Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 03:57 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Difference is those other provinces are proudly Canadian, Quebec takes the money and villifies Canada and the predominantly Anglo culture that lives there.
How does Quebec villify Canada? Serious question, Jambo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 04:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How does Quebec villify Canada? Serious question, Jambo.
For most Quebeckers Canada is viewed with disdain,some remnant of a bygone repressive era from the British. So PB are you now going to tell us you are a proud Canadian?Let us know what you think of the ROC

Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's still funny to me how when Quebec's level of distinctiveness is discussed (and yes it's true that some Québécois do exaggerate things), how some people will invariably jump in and talk about how going to Vancouver for a Haligonian is akin to being dropped into a small village in central India.

I think it's patently obvious that Quebec is considerably more different from the rest of the country than most of the other provinces are from each other, with the possible exception of Newfoundland.
I don't think it is 'considerably' more different actually. Different yes but considerably - nah if so QC would have already separated. I already said in a previous post quite clearly, that I did recognize regions outside QC are 'more' similar to one another while recognizing they are not 'totally' similar. The latter was the only point I was really trying to make. I wasn't trying to pinch nerves. Stop with the Quebec is soooo much different from y'all chest thumping brah.

Speaking of exaggeration A/J - who the heck in here would say going to Vancouver for a Haligonian is akin to being dropped in a small villiage in central India. Yes - y'all exaggerate because NOBODY in here said that lol - nobody of the core C/D Canadian posters ever would - stop being a drama queen lol.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-09-2019 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Difference is those other provinces are proudly Canadian, Quebec takes the money and villifies Canada and the predominantly Anglo culture that lives there.
Ok but is it a prerequisite for QC to be proudly Canadian to be in Canada? You can't force them to be proud of something. That just comes naturally or it does not. Some Provinces and their inhabitants may be rah rah wave the flag we love Canada, but at the end of the day, per head they are taking more from my wallet than Quebecers.

I suppose in order to keep the borders of our country intact, we'll have to deal with the lack of a cohesive national Canadian identity or pride. They have chosen a path that is different from others, but not too different - they are still here! What a lovely lot. Like an old couple constantly ribbing and nagging the other yet they have been together for a billion years and never leave the other. My mom and dad remind me of this situation really.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-09-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 05:23 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think it is 'considerably' more different actually. Different yes but considerably - nah if so QC would have already separated. I already said in a previous post quite clearly, that I did recognize regions outside QC are 'more' similar to one another while recognizing they are not 'totally' similar. The latter was the only point I was really trying to make. I wasn't trying to pinch nerves. Stop with the Quebec is soooo much different from y'all chest thumping brah.

Speaking of exaggeration A/J - who the heck in here would say going to Vancouver for a Haligonian is akin to being dropped in a small villiage in central India. Yes - y'all exaggerate because NOBODY in here said that lol - nobody of the core C/D Canadian posters ever would - stop being a drama queen lol.
I would say that for the average person going from Ontario to Québec feels like going to a somewhat foreign country. I am primarily talking about foreigners here but it is also true of more Canadians than we like to admit. I am not talking Japan-Congo foreign but maybe Germany-France foreign or Brazil-Argentina foreign.

Travelling in most of Anglo-Canada the differences are more on the scale of Maryland-Missouri. Maybe England-Scotland in the case of Newfoundland.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Ok but is it a prerequisite for QC to be proudly Canadian to be in Canada? You can't force them to be proud of something. That just comes naturally or it does not. Some Provinces and their inhabitants may be rah rah wave the flag we love Canada, but at the end of the day, per head they are taking more from my wallet than Quebecers.

I suppose in order to keep the borders of our country intact, we'll have to deal with the lack of a cohesive national Canadian identity or pride. They have chosen a path that is different from others, but not too different - they are still here! What a lovely lot. Like an old couple constantly ribbing and nagging the other yet they have been together for a billion years and never leave the other. My mom and dad remind me of this situation really.
Posts like these are why I missed you.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Posts like these are why I missed you.
Oh damn! I thought it was all my posts proving that Toronto is the greatest city in Canada

Old 08-10-2019, 09:06 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quebec is considerably different. For example Quebecs judicial system is based on French civil law. Quebec has a seperate taxation system. Quebecs public education system is different. The fact it is majority French speaking alone makes it very distinct. It really is a nation within a nation.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Oh damn! I thought it was all my posts proving that Toronto is the greatest city in Canada
You're a package deal for me fusion!

Old 08-10-2019, 09:51 AM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:

It's would be almost impossible to deal with it, as Trudeau proudly has stated that Canada has no identity, and that it is a post national state.

In other words, Canada is not really a nation but just a government. Nations are characterized by some kind of distinct culture or identity. There was never a drive to create some sort of Canadian nation, the entire point of Canada was to be the opposite of that and remain a British colony.

Actual nations like Quebec, the U.S., and others are characterized in Canada as being racist, in your face nationalistic, aggressive, etc for having developed a culture and/or identity.

Nations just sort of happen. They aren't created because a government reigns over a particular territory. There has to be some sort of common identity, which doesn't exist in Canada. Look at English vs. French, just for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada