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,936 times
Montreal's underground city! I'd forgotten all about it; I used to walk around there all the time when I worked downtown. It is unique.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM

196 posts, read 216,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Switzerland is there really a choice? One of the world's highest standards of living. Well located in the heart of Europe. Great skiing options. Multi lingual so great. Close to Italy and France and Germany. (not to unlike a drive to the shops, for some Canadians) Most democratic nation on earth with voting system. A pension system that ensures a pretty decent retirement. Top quality. But yes expensive. Very expensive. But petrol cheaper than Germany.
The big draw of Switzerland for me is also the proximity to a bunch of European countries just a short train ride away. Also weather will be nicer.

As for multilingualism, it's probably not what you think it is. The swiss typically do not speak most of their 4 official languages. They'd likely be fluent in 1 or 2 and then English. Not so different from say Montreal. I stopped briefly in Zurich a decade ago on the way to Italy. Went to the police station to ask for some information and was a bit surprised to learn that no one there spoke French. They had to get someone over who spoke English.

Ultimately, as an 1.5th generation asian immigrant (born in China, grew up here), Canada totally trumps Switzerland in terms of integrating into society. It's not just vs the Swiss, but vs most of Europe in that regard. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, maybe other Canadian cities will also sport a far more diverse array of international cuisine. In terms of day to day living, these two things beat Switzerland's location handily for me.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I enjoyed Switzerland, but would not personally want to live there. Canada takes this one quite easily. Now, if this were between New Zealand and Switzerland, I would need to take some time to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In that case for me, it would be Switzerland. Just being able to visit the rest of Europe, is all I need. Besides,a lot of New Zealand reminds me of BC. Kiwi's visiting BC have said as much to me.

If it was a toss up between Switzerland and New Zealand I would choose New Zealand for two reasons:

- one because it would remind me of BC

- and two because of the eye candy, namely the Māori men, who I consider to be absolutely the most beautiful and sexiest looking men on earth.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If it was a toss up between Switzerland and New Zealand I would choose New Zealand for two reasons:

- and two because of the eye candy, namely the Māori men, who I consider to be absolutely the most beautiful and sexiest looking men on earth.
Interesting

Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned skating the Rideau Canal and visiting the sights and culturally diverse eateries along it's length.

Surprised nobody mentioned the under-city of Montreal where you can literally go down direct from your hotel into the Metro and spend all day perusing shops coming up inside other buildings and malls without having to endure the slush and cold of the winter.

Quebec city needs no further endorsement as it's truly unique as well. Switzerland has beauty but not outstanding beauty of the variety found in Canada.
There is just so much more in Canada than Switzerland. No ocean coastline as well.

Does Switzerland have areas like this?

Old 03-16-2019, 02:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Pictures in my mind:

A Cariboo herd crossing a gravel bar just as we were landing in an old Cessna 150 to do some fly-in fishing in Labrador back in the 70's. Thousands of them pouring up and over that long gravel spit of higher land that looked like a tsunami of living breathing animals. It went on for minutes while we did an abort and circled overhead with not one of us having a camera along but thrilled speechless at the shear magnitude of the spectacle of so many of them all moving at once..

In the early 1960's, while hunting in the far north of B.C and perhaps even being in the Yukon, I had just scoped a majestic Mountain sheep through the scope of a brand new Remington 700. Probably a mature Thinhorn Dall sheep in all his glory on the other side of a small valley. The sun was coming over the rise behind me and lit him up like he was some kind of golden statue on display in a museum. I slung the rifle and hunkered down to watch him with binoculars until he meandered over the crest of a ridge.

Visiting Newfoundland during the time of the year when the Icebergs have done their circuit across the straight from Greenland and are now coming down the coast of Labrador and going by the Island. Huge behemoths like marching sentinels.

These are scenes of no real rarity within Canada as they are always there but we have to go to see them and sometimes set foot on an area of land that has never had a human foot trod on it before.

Vast tracts of unexplored wilderness still exist in Canada....middle of Europe...not so much. I'll take mother nature over the lure of city lights any old day of the week.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Pictures in my mind:

A Cariboo herd crossing a gravel bar just as we were landing in an old Cessna 150 to do some fly-in fishing in Labrador back in the 70's. Thousands of them pouring up and over that long gravel spit of higher land that looked like a tsunami of living breathing animals. It went on for minutes while we did an abort and circled overhead with not one of us having a camera along but thrilled speechless at the shear magnitude of the spectacle of so many of them all moving at once..

In the early 1960's, while hunting in the far north of B.C and perhaps even being in the Yukon, I had just scoped a majestic Mountain sheep through the scope of a brand new Remington 700. Probably a mature Thinhorn Dall sheep in all his glory on the other side of a small valley. The sun was coming over the rise behind me and lit him up like he was some kind of golden statue on display in a museum. I slung the rifle and hunkered down to watch him with binoculars until he meandered over the crest of a ridge.

Visiting Newfoundland during the time of the year when the Icebergs have done their circuit across the straight from Greenland and are now coming down the coast of Labrador and going by the Island. Huge behemoths like marching sentinels.

These are scenes of no real rarity within Canada as they are always there but we have to go to see them and sometimes set foot on an area of land that has never had a human foot trod on it before.

Vast tracts of unexplored wilderness still exist in Canada....middle of Europe...not so much. I'll take mother nature over the lure of city lights any old day of the week.
Indeed. While Europe has a lot os stunning scenery, it lacks that ‘unexplored frontier’ feeling one finds in Canada or the US. Russia would be the closest comparison, but that’s mostly due to Siberia and the Far East, which isn’t in Europe.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
My biggest issue with NZ is that it comes across as rather redundant, particularly to anyone coming from North America or Europe. Nevertheless, it remains a stunning country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In that case for me, it would be Switzerland. Just being able to visit the rest of Europe, is all I need. Besides,a lot of New Zealand reminds me of BC. Kiwi's visiting BC have said as much to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada