Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM

293 posts, read 245,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post

BTW what’s up with all the Canada-bashing, America-praising threads lately??
Canada must be doing quite well to get all these attacks from the southern neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 50,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Well said. I agree completely.
You seem to me as a very sympathic person; I don't want to bash you at all, but I know Britain very well and the US. Canada appeared to me so obviously as an appendix of the United States. I just asked people why it is so, and the comments are very remarkable to me.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Especially to acajack:

When I was a youngster, I was fascinated by the wilderness of the Canadian North. I wanted to emigrate there and live a life as a woodchopper or a trapper among the wild nomadic Indians up there, but those youth dreams are all gone now and I live a life as a European City dude who goes to work by car or subway each day.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
Especially to acajack:

When I was a youngster, I was fascinated by the wilderness of the Canadian North. I wanted to emigrate there and live a life as a woodchopper or a trapper among the wild nomadic Indians up there, but those youth dreams are all gone now and I live a life as a European City dude who goes to work by car or subway each day.
Thanks for this, though why is it directed at me?

I will say that this wilderness lifestyle is still accessible in Canada - and also in quite a few parts of the U.S.

Except for the part about the "wild nomadic Indians". They're not so wild and nomadic anymore, and are generally struggling to find a balance between traditional and modern ways.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
y'all, eh, zed, kerfuffle.
What is the meaning of kerfuffle. Does it have anything to do with the German Kartoffel (Potato)?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks for this, though why is it directed at me?

I will say that this wilderness lifestyle is still accessible in Canada - and also in quite a few parts of the U.S.

Except for the part about the "wild nomadic Indians". They're not so wild and nomadic anymore, and are generally struggling to find a balance between traditional and modern ways.
It was directed to you because of your nice replies. May I ask where in Canada you are from?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It was directed to you, because of your nice replies. May I ask where in Canada you are from?
OK

I have lived in the five eastern provinces (except Newfoundland) in my lifetime: Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

I currently live in Quebec, but in my childhood and youth I lived in the other "anglo" provinces. Even though my family is French-speaking.

So I fit in pretty perfectly with both francophone and anglophone Canadians.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What is the meaning of kerfuffle. Does it have anything to do with the German Kartoffel (Potato)?
Not sure if this helps a German but the French equivalent would probably be "brouhaha".

Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Why do you guys say "Canadians and Americans"? Is Canada perhaps in Africa? BTW, when I was in the US, an El Salvadoran got so mad, when I said that there is not much soccer being played in America (I meant the USA). He angerly replied that there is a lot of soccer being played in America, respectively in Brazil an Central America.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:15 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still an odd choice when the whole world associates it with the US South. And Canadians do not really say it.

AJ, just because you don't hear people saying y'all where you live in a CITY in Quebec doesn't mean other Canadians don't say it. I'll remind you of the same thing I told the OP above - Canada is a big place. Come back to visit the west again but stay away from the big metro cities and you'll hear y'all in the smaller towns and the agricultural, ranching country and rural areas. The way it's said here it sounds a bit more like "ye all" (the way the Brits say it), with the two words run together to form one word, rather than "yawl" or "yowl" the way American southerners say it.

I don't care what kind of language stereotypes the rest of the whole world associates with the American south. The rest of the world gets all the stereotypes from watching fictional TV shows and movies anyway, not from personal experience. If they don't live or spend a lot of time there, or here, then they don't know how people actually speak, they're just going along with the stereotypes.

Same like with the OP from Germany who was wrong on ALL counts in every statement he made in his first post above about Canada. Where do you suppose he got all that nonsense from? He says he's visited Canada but he was so way off base about the food, plus he believes that Canadians don't use forks because, he says, some other foreigner told him so, that they only use knives and spoons to eat their meals. His other posts about USA are also off base, so much so that frankly it makes me think he's trolling and has never visited any part of North America at all, so I don't know what kind of game he's playing at. He clearly knows nothing about Canada so I'm guessing he picked up the misinformation from watching American TV shows back home in Germany. Or maybe he actually lives in Quebec since he seems to think that Quebec doesn't copy anything about America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada