Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 AM

143 posts, read 133,366 times

Advertisements

Regarding separatist sentiment in Alberta, I'll say the same as always:

Get back to me when the province has an openly separatist political party that regularly gets majorities in the Edmonton Ledge, or the balance of power whenever it fails to do that, and then I'll start to consider AB separatism a credible movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:26 AM

71 posts, read 48,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Regarding separatist sentiment in Alberta, I'll say the same as always:

Get back to me when the province has an openly separatist political party that regularly gets majorities in the Edmonton Ledge, or the balance of power whenever it fails to do that, and then I'll start to consider AB separatism a credible movement.
So true.

Alberta separatism is tiny and not to be taken seriously.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:27 AM

BruSan, I'm noting that you've mentioned Jason Kenney a few times... could you elaborate on what sort of "threat" you consider him? I can assure you he's 0.00% on our radar here in Quebec. Albertans elect whoever they want, and that's the way it should be. Not our business at all! (And most importantly: we expect the same in return!!!)

The MB Premier powerlessly yapping about Bill 21 was hilarious and also a perfect example of what I don't like to see in this federation :P

Old 08-06-2019, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 11,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm going to object here to both of you bickerers.

Neither one of you is correct about Puerto Rico (or Hawaii for that matter) and I think it's not fair to refer to those places as leeches or drag them down into Beauchamp's dirt. Puerto Rico and Hawaii both basically got annexed, screwed, ripped off and run over, they didn't sign on for what they got - especially PR which not only got screwed, it got royally screwed, blued and tattooed, run over and then trampled over rough shod for good measure. Both of those island nations have had plenty of room for legitimate complaints. There is no comparison between them/USA and Quebec/Canada. Quebec is doing just fine with no room for complaint and we all know it, even the malcontents like BP know it.

I don't see any point in responding and spoon-feeding delusional, disruptive malcontents who pretend to be Quebecois and pretend to refuse to recognize a good thing Quebec has got when they see it and have nothing better to do with their time than to snivel then gloat then snivel and whine some more on internet forums about the relationship between Canada and Quebec. It's really stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms & Sand View Post
You said you arent going to drag us through the dirt. And then you proceed to do just that.

How exactly did we get a raw deal? Englighten us.

Zoisite, perhaps you missed this, can you tell me how we got a raw deal in Hawaii?

Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Zoisite, perhaps you missed this, can you tell me how we got a raw deal in Hawaii?
The sand is a ***** to get out from in between your toes when you're wearing flip flops?

Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
BruSan, I'm noting that you've mentioned Jason Kenney a few times... could you elaborate on what sort of "threat" you consider him? I can assure you he's 0.00% on our radar here in Quebec. Albertans elect whoever they want, and that's the way it should be. Not our business at all! (And most importantly: we expect the same in return!!!)

The MB Premier powerlessly yapping about Bill 21 was hilarious and also a perfect example of what I don't like to see in this federation :P
Well, since I got the same type of anonymous rep as Zoisite quoting Rene Levesque suggesting something like he who hesitates to take the big risk …… If that poster would simply recall …… he failed.

I am mentioning Jason Kenny because for the first time in my experience I'm seeing a politician deliberately pointing a finger towards the sitting PM and suggesting it's his pandering to Quebec that has been the cause of their frustration.

It may have happened in past history but I have not experienced someone doing that while entering a competition for leadership of a major party coincidental to an upcoming general election. He will be featured prominently in the media and that is a danger by a factor of ten. He's going to resort to the worst kind of political brinksmanship we've just seen play out very vividly recently..

Of course Kenny's not on Quebec's radar. Why would anyone be surprised at that? Very little of what goes on in the political sphere outside of the VERY insular Quebec ever appears on the general population radar of your typical Quebecois. They're too busy vilifying the ROC and blaming all their perceived ills upon it as they've been indoctrinated to do for generations.

You don't like to see bill 21 being mentioned or "yapped about"? Were you even alive with the rise and subsequent terrorist events of the FLQ ? Were you around when we were subjected to a constant barrage of vilification by Rene? How about when Parizeau blamed his abject failure upon those inconvenient immigrants? The Front for the Liberation of Quebec, Party Quebecois, Option Nationale, Quebec Soldaire, Soverignity Association, all precepted on finding fault with English Canada and making their grievance heard ad-nauseum. It's all so danged repetitively tiresome.

I often think about what this country would be like today had the French prevailed in 1759.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I often think about what this country would be like today had the French prevailed in 1759.
IMO, it would have been sold to the U.S. during the Napoleonic wars to raise money, so, it might look nowadays like the border areas of Northern VT and NH, where half the people have a Québécois family name but act like normal Americans.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
How about when Parizeau blamed his abject failure upon those inconvenient immigrants?
He wasn't wrong - had we integrated them better (and/or limited them to "manageable"/"realistically integratable" yearly volumes), the '95 referendum would have been won pretty easily. There's zero difference between a fully integrated Québécois of immigrant ancestry and a fully integrated Québécois of "old stock", so we can safely assume that their voting patterns would have been identical.

My cousin's husband is a perfect example - in his 30s, born and bred in Quebec. He happens to be of Haitian descent so he's very dark-skinned but his one and only home (and the only place he's ever known as home) is here. It's pretty obvious that he'll generally have the same tastes, habits, voting patters as anyone else, and that any difference is explained by factors other than ancestry.

If you want to try to guess who he votes for, look at his socioeconomic profile (and maybe factors such as his age, location, etc.), not at the color of his skin, which wouldn't tell you anything at all.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

I didn't miss it but I'm not obligated to answer your question. This thread is a discussion about Quebec in Canada and this is the Canada forum. I'm not interested in further non-related discussions about Hawaii or any other parts of USA here. If you want to know about Hawaii's history and the areas in which it got short-changed then I'd suggest you go research it's history and then maybe post a topic about it in the Hawaii forum. I'll watch for your posts there.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
He wasn't wrong - had we integrated them better (and/or limited them to "manageable"/"realistically integratable" yearly volumes), the '95 referendum would have been won pretty easily. There's zero difference between a fully integrated Québécois of immigrant ancestry and a fully integrated Québécois of "old stock", so we can safely assume that their voting patterns would have been identical.

My cousin's husband is a perfect example - in his 30s, born and bred in Quebec. He happens to be of Haitian descent so he's very dark-skinned but his one and only home (and the only place he's ever known as home) is here. It's pretty obvious that he'll generally have the same tastes, habits, voting patters as anyone else, and that any difference is explained by factors other than ancestry.

If you want to try to guess who he votes for, look at his socioeconomic profile (and maybe factors such as his age, location, etc.), not at the color of his skin, which wouldn't tell you anything at all.
I'm not finding anything to refute in your last couple of posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada