Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Canadians are just more reserved and ‘polite’ than most in public. When in a “safe” environment, I’ve heard Canadians express views and attitudes that can be pretty “hard edged”.

The intensity and depth of the Ango - Francophone divide in Canada usually surprises most Aussies.
That could be it. We Canadians sure like to ride the polite scooter whenever abroad. That being said, Canada seems willing to adopt progressive policies more rapidly than the other Anglo countries. I could be off though. It’s just personal observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Canadians are just more reserved and ‘polite’ than most in public. When in a “safe” environment, I’ve heard Canadians express views and attitudes that can be pretty “hard edged”.

The intensity and depth of the Ango - Francophone divide in Canada usually surprises most Aussies.
Yes, for example, it seems that there is something about Quebec that makes certain otherwise smart, well-intentioned, worldly Anglo-Canadians completely lose their marbles. And the reverse type of irrationality also exists in Quebec vis-à-vis the rest of the country.

Here is an example (somewhat close to real life experience).

Acajack is travelling through the Kalahari desert of Namibia.

He enters a village where he meets this thirtysomething Canadian guy from Listowel, Ontario who is helping the villagers build a well for much-needed drinking water. He learns that the guy has been working on international development projects for 10 years around the world, in the mountains of Bolivia, in Bangladesh, etc. He ended up here because he fell in love with a local lady and has been made a member of the tribe and speaks their language fluently, including its unique click sounds.

Everything goes well until he learns that Acajack is francophone and from Quebec, and then they start talking about Quebec, innocently enough at first, and eventually he turns into a raving lunatic on steroids.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen all the time, but every once in a while, geez. From eminent experts on classical music to environmental activists. No background is automatically immune.

And you can certainly find Québécois people who are all nice and worldly with you when sitting at a café in Buenos Aires, but talk to them about Anglo-Canada, and they go crazy. Jekyll and Hyde.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, for example, it seems that there is something about Quebec that makes certain otherwise smart, well-intentioned, worldly Anglo-Canadians completely lose their marbles. And the reverse type of irrationality also exists in Quebec vis-à-vis the rest of the country.

He enters a village where he meets this thirtysomething Canadian guy from Listowel, Ontario who is helping the villagers build a well for much-needed drinking water. He learns that the guy has been working on international development projects for 10 years around the world, in the mountains of Bolivia, in Bangladesh, etc. He ended up here because he fell in love with a local lady and has been made a member of the tribe and speaks their language fluently, including its unique click sounds.

Everything goes well until he learns that Acajack is francophone and from Quebec, and then they start talking about Quebec, innocently enough at first, and eventually he turns into a raving lunatic on steroids.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen all the time, but every once in a while, geez. From eminent experts on classical music to environmental activists. No background is automatically immune.

And you can certainly find Québécois people who are all nice and worldly with you when sitting at a café in Buenos Aires, but talk to them about Anglo-Canada, and they go crazy. Jekyll and Hyde.
So what you're saying is that Quebecois French needs more click click sounds. I'm on board!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

That guy was Mennonite, wasn't he? I think I might know him, hahaha.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
To the OP: Mikey's right, that this subject has been done to death on this forum. But Americans tend to group people together more by colour, it seems to me, because of the history. It's a given that wherever you find higher concentrations of another type (could be colour, could be religion) of people that racism towards that group will be higher than if you are the only black man (as an example) in a town. My experience has been that Canadians refer more to people by country of origin, such as Jamaicans, Haitians, etc rather than a giant group labelled "black."

Here in Manitoba, racism is directed primarily at the First Nations. They are the most visible and poorest element of our society. I have black nieces and nephews and I have asked my sister what they have experienced and she says that it's the natives that get the racism, and that the black kids mostly have a "cool" factor about them.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
I was born in the United States to a Canadian mother (which makes me a Canadian citizen, I recently discovered, but I digress). I grew up in the southeastern US in the 1960s, where there was open racism. My mother didn't have the racial baggage that most American southerners carried. That doesn't mean that Canadians didn't have their own prejudices, however. She explained it this way. "Canadians don't understand the issues that America has with race. But say 'French Canadian' to them, and watch the fun begin."

Old 03-26-2019, 12:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
So what you're saying is that Quebecois French needs more click click sounds. I'm on board!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That guy was Mennonite, wasn't he? I think I might know him, hahaha.

LOL, that's funny.

I just want to point out that the example that AJ gave isn't about racism though, it's about cultural prejudice. Racism is a form of bigotry but it is strictly about race and skin colour, it's not about culture, politics, ideals or language.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL, that's funny.

I just want to point out that the example that AJ gave isn't about racism though, it's about cultural prejudice. Racism is a form of bigotry but it is strictly about race and skin colour, it's not about culture, politics, ideals or language.

Taberclikclack!

Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Osti'd viarge, this topic is interesting en tabarnak.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I know what tabarnak means. Was I being pedantic again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada