Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:20 PM

79 posts, read 50,167 times

Advertisements

When I was in Canada, I just recognized that Canadian Cities completely look like US Cities. They just eat burgers, fries, and for breakfast: hushbrown potatoes, biscuits, pancakes with syrup, drive automatic. So, Canadian Guys, what's left from Britain? You still have the Queen of England. What does she say about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,058,852 times
*aboot.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:01 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,800,387 times
y'all, eh, zed, kerfuffle.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,325,634 times
*bump stock

Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 PM

88,197 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
When I was in Canada, I just recognized that Canadian Cities completely look like US Cities. They just eat burgers, fries, and for breakfast: hushbrown potatoes, biscuits, pancakes with syrup, drive automatic. So, Canadian Guys, what's left from Britain? You still have the Queen of England. What does she say about that?
Fish and chips, silly-sounding shortened words (e.g., "brekkie"), a national anthem that's not about war.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 PM

542 posts, read 499,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fish and chips, silly-sounding shortened words (e.g., "brekkie"), a national anthem that's not about war.
The national anthem isn't from the British, it is from Quebec, an old franco Canadian song.

The anglo Canadians used God Save the Queen well into the 1960's but since then they joined the franco Canadians in using O Canada as the official song.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
y'all, eh, zed, kerfuffle.
Not quite, Ziosite.

Y'all is from the southern U.S., many parts of anglosphere say "eh", zed is from the British, and kerfuffle is Scottish.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
Anglo Canada was founded by the losers of the American revolution called the loyalists.

They betrayed the other Americans by supporting Britain's empire and even still they ended up losing.

They had little other choice than to settle to the north in Canada where they formed a rival, significantly less-successful version of Anglo America.

Ironically this Canada came to depend on the Americans for everything from economic basics to the latest trends.

This is why anglo Canada appear to copy America, it's because they do so jealously, and also accounts for anglo Canada's renowned inferiority complex.

Anglo Canada is the less successful relative who made a few questionable choices, and now they are forced to inhabit the barely habitable northern backwaters on the border of the once rival turned success-story.

For example, Canada has blatantly copied several American holidays. Thanksgiving, Independence Day (Canada Day), Memorial Day (Remembrance Day), and on goes the list.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM

526 posts, read 450,974 times
You could say that the patriots were the traitors because they rebelled against Britain, while the loyalists remained, well, loyal. Also, loyalists were persecuted by patriots after the war, so they fled to Canada. And politically, Canada strikes me as much more similar to the UK/Australia/New Zealand than to America.

America and Canada are similar in a lot of ways, but I wouldn’t call Canada a clone; their mindsets are different. For instance I find that a lot of Americans think of themselves as future millionaires and therefore are more reluctant to increase taxes on the rich, while Canadians tend to be content with just living a modest, decent life, just to name one example.

BTW what’s up with all the Canada-bashing, America-praising threads lately??

Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,747,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
The national anthem isn't from the British, it is from Quebec, an old franco Canadian song.

The anglo Canadians used God Save the Queen well into the 1960's but since then they joined the franco Canadians in using O Canada as the official song.
The French version is also a bit more belligerent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada