Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Who likes films made by the National Film Board of Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who likes films made by the National Film Board of Canada?

I do. Only we don't call them government films, we call them NFB productions. They've produced a lot of interesting stuff and gotten thousands of awards so obviously a lot of other people like their productions too. I've always enjoyed them since I was a little girl.

Back in the 1950's and early 60's when I was in school the educational films the NFB produced for Canadian schools were always a highlight for us students in my schools, we all looked forward to them. Thursday afternoon the students would all go into the auditorium to watch an NFB documentary (or NFB something, they weren't always documentaries but we always learned something from them) and then the next Friday morning the students in various classes would present assigned homework about the film and discuss the film and its relevance to our respective courses and studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...oard_of_Canada

Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I guess those in America would view government films as evil liberal indoctrination devices whereas Canadas national film board just shows pleasant nature relevant to Canadians .

Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess those in America would view government films as evil liberal indoctrination devices whereas Canadas national film board just shows pleasant nature relevant to Canadians .
You know that was not implied in my query.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 AM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I do. Only we don't call them government films, we call them NFB productions. They've produced a lot of interesting stuff and gotten thousands of awards so obviously a lot of other people like their productions too. I've always enjoyed them since I was a little girl.

Back in the 1950's and early 60's when I was in school the educational films the NFB produced for Canadian schools were always a highlight for us students in my schools, we all looked forward to them. Thursday afternoon the students would all go into the auditorium to watch an NFB documentary (or NFB something, they weren't always documentaries but we always learned something from them) and then the next Friday morning the students in various classes would present assigned homework about the film and discuss the film and its relevance to our respective courses and studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...oard_of_Canada

I was a student in Toronto in the 80s and Jr/high and highschool in the 90s. Especially in the 80s, most of them were from the 70s. I still have warm, pleasant memories of the room lights being turned down, the film projector brought in, the vivid analog sound track. Really great production and memories. I definitely would love to experience that again, in a classroom, with the projector.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You know that was not implied in my query.
Guess i've been spending too much time in cds political forum

Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
While American kids learned about "duck and cover" and the horrors of Communism, the Canadian ones were learning about the noble common loon.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
While American kids learned about "duck and cover" and the horrors of Communism, the Canadian ones were learning about the noble common loon.

And about Canadian cultures. Don't forget all the morale boosting cultural stuff, which admittedly may have been a type of post-war propaganda in its own right but it served a good purpose. It was still all good stuff that offered all viewers a lot of insight and understanding about other Canadian provinces/territories, their communities and industries, and the arts and culture that was going on in various places across the nation.

I loved learning about the noble common loon and about Canada's vast parks and geography.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Have you beard the story about Ti-Jean?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_a3gLvrc8

Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Here’s a surreal short from the early 1950s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_aSowDUUaY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada