Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I never order cheeseburgers from McDonalds or Burger King anywhere in the world for the very reason that they use very low quality processed cheese. It ought to be called "wartime cheese" or "prison cheese" instead.
Heres a write up on what they actually use =
https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-c...s-cheeseburger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:53 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres a write up on what they actually use =
https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-c...s-cheeseburger
Slightly different in Canada though.

https://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/a...r-cheese-made/

Old 10-05-2019, 01:53 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
At Subway in Canada real cheddar is substituted for American cheese.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:14 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At Subway in Canada real cheddar is substituted for American cheese.
Good to know. Where I live, there are Subways, but I never went to one because it's considered shameful to go to a chain instead of a real deli for a sandwich. Of course, SOMEBODY goes to those Subways, but I never did because it's seen as being on the same level as going to Domino's or Pizza Hut. Its just uncool to do that in New Jersey. Have to keep up the image, ya know.

But where I go in Canada, there's a Subway and no other choice for similar sandwiches, plus I've only ever seen a Jersey plate in town one time, so no one will see me or know where I'm from anyway. Unless I tawk.

I've gone to Subway up there a few times now, and it's not bad! Good to know about the cheese.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good to know. Where I live, there are Subways, but I never went to one because it's considered shameful to go to a chain instead of a real deli for a sandwich. Of course, SOMEBODY goes to those Subways, but I never did because it's seen as being on the same level as going to Domino's or Pizza Hut. Its just uncool to do that in New Jersey. Have to keep up the image, ya know.

But where I go in Canada, there's a Subway and no other choice for similar sandwiches, plus I've only ever seen a Jersey plate in town one time, so no one will see me or know where I'm from anyway. Unless I tawk.
Do you look around to make sue the coast is clear before walking in?....Sounds like me when I moved to MTl and started visiting strip clubs.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Is it legal to sell raw milk in Canada?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is it legal to sell raw milk in Canada?
Long story.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:42 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Americans will tell you that " American Cheese " is not the same as Kraft Singles, even though it's still a processed cheese.

This US blogger who moved to Ottawa, seems to have an emotional relationship with " American Cheese" so it probably taints their view on how good it is, and it's rather a long piece just to describe what the heck
" American Cheese " is, but still informative.

"Well, no wonder the rest of the world snubs their noses at American cheese! They think American cheese is Kraft singles! If that was true I would completely agree that it is garbage, but it is all a terrible misunderstanding. I want to try to set things straight."

American Cheese (Clearing Up a Global Misunderstanding) | The Cooking Geek
You guys are getting this all wrong. When we go to a real restaurant, we get great quality cheddar cheese served to us. When we go to fast food restaurants, they put so much garbage on the product you can't really tell what sort of cheese is in there. Processed cheese goes fine on such sandwiches, and helps to keep the cost low. We do not consider going to Subway or McDonalds fine dining. It is for low cost convenience. Why pay for cheddar or Swiss when you can't taste it anyway?

Old 10-09-2019, 10:52 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I've noticed a U.S brand of milk at my local grocers called Fairlife. I didn't pick any up because it was actually more expensive per litre than Natrel, Nielsen and other Canadian brands. On a recent trip to the U.S I had some Chocolate Milk from their Walmart brand GV. It was very cheap but tasted a little 'off' - I compared the ingredients to Sealtest (Canadian Chocolate Milk), and only difference was the use of Cornstarch in the GV - Great Value brand which I accounted for the weird taste and texture. Fairlife and the GV brand do not use growth hormones/rBST according to their websites.

So what do you think of U.S Milk. If it were cheaper, would you buy it or even if it were priced the same would you? If we can already buy a U.S brand now in Canada, I am assuming once the new Nafta kicks in - assuming it does that there will be even more U.S brands to choose from. Doesn't have to be limited to Milk and feel free to discuss other food products.
I grew up in the dairy business. The only real difference in chocolate milk is in the quality of chocolate that is put into it. Generally speaking, the off brands, and definitely anything with a Walmart label, would use lower quality chocolates and anything else they can get away with including. Buy a quality brand name, and it will include top quality ingredients. You might also want to look at butterfat content. In the dairy business, butterfat is the expensive part of the product. It is used for all sorts of products, cottage cheese, buttermilk, butter, ice cream of various qualities, etc. The higher the butterfat content, generally the better the quality although those who wish to lose weight will opt for lower butterfat for that reason.

There is likely no difference between a cow in Wisconsin and one in Ontario. They would even be located at approximately the same latitude. Both would be freezing their arses off 7 months per year.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Long story.
Well if you got the time Mouldy here is some of that story =
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rticle1213881/
Bottom line?=
Quote:
Raw milk cannot legally be sold in Canada, except into government-authorized "supply management" cartels, where it goes to be pasteurized. Only those who happen to own their own cow can legally consume raw milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada