Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 AM

82 posts, read 71,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Canadians are not subservient to anyone, the Monarch has little power in the UK never mind Canada.
Canada is subservient to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 08:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
I can't help but notice a pattern of Quebecios who are intent on humiliating Canada. Canada is backwards, Canada sucks, Quebec is going to secede, Canada is an American colony...you know what you're doing. Why do you hate Canada so much?
It's only natural. When you tossed your soother out of the crib or were stuck with a wet diaper when you were a baby, who did you whine to?

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
I can't help but notice a pattern of Quebecios who are intent on humiliating Canada. Canada is backwards, Canada sucks, Quebec is going to secede, Canada is an American colony...you know what you're doing. Why do you hate Canada so much?
I said nothing of the sort and exploring the roots of Canada's relationship with the US is a legitimate and interesting topic.

The US in spite of all its warts is arguably the most successful nation-state in history. Being compared or discussed as similar to them is no insult, trust me.

Stop being so thin skinnned.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Canada was created through gene splicing.
Which explains why Canadians are considered to be more advanced specimens.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I suspect the border was more real around Montreal.

When I was working in North Idaho I was looking at road maps....and clearly the Forest Service put in a timber sale along the border. The only access was to build the road into Canada.

I actually asked one of the long-time Foresters and asked how do you do that with a US Government timber sale and build roads in Canada.

He just said....”it was a different time”.

There are a couple of words for those kinds of roads. It's called encroachment and incursion. Your long-time forester friend was right about it being a different time. Encroachments like that from USA into Canadian territory were a common thing and it wasn't only the American Forestry Service that did it either.

Today if you were able to traverse exactly along the border line going east from Chilliwack straight through to Alberta plains you'd encounter countless remnants of those kinds of roads crossing the border line from USA into uninhabited Canadian territory. They won't be showing up on any maps.

Mostly they're so grown over and hidden from view now the old roads and logged out clearings can't be easily seen even from low flying helicopter, but from horseback (or shanks pony if you dare) it's evident what they are/were. Even today however some of those roads are still used and kept opened up by hunters and smugglers with ATV's.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-19-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-19-2019, 11:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Nitpick, Nat, but it's "The Crown v. Accused." So, for example, "R. v. Smith," where "R" stands for "Rex" or "Regina," as appropriate, and "Smith" is the accused. In styles of causes, as in how legal cases are titled, Crown/plaintiff always is styled first; the accused/defendant last, respectively.

You are correct in that Queen Elizabeth II takes very little interest in Canadian court cases, if she takes any interest at all. When I defend an accused, I am up against "the Crown," but really, I am up against provincial or federal prosecutors, who have been hired to work for the provincial or federal prosecutor's office--that is, "the Crown." Nice, short, and concise nomenclature for who the plaintiff is in a criminal case, but with absolutely no relation to the Queen personally. Our American friends can liken that to a District Attorney, who represents and prosecutes a case for "the people of the state of California," or "the people of the state of New York." Same thing, just different nomenclature.

Exactly correct, and can we please put this tired myth to rest? Canadians have not been subjects of anybody since 1947, and we Canadians decided to make that change, and King George VI agreed to it (like he had a choice under the UK's and Canada's constitutions, given that it was passed by Canada's Parliament). Now, we are all Canadian citizens, and Elizabeth II can say nothing about it.
LOL

Nitpick away Chevy, not an issue for me

Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Canadians are not subservient to anyone, the Monarch has little power in the UK never mind Canada.

I have already explained the history of the Monarchy, the Civil War and the erosion of the powers of the Monarchy and the fact that powers were transferred to Parliament under Cromwell. Although the Monarchy was preferable to protestant fundamentalist Cromwell and his Parlimentarian roundheads.

To suggest Canada today is somehow subservient to the British Monarch or indeed Britain is pure nonsense and laughable.
I've met Americans, in person and on internet boards, who either believe that Canada is part of England, or that the Queen rules us with an iron fist.

Nonsense? Laughable ? Yes. You have to keep in mind though, and it does vary by district, that overall Americans during their pubic school years are not taught too much about the outside world.

That is why the other day an American poster assumed that Canada had no settlers from Europe in the 1600's like they did in what is now the USA, since...well EVERYTHING happens in " America " .

Old 10-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Not subjects or peasants. Canadians are independent citizens. As a matter of fact none of the citizens of any of the other independent Commonwealth Realms are subjects either. Not even the citizens of Britain are subjects any more, the Brits were the very last people to cease to be subjects with the passing of the British Nationality Act of 1981. The people of all the other Commonwealth monarchies ceased to be subjects and became independent citizens of their countries at different times but all long before 1981.

A peasant is a rural person of low social order, crude education (if any education at all) and no property of their own whose responsibility is to work as a farmer or rural laborer to produce food or other resources for the whole kingdom. There are no peasants in any of the Commonwealth nations and other developed 1st world countries but there are still some peasants in some of the still developing 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Here is some more information about present day peasants and their rights according to the Human Rights Council of the United Nations: https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBo..._3-English.pdf

And of course "peasant" is never a legal status (similar to a citizen or a subject), but rather a socio-economic one.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:27 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Crown, is Canada, IE the State. That is how.

Crown Definition

That's why court cases say so and so VS the Crown. They aren't going up against the Queen herself.

We are not subjects, ( some may be peasants LOL ) she had no power over us. Some will point out that she can do such and such, but actually she never will...since once she does, we just say good-bye, and the monarchy knows this.

It is more about protocol, and the functioning of government. A non-partisan ( and forced to be so ) head of state, so far works for us.

This is not to say, that some time in the future we may change this. I think we would keep our Westminster type of Parliament, but have to replace the crown, with something similar. I don't want a republic. However as I've said, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Anyway, how are you with the rain?
Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up!

And thanks for asking; I actually don’t mind the rain. Vancouver wouldn’t be so lush and green without it! I’m really enjoying the fall colors too. I think the lack of sunlight as the days get shorter could be an issue though, so I bought a light therapy box and am taking vitamin d supplements.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up!

And thanks for asking; I actually don’t mind the rain. Vancouver wouldn’t be so lush and green without it! I’m really enjoying the fall colors too. I think the lack of sunlight as the days get shorter could be an issue though, so I bought a light therapy box and am taking vitamin d supplements.
Have you thought about swimming in indoor pools? Lots around Vancouver.

The short darker days can be a challenge for some, although I personally am used to it. Good time for reading, and catching up on shows.

I also enjoy the fact that the seawall, and other great walking places are much less crowded. A good walk, followed by a nice hot cup of something in a nice little coffee shop is enjoyable.

Now I must go and genuflect before Her Majesty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada