Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 AM

438 posts, read 376,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Yes. Both times I visited Canada. It was never searched coming or going. And I've flown, taken a Greyhound, and an Amtrak. Guess I got lucky...
I'm not sure what Zoisite is talking about, people who enjoy hockey routinely will bring their equipment year round. Hockey absolutely is a year round sport for some and most of the Northern US border states/towns have deep hockey cultures of their own and see visitors from both sides taking all kinds of equipment back and forth with absolutely no problem .

And a quick search of rinks in Halifax show several that have summer open skate options.

Emera Oval Facility for an outside rink, Spryfield Lions Rink, and Centennial Arena are all open year round and would be perfect for a pick up game. Don't pay much attention to folks saying otherwise, you'll be fine and have plenty of options to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 03:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
One of the main concern border guards are looking for are people who plan to stay in the country illegally, the op presents the scenario of young man coming to Canada mid summer with all his hockey gear no defined itinerary and no return ticket. your intentions will be interrogated thoroughly.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I can't presume what will happen at the border but it's probably not that big a red flag in and of itself to have an American dude show up with hockey equipment wanting to get a couple of games in (something he might not be able to do back home in the summer) during his trip to Canada.

If the border agent happens to be a hockey fan they might even talk hockey and if the American dude knows his stuff this might get him waved through without much of a second look.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Ever watch the show Canadas Border Security?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ever watch the show Canadas Border Security?

LOL. Yes! I've watched several episodes for all three countries in the Border Security series - for Canada, America and Australia. I'm not enthusiastic about reality shows but that particular series is different, seems very authentic and not rehearsed and I enjoy watching them from time to time. Really interesting and educational and honestly I think the series for Canada is the most interesting of the three series because of the much greater diversity of international travelers from all over the world entering the country.

Seems like all those customs inspectors in all three countries know all the tricks, seen it all, and they're all sharp as tacks, they sure don't miss much. I wonder if they all get sent to Border Security School as part of their training? It's quite stunning the blatant lies and other things some international travelers think they can do or get away with if they pretend ignorance, when it's obvious they aren't ignorant at all.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can't presume what will happen at the border but it's probably not that big a red flag in and of itself to have an American dude show up with hockey equipment ....
Hockey equipment should not raise a red flag. This is Canada, we love hockey. there are summer hockey camps for all ages and talents, many hosted or sponsored by NHL stars, and so on. The CBSA probably expects hockey equipment at any time of the year.

Heck, the CBSA probably expects winter gear from Americans at any time of the year. When I was in high school, I had a part-time job in a Toronto parking lot. I well remember the American cars in summer, arriving at our lot in downtown Toronto, with people armed with parkas and other cold-weather gear (and sweating buckets in the humid and hot Toronto summer weather), asking, "Where the hell's the snow and cold? This is Canada; it's supposed to be cold!" Yet they were allowed entry into Canada, despite the winter gear that they had in their car.

Just for the record: Toronto in July and August is hot and sticky and muggy and uncomfortable without air conditioning.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM

314 posts, read 546,832 times
I wasn't asked to show return ticket

Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I wasn't asked to show return ticket
Great, but even if they did ask, your answer would not be unusual, and it would be an honest one as well. They can usually tell by if they think something isn't right.

Hope you had/have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada