Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:08 AM

587 posts, read 423,079 times

Advertisements

Are regular people (not law enforcement) in Canada allowed to carry tasers, mace and pepper spray for self-defense in Canada?

I guess it is different from the US?

https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstor...-laws-by-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Basically, all of that stuff is restricted in Canada.

Just about the only stuff you can buy legally in bear spray that you find in hunting and outdoors shops. But you could get in trouble if you use it on a human.

Although, just because stuff is restricted doesn't mean it's hard to find. Mace and pepper spray in particular are very easy to find in Canada. Tasers probably are as well.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Basically, all of that stuff is restricted in Canada.

Just about the only stuff you can buy legally in bear spray that you find in hunting and outdoors shops. But you could get in trouble if you use it on a human.

Although, just because stuff is restricted doesn't mean it's hard to find. Mace and pepper spray in particular are very easy to find in Canada. Tasers probably are as well.
I have yet to hear of a civilian using a taser as a weapon or as defence in Canada. You would think if they are easily available that means there is a demand for them. I just don't see that.

Willing to be shown links if you have them.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I have yet to hear of a civilian using a taser as a weapon or as defence in Canada. You would think if they are easily available that means there is a demand for them. I just don't see that.

Willing to be shown links if you have them.
You don't think there are tasers available on the black market in Canada? I am positive that if I knew the right people to call I could be set up with one by this evening.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Are regular people (not law enforcement) in Canada allowed to carry tasers, mace and pepper spray for self-defense in Canada?

I guess it is different from the US?

https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstor...-laws-by-state

Absolutely NO to tasers in all instances, but hunters/hikers/campers can purchase pepper spray for defense against bears/cougars/wolves and other big aggressive wild animals to take with them when they go out into the wilderness. In the wilderness is the only place where civilians can carry pepper spray, they cannot carry it when they're in towns / inhabited areas of civilization.

The one exception I know of to carrying pepper spray in civilization is Canadian Postal Workers who may need it on the job as defense against attacking dogs. They can only carry approved proper lower grade/strength of pepper spray that is provided for them by their employer, Canada Post and/or their Postal Worker's Union. Letter carriers can not carry non-approved pepper spray that they have purchased themselves elsewhere. Letter carriers are also allowed to carry a device called a Dog Dazer, which emits a high-frequency sound that keeps canines away.

Back to tasers - as has been pointed out, and as lots of police raids have shown, if someone wants to resort to acquiring restricted weapons, tasers included, from the black market then that is easily done. But then that person has committed a pre-meditated criminal act theirself by doing so and will be charged and treated as a criminal harbouring criminal intent if they are caught carrying or using such weapons.

I don't know of any incidents that have happened in Canada where civilians have used black market tasers for self defense or for attacking anyone. It would be kind of pointless and a waste of money anyway when, if somebody is going to commit a criminal act with a restricted weapon, there are so many other more efficient restricted weapons that could be used more effectively to incapacitate another person.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You don't think there are tasers available on the black market in Canada? I am positive that if I knew the right people to call I could be set up with one by this evening.
I am only looking for proof.

IMO if they are " easy to find " as you stated, I would think there would be some evidence of civilians using them against people, like pepper spray and illegally gotten guns.

I tried Googling to find any story in Canada about that, but have come up empty, however the burden of proof isn't on me.

Maybe Chevy will know?

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-22-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 AM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe Chevy will know?
Well, I know a guy who knows a guy.

Seriously, that's how such black-market things get around. Given my professional experience, I'm pretty sure I could pick up the phone tomorrow, and make a call to a certain guy, and the callee would say, "I'll get back to you," and in less than a week, I'd get a call from another guy saying, "Yeah, I can get you ABC, but it's gonna cost you $XYZ." But I'll make no such call. I don't need to, and doing so would severely compromise my professional ethics. And I'd put my law license at risk.

The fact remains, though, that such things can and do happen. You can get pretty much anything you want, if you know who to call, and you fly under the radar. You don't take out an ad on Kijiji looking to buy tasers, OC spray, or guns; you ask around quietly, and eventually, you will meet a guy who knows another guy, and so on.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 05-23-2019 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM

While any prohibited weaponry can get you in trouble, I would surmise that the greater the firepower/heavier the artillery that is being sought on the black market, the more likely you are to raise eyebrows and red flags, and therefore the likelihood you will get caught.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, I know a guy who knows a guy.

Seriously, that's how such black-market things get around. Given my professional experience, I'm pretty sure I could pick up the phone tomorrow, and make a call to a certain guy, and the callee would say, "I'll get back to you," and in less than a week, I'd get a call from another guy saying, "Yeah, I can get you ABC, but it's gonna cost you $XYZ." But I'll make no such call. I don't need to, and doing so would severely compromise my professional ethics. And I'd put my law license at risk.

The fact remains, though, that such things can and do happen. You can get pretty much anything you want, if you know who to call, and you fly under the radar. You don't take out an ad on Kijiji looking to buy tasers, OC spray, or guns; you ask around quietly, and eventually, you will meet a guy who knows another guy, and so on.
LOL

I think I phrased my question incorrectly.

What I meant, was do you know of any cases, where a civilian has used a taser?

EDIT: In Canada

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-23-2019 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Unfortunately, human depravity knows no limits.

If you can think of it, someone's certainly done it to someone somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada