Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a U.S brand of milk at my local grocers called Fairlife. I didn't pick any up because it was actually more expensive per litre than Natrel, Nielsen and other Canadian brands. On a recent trip to the U.S I had some Chocolate Milk from their Walmart brand GV. It was very cheap but tasted a little 'off' - I compared the ingredients to Sealtest (Canadian Chocolate Milk), and only difference was the use of Cornstarch in the GV - Great Value brand which I accounted for the weird taste and texture. Fairlife and the GV brand do not use growth hormones/rBST according to their websites.

So what do you think of U.S Milk. If it were cheaper, would you buy it or even if it were priced the same would you? If we can already buy a U.S brand now in Canada, I am assuming once the new Nafta kicks in - assuming it does that there will be even more U.S brands to choose from. Doesn't have to be limited to Milk and feel free to discuss other food products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 03:09 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I happily drink American milk while in the US but for my everyday life in Canada I will stick with Canadian milk thank you very much.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I'll drink milk if I'm visiting the states, but at home I will only buy locally produced dairy products. One reason is because I really like the local flavours better, they are after all what I've grown up with and am accustomed to. I most enjoy and prefer to eat our locally produced foods of all kinds if I have the option. Another important factor for me is that if I'm going to be supporting anyone's economy I want my own local communities' economies to come first in my support.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
The only dairy product I buy when visiting the US are those labelled BGH free, otherwise you are ingesting hormones that are banned in Canada and the EU.

They are usually more expensive.

Every Canadian should read this.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...h-hormone.html

When I shop I only buy non-Canadian products IF a local one isn't available, like bamboo shoots etc. I won't buy Australian beef which seems to be around lately, since there is plenty of excellent BC beef that didn't have to travel half way around the world.

Another food additive that is used in the US to avoid is Potassium Bromate in bread. Ever had some US bread and think WTF? It's texture is weird.

"It is not allowed for use or is banned as a food additive in a number of countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Brazil and the European Union."

https://livingmaxwell.com/potassium-...d-health-risks

Don't get me started on SOME chicken in the US....

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-11-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 PM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Fairlife is premium milk for super-premium price. Not comparable to generic Walmart milk, which probably tastes better.
Fairlife is a lactose-free “super milk” that contains 50% more protein, 30% more calcium, and 50% less sugar than regular milk.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...etter-for-you/

I don't care for filtered and pasteurized milk. I want unprocessed, whole, delicious, easy-to-digest, full-fat raw milk from happy cows that live outside and eat grass.
I think we're better off trusting nature over Coca-Cola.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Fairlife is premium milk for super-premium price. Not comparable to generic Walmart milk, which probably tastes better.
Fairlife is a lactose-free “super milk” that contains 50% more protein, 30% more calcium, and 50% less sugar than regular milk.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...etter-for-you/

I don't care for filtered and pasteurized milk. I want unprocessed, whole, delicious, easy-to-digest, full-fat raw milk from happy cows that live outside and eat grass.
Cool thanks for that. I didn't even realize it was American until I picked up this new Milk Brand i'd never seen before. Definitely not cheap. I think it was like 4.50 Cad for like less than 2 litres. If this new Nafta ever goes through it'll be interesting if we get more U.S brands up here and how much they'll cost.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Another food additive that is used in the US to avoid is Potassium Bromate in bread. Ever had some US bread and think WTF? It's texture is weird.
Uggh - doesn't sound like something you'd want to eat in your bread! The texture of the chocolate milk I drank I think i'll chalk up to the cornstarch - which is not in CAD chocolate milk. I love my sealtest choco milk anyway - nothing compares in the world

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2019 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,891 times
I'm in US, Colorado and even the milk allegedly labeled as "rBST-free" (whole, 2% or 1%), it doesn't taste like the milk I'm remembering from Canada (either QC or ON). The Canadian one tastes better. Don't know how to explain the taste of the US milk - feels heavy with something, it's as if the taste is not pure but more complex, even a burn-like taste. Hope I'm not hallucinating.

This has always been intriguing me. What is different? Is the US putting in other stuff that in fact is banned in both Canada and EU? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think the only times I ever eat bread when I'm in the US is when I'm enjoying a deli sandwich (seriously, two to three inches of pastrami, between two thin slices of rye bread--that's a treat), or I'm having a gourmet burger. In both cases, the bread isn't the star attraction, and I typically don't notice it, except as something to slather mustard on.

At any rate, I'm sure that the CFIA would not allow American products that contravene Canada's food standards, to be sold in Canada. In other words, if Americans cannot supply foods that meet our standards for food safety, they're not selling here, NAFTA or not. If the American suppliers can meet our food safety standards, then let them take a chance in our marketplace.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All Fairlife milk products are filtered and not pasturized,here in Montreal if you like filtered milk Lactantia is the one to Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada