Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Aren't you speaking through multiple orifices though? If as you say, QC is leeching off of the Canadian union, than actively trying to separate from it wouldn't be destroying it by your estimation would it? Wouldn't it be more like periodic attempts at saving it? On the other hand, if you are contending they are destroying the country by their periodic pursuits of separation, than it would be logical for a reader to conclude that since they have such power to destroy by separating, that you actually value their inclusion beyond dollars and cents as they are a fundamental piece of the union in order to avert destruction.
"Multiple orifices"

Made me laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I really need to spell out examples in Canada where there are political and social differences in the various regions of our country? Is that really required UL? When I refer to political, i'm more referring to political values of the people more than structural political differences. Those political and social values in different parts of the country really can drive differences in Provincial and Territorial laws.
It is nonetheless interesting that Luis does not see this, as he has lived in several regions of Canada.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get your point but keep in mind Quebec and even French Canada has roughly analogous differences within it too. Montreal is not the same as Gaspé is not the same as Abitibi is not the same as Lac St Jean is not the same as Outaouais, etc.

Not to mention Acadians, Franco-Ontarians, etc. To some degree even Cajuns and Franco-Americans of the NE US are kind of peripherally part of the equation.

Lots of differences within this huge human space but certainly within Quebec and even beyond its borders no one would deny a certain commonality unlike some of the talk we sometimes hear from Anglo-Canada where Alberta vs Saskatchewan is sometimes equated with Japan vs the Congo...
I'll keep it in mind and appreciate the information you present, as always but never thought the contrary

Quote:
It is nonetheless interesting that Luis does not see this, as he has lived in several regions of Canada.
Yeah I just didn't find the need to go into something that most of us in Canada already know. I think I made my 'keep it in mind' point anyway, which is all I was trying to do really.

Quote:
"Multiple orifices"

Made me laugh!
Good - I just thought he was being dissonant.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:

Equalization in Canada was brought in in 1957 .
And Quebec has been mooching off the system eversince eh.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And Quebec has been mooching off the system eversince eh.
A lot of Provinces have done the same though Jambo. Seriously - you live in QC do you really think the majority have PB's outlook on things or something more akin to how AJ sees things. I find it hard to believe there is a grand conspiracy in QC to mooch off the country for eternity. It is well established, that there are other provinces who, on a per cap basis mooch off equalization more. They are just quiet. They have no PB's on C/D expressing it and stirring the pot but it doesn't mean that in reality, they aren't getting more per head from Alberta, Ontario and B.C than QC does because they are.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-09-2019 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I'll keep it in mind and appreciate the information you present, as always but never thought the contrary

Yeah I just didn't find the need to go into something that most of us in Canada already know. I think I made my 'keep it in mind' point anyway, which is all I was trying to do really.

It's still funny to me how when Quebec's level of distinctiveness is discussed (and yes it's true that some Québécois do exaggerate things), how some people will invariably jump in and talk about how going to Vancouver for a Haligonian is akin to being dropped into a small village in central India.

I think it's patently obvious that Quebec is considerably more different from the rest of the country than most of the other provinces are from each other, with the possible exception of Newfoundland.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times
Quote:
I didn't say I don't see it. I do see it but in my opinion people tend to exaggerate these things. Sure there are difference from region to region but I find there is also a strong idiosyncrasy that people over look or don't want to see for what ever reason.

Quote:
It's still funny to me how when Quebec's level of distinctiveness is discussed (and yes it's true that some Québécois do exaggerate things), how some people will invariably jump in and talk about how going to Vancouver for a Haligonian is akin to being dropped into a small village in central India.
This is more or less what I am trying to get at.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I didn't say I don't see it. I do see it but in my opinion people tend to exaggerate these things. Sure there are difference from region to region but I find there is also a strong idiosyncrasy that people over look or don't want to see for what ever reason.

This is more or less what I am trying to get at.
There is a "hey, we're unique/special too!" aspect to all of this.

(Though as I often say, Quebec's différence does not entail solely positive traits.)

Old 08-09-2019, 09:41 AM

71 posts, read 48,055 times
Quote:
A lot of Provinces have done the same though Jambo. Seriously - you live in QC do you really think the majority have PB's outlook on things or something more akin to how AJ sees things. I find it hard to believe there is a grand conspiracy in QC to mooch off the country for eternity. It is well established, that there are other provinces who, on a per cap basis mooch off equalization more. They are just quiet. They have no PB's on C/D expressing it and stirring the pot but it doesn't mean that in reality, they aren't getting more per head from Alberta, Ontario and B.C than QC does because they are.
Exactly, Quebec isn't mooching off the system compared to other provinces.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Difference is those other provinces are proudly Canadian, Quebec takes the money and villifies Canada and the predominantly Anglo culture that lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada