Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 06:50 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

This has been the focus of a decade-long cat and mouse game between Quebec (and especially its cheese producers) and the feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You guys are getting this all wrong. When we go to a real restaurant, we get great quality cheddar cheese served to us.

I'd call a YMMV on this one.

I guess it depends on your definition of a real restaurant, but I've eaten at lots of places in the U.S. with table service that weren't diner or greasy spoon type places, and it's pretty common for burgers, sandwiches, etc. to have "American cheese" on them. For items that are maybe priced between 12 and 17 bucks before tax and tip.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:59 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Well if you got the time Mouldy here is some of that story =
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rticle1213881/
Bottom line?=
I remember buying some Canadian raw milk cheddar from a local supermarket some years ago. I don’t recall getting sick from eating it.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I remember buying some Canadian raw milk cheddar from a local supermarket some years ago. I don’t recall getting sick from eating it.
You have certainly lived to talk about it!

Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
You guys are getting this all wrong. When we go to a real restaurant, we get great quality cheddar cheese served to us. When we go to fast food restaurants, they put so much garbage on the product you can't really tell what sort of cheese is in there. Processed cheese goes fine on such sandwiches, and helps to keep the cost low. We do not consider going to Subway or McDonalds fine dining. It is for low cost convenience. Why pay for cheddar or Swiss when you can't taste it anyway?
Where did I mention not getting real cheese in a good restaurant, but I agree with Acajack. In Canada you are more likely to find real cheddar in some of the same level of restaurants in the US, where you get a processed type cheese.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-10-2019 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
I grew up in the dairy business. The only real difference in chocolate milk is in the quality of chocolate that is put into it. Generally speaking, the off brands, and definitely anything with a Walmart label, would use lower quality chocolates and anything else they can get away with including. Buy a quality brand name, and it will include top quality ingredients. You might also want to look at butterfat content. In the dairy business, butterfat is the expensive part of the product. It is used for all sorts of products, cottage cheese, buttermilk, butter, ice cream of various qualities, etc. The higher the butterfat content, generally the better the quality although those who wish to lose weight will opt for lower butterfat for that reason.

There is likely no difference between a cow in Wisconsin and one in Ontario. They would even be located at approximately the same latitude. Both would be freezing their arses off 7 months per year.
No difference except possibly the US cow given BGH. However even if it's not, the difference is in how the milk is processed. Fusion2 was talking about Fairlife which is filtered, processed milk.

Also in regards to chocolate, Canada and the US have different standards as to what can be called chocolate. Something that can be called chocolate in the US, may have to be labelled chocolate flavour in Canada, or something like that, I'd have to double check.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You have certainly lived to talk about it!
The most common Canadian cheese I’ve seen here is chevre.
Black Diamond cheddar is also available.
Can you get extra-aged Canadian cheese?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Where did I mention not getting real cheese in a good restaurant, but I agree with Acajack. In Canada you are more likely to find real cheddar in some of the same level of restaurants in the US, where you get a processed type cheese.
We are likely to get the semi processed cheese in places where we don't believe it matters much such as fast food. Also, that type of cheese is very mild, and many want to use it for that purpose because it does not have an overwhelming flavor.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No difference except possibly the US cow given BGH. However even if it's not, the difference is in how the milk is processed. Fusion2 was talking about Fairlife which is filtered, processed milk.

Also in regards to chocolate, Canada and the US have different standards as to what can be called chocolate. Something that can be called chocolate in the US, may have to be labelled chocolate flavour in Canada, or something like that, I'd have to double check.
Agriculture is a science in USA. There are more than 100 in depth research institutions here that do billions of dollars in research in not only food, but all sorts of things. From the farmer's perspective, getting maximum production increases profits, but the FDA closely monitors product attributes to insure that what is produced is not dangerous for humans. Bovine growth hormone levels are not significantly higher in milk from rBGH-treated cows. On top of this, BGH is not active in humans, so even if it were absorbed from drinking milk, it wouldn't be expected to cause health effects in human beings.

As far as chocolates, the only difference is in custom. Canadians tend to use more dark cocoa in their chocolates, while Americans generally prefer "milk chocolate" which is lighter and sometimes has sugar additives to make it sweeter. Since chocolate is one of the very few ingredients that can not be internally produced in USA, the basic ingredient is always foreign produced.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The most common Canadian cheese I’ve seen here is chevre.
Black Diamond cheddar is also available.
Can you get extra-aged Canadian cheese?
Of course, you can get just about any kind of cheese you can imagine. I've had some truly awesome cheeses from Vancouver Island and from Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada