Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 12:37 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times

Advertisements

Imagine Quebec declaring independence and no one recognizes it as a sovereign nation, not even France. It's one thing to be independent and another to be legitimate in the eyes of the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 11:18 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
PBeauchamp you really have built up a hate for Canada and its predominantly Anglo population,Where do you suppose this hate for your country and its population came from? There is a solution to your hate for your country of residence.
As for The full francization of Ottawa.? whats the point?
PB is simply pointing out that the ROC's best interests are served in declaring independence from Quebec.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Imagine Quebec declaring independence and no one recognizes it as a sovereign nation, not even France. It's one thing to be independent and another to be legitimate in the eyes of the rest of the world.
I think Trump would have the US recognize it as a new Nation. I think France would too..... Just opinion

Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 AM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
PBeauchamp you really have built up a hate for Canada and its predominantly Anglo population,Where do you suppose this hate for your country and its population came from?
Jambo101, wanting to make Canada a truly bilingual country doesn't equal hating Canada.

Quote:
There is a solution to your hate for your country of residence.
That's true, I could join the separatist faction.

Quote:
As for The full francization of Ottawa.? whats the point?
The benefits of Ottawa's francization would be twofold:

Scenario 1: Ottawa would be seen as an example to the rest of Canada and improve belief in Canada among potential Quebec separatists.

Scenario 2: In the likely event of Canada's future breakup, Ottawa would be a most valuable bargaining piece. If francization is as successful as it has been in Montreal, then Ottawa could potentially join the new Quebec as the nation's third city.

So whichever way the wind blows, the francization of Ottawa would prove beneficial to us.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:43 AM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
PB is simply pointing out that the ROC's best interests are served in declaring independence from Quebec.
Sometime in the future that may be the path we will find ourselves on.

After all, four decades later Quebec still won't to sign the Canadian constitution.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I think Trump would have the US recognize it as a new Nation. I think France would too..... Just opinion

I think Trump would too, but Trump will be long gone into obscurity by the time it happens, if it ever happens, which I doubt it will. I don't think France would recognize it.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Jambo101, wanting to make Canada a truly bilingual country doesn't equal hating Canada.

That's true, I could join the separatist faction.

The benefits of Ottawa's francization would be twofold:

Scenario 1: Ottawa would be seen as an example to the rest of Canada and improve belief in Canada among potential Quebec separatists.

Scenario 2: In the likely event of Canada's future breakup, Ottawa would be a most valuable bargaining piece. If francization is as successful as it has been in Montreal, then Ottawa could potentially join the new Quebec as the nation's third city.

So whichever way the wind blows, the francization of Ottawa would prove beneficial to us.
No one wants to make Canada a truly bilingual country except francophones , and people who dont need French in their lives see no point in learning another language just to placate Quebecs apparent need for linguistic expansion. Your only option IMO is to be Canadian or separate and form your own little French country as you will have no chance of turning the ROC French.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
No one wants to make Canada a truly bilingual country except francophones , and people who dont need French in their lives see no point in learning another language just to placate Quebecs apparent need for linguistic expansion. Your only option IMO is to be Canadian or separate and form your own little French country as you will have no chance of turning the ROC French.
They know this and that is the essence of why they're still waffling. They also know that to actually put their money where their mouths are, severing the ties would end up making them even more irrelevant than they've been told for decades to feel.

Now that's an "inferiority complex" for real.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think Trump would too, but Trump will be long gone into obscurity by the time it happens, if it ever happens, which I doubt it will. I don't think France would recognize it.
My observation is that people from Quebec “do not speak proper French”.

But I suspect the geo-political bias will overrun the ability to speak proper French!!

I don’t speak “proper” Russian, nor do I speak “proper” Ukranian. It has been held against me.

I do speak English pretty well, but then again, my writing is suspect since English is my fourth language.

In the end.....the nations personal interests in the outcome will determine IF Quebec becomes an independent state.

I support it.....We need to get government to support the people at the level they govern. Canada will be better off with a independent Quebec....and so will the world.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If you're thinking about what happened with Catalonia a year ago, Quebec would never attempt independence that way.

So things would likely go differently and obviously out of the 200 countries in the world some would recognize an independent Quebec. Most of them? Probably not. At least not right away.

But France would almost certainly as would a number of others. The US might as well BTW. Perhaps not as "early adopters" but eventually they would in the interest of stability on their northern border.

The idea that the entire world would be pi55ed off at Quebec for separating from Canada is a fantasy. Yes, most people around the world would think it's a bad decision by Quebec and shake their heads. But that's an entirely separate issue from diplomacy and geopolitics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada