Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Some may say it is just a buckle - but Air Canada has been in business for a loooong time. They have a long established relationship with the major aircraft manufacturers and this established requirement is nothing new. They are highly representative of the global image of Canada and they should in every possible way, ensure that all communication, especially public facing and related to safety, should be in both official languages. If it takes another 21K dollars for them to get it - so be it!
And you know what Boeing says - skrew you. Airbus - buckles are likely blank. I've flown all over the world, including national carriers that don't use English at all. The buckles say lift. The exit signs may be in Cyrillic or Amharic but the seatbelt is English, including the Dash 8's made in Quebec. The only people on the entire planet who care are some pedants looking to make a buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM

71 posts, read 48,099 times
The seatbelt's language should be bilingual because that is the law. I don't see what's the big deal.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
The issue goes far beyond the seatbelt, which is not really what this is about.

The media and many posters zero in on that (as they did with the 7Up in another similar complaint) because it's the easiest sensationalist man-bites-dog aspect which serves to drive home the broader point that francophones are unreasonable when it comes their demands about language.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 PM

71 posts, read 48,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

The media and many posters zero in on that (as they did with the 7Up in another similar complaint) because it's the easiest sensationalist man-bites-dog aspect which serves to drive home the broader point that francophones are unreasonable when it comes their demands about language.
The damned Frenchies are at it again!

Old 09-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

No, it's about a frivolous lawsuit regarding a seatbelt that got these two idiots paid because the courts are too attuned to the dogwhistle about French to apply even the tiniest modicum of common sense. I totally agree with the exit signage, and emergency instructions getting equal billing. Those things are key and important, especially in a crisis situation. Manufacturer stamped labels for something anyone over the age of two knows how to operate are different. Air Canada didn't make them, and are not responsible for their installation. The end result will be that they'll be removed for blank ones, then the entire aircraft will die because lift/lever/tirez is missing from a seatbelt.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
You guys up in Canada have an issue with the language law that needs to be addressed. I'm not saying scrap the law entirely as I do believe in some form of language protection for both French and English but something needs to be done to avoid future disagreements like this. Good luck in getting anything done though because your parliamentary system allows for all voices to be heard and I guarantee in the end there will be enough opposition that nothing will be changed. Like the U.S. once something becomes law, it is very hard to alter or rescind. Too bad because there are many other different language case studies in the world including Ireland, Wales, China, and even France that Canada could look at and learn from.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You guys up in Canada have an issue with the language law that needs to be addressed. I'm not saying scrap the law entirely as I do believe in some form of language protection for both French and English but something needs to be done to avoid future disagreements like this. Good luck in getting anything done though because your parliamentary system allows for all voices to be heard and I guarantee in the end there will be enough opposition that nothing will be changed. Like the U.S. once something becomes law, it is very hard to alter or rescind. Too bad because there are many other different language case studies in the world including Ireland, Wales, China, and even France that Canada could look at and learn from.
While everyone's input is valid, your lack of knowledge on how our system works is holding you back tremendously.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
While everyone's input is valid, your lack of knowledge on how our system works is holding you back tremendously.
Well if you have anymore optimism than I do, then I wish you best of luck.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 PM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Urban Peasant,

Thank you for your input.

However the situations in those countries are very different.

Points to ponder:

Ireland & Wales are conquered groups of people who have in the vast majority lost their native language, and in many cases, most semblances of their native culture as well. China's government promotes one primary language over the others, as if they are conquered people. In some cases they are. In France minority languages are in the vast majority simply dialects of French. The truly foreign languages spoken in France (Brittany; Alsace-Lorraine) have had extremely turbulent histories as other conquered minorities.

So, for Quebec to emulate these kind of examples would be like a step backwards.

At that point, the majority of the populace would be swayed to support independence/autonomy.

Yet, as you say quite correctly, we have a hard time getting anything done with our current status quo.

So perhaps the best route for everyone is for Quebec's independence?

Quote:
Mikeyyc,

Urban Peasant's input is allowed just like everyone else, and he is making valid points worth discussion.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:28 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
And you know what Boeing says - skrew you. Airbus - buckles are likely blank. I've flown all over the world, including national carriers that don't use English at all. The buckles say lift. The exit signs may be in Cyrillic or Amharic but the seatbelt is English, including the Dash 8's made in Quebec. The only people on the entire planet who care are some pedants looking to make a buck.
I don't think it would be a big deal for Boeing or Airbus to work with contractors to have requisite official languages engraved or displayed on customer facing areas. Especially when Air Canada's has paid 10's of billions of dollars for aircraft from these manufacturers' - especially Boeing. I get it, It can get out of hand if you are expecting a number of languages but for two prominent and official languages in a country and when your customer is placing such large orders, is it really much to ask. I'm thinking not.

I agree with you that some people will take it too far when a reasonable person would say big deal. Not only that but it would be impossible to satisfy every single linguistic demand, However, I don't think we should just let everyone off the hook when it comes to language requirements, especially for items like buckles that are safety sensitive and I don't think it would be that difficult for them to have English and French engraved. What is likely is that Air Canada did not even mention it on their list of requirements.

It would be interesting to see if the new Airbus 220's AC is taking delivery of will have them engraved as they were/are manufactured on Bombardier's assembly line in Montreal.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-05-2019 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada